Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildkatze69

JJ's new X-Wing

213 posts in this topic

And I'm sick of people using any chance to bash the prequels. They weren't that bad

Sorry, stopped reading there.  The prequels were awful.

I really enjoyed The Phantom Menace and Revenge of The Sith. Attack of the Clones, I thought was pretty slow at points, but it had some sweet parts too. Sure Jar Jar sucked, but no more than the ewoks.

Seriously though, i think a lot of people just hate the prequels because it's cool to hate the prequels.

You're **** right I do. I'm sick of people using any chance to bash JJ just because they can. It's absolutely ridiculous.

...But this thread is about the X-Wing.

Not him.

What's your deal? You and I usually agree on most points throughout this forum. And up until yesterday, I've had a huge amount of respect for you. I'm not bashing JJ—(although if I was, I'd still be entitled to voice an opinion)—I'm only commenting on the design aesthetic that's inherent to his Star **** films.

Starship design as it pertains to Abrams is a relevant topic to this forum, specifically this thread, and it's something that happens to be hugely important to me.

I don't get the hostility, unless you've mistaken me for a flat-out JJ Abrams hater. If that is the case, you are wrong. And I half-understand, since I'm a fan of the prequel trilogy and have been dealing with that bullsh** for 15 years. Listen, I'm glad to have JJ on this film—legitimately. There are a couple of things that this X-Wing design calls up in the context of his other associated starship design, and I'm interested in having that dialogue. It's not up to you to moderate that. If you're willing to recognize the fact that I'm not a JJ hater, and you don't need to be his personal apologist; great—peace be with you. But if you still want to be hostile about it, then kindly f*** off. I'm okay with either.

I really enjoyed The Phantom Menace and Revenge of The Sith. Attack of the Clones, I thought was pretty slow at points, but it had some sweet parts too. Sure Jar Jar sucked, but no more than the ewoks.

Seriously though, i think a lot of people just hate the prequels because it's cool to hate the prequels.

Fair play to you.  But to me they felt more like a bastardization of the Star Wars universe than an extension of it.  I dislike the prequels for the same reasons I dislike the unnecessary and incessant changes Lucas made to the original trilogy.

Too much CGI, too many characters, too many locations, too much jumping around, not enough narrative consistency, not enough character development and - most likely thanks to the overuse and over reliance on the developing CGI - little sense of identity across the three films.

Everything that was memorable and iconic from the original series was sadly lacking in the overstuffed, bloated travesty that was the prequels.

You're **** right I do. I'm sick of people using any chance to bash JJ just because they can. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Not him.

What's your deal? You and I usually agree on most points throughout this forum. And up until yesterday, I've had a huge amount of respect for you. I'm not bashing JJ—(although if I was, I'd still be entitled to voice an opinion)—I'm only commenting on the design aesthetic that's inherent to his Star **** films.

Starship design as it pertains to Abrams is a relevant topic to this forum, specifically this thread, and it's something that happens to be hugely important to me.

I don't get the hostility, unless you've mistaken me for a flat-out JJ Abrams hater. If that is the case, you are wrong. And I half-understand, since I'm a fan of the prequel trilogy and have been dealing with that bullsh** for 15 years. Listen, I'm glad to have JJ on this film—legitimately. There are a couple of things that this X-Wing design calls up in the context of his other associated starship design, and I'm interested in having that dialogue. It's not up to you to moderate that. If you're willing to recognize the fact that I'm not a JJ hater, and you don't need to be his personal apologist; great—peace be with you. But if you still want to be hostile about it, then kindly f*** off. I'm okay with either.

It's just irritating, man. I mean we've got a brand spankin' new, sexy X-Wing Starfighter just... Sitting right there.

And half of us can't do anything but talk bout his other stuff. Look, I'm sorry that I irked you- it's just grating on me what we're deciding to talk about. Maybe I just mis-interpreteded your intentions- though it wasn't against you specifically.

No hard feelings?

Edited by Captain Lackwit

My opinion of the ship... will have to see it in flight but I just think the main fuselage looks wrong in the back, too much tapering.  Looks odd to me.

The engines/wings could be fine, hard to tell the only concern is how the thruster jets seem to have a bend up and out from the large intake... which from this angle again sort of looks odd to me.

Personally I really like the utilitarian design of the OT ships, nothing is smooth with lots of wiring, panels and details.  This looks to add to some flow to the design but not enough to drastically change it, yet they look out of place imo.  

Can't tell much til we see them in action though.

My 2 cents. Not sure I care for this ship. There's something about using original concept art from 37-38 years ago, after which was created actual ships for the original movies that resembled the concept but obviously different. The ships are already out there, they brought back the original cast. Not to rip JJ but if you going to use the original cast, keep the rest of it. No need to bling out Star Wars like Star Trek(which wasn't that bad but **** it was shiney on that bridge, excessively so). It's Star Wars. It's not like the movie isn't going to make back it's cost just from the US market.

Using the old concept art is pointless after the movie production ship came out. Movie production ship should have been the base concept for the next movie's ship.

markcsoul likes this

Yeah, that whole free speech thing we have is a *****, isn't it.

Dieter122 and Hobojebus like this

Not him.

I don't get the hostility, unless you've mistaken me for a flat-out JJ Abrams hater. If that is the case, you are wrong. And I half-understand, since I'm a fan of the prequel trilogy and have been dealing with that bullsh** for 15 years. Listen, I'm glad to have JJ on this film—legitimately. There are a couple of things that this X-Wing design calls up in the context of his other associated starship design, and I'm interested in having that dialogue. It's not up to you to moderate that. If you're willing to recognize the fact that I'm not a JJ hater, and you don't need to be his personal apologist; great—peace be with you. But if you still want to be hostile about it, then kindly f*** off. I'm okay with either.

It's just irritating, man. I mean we've got a brand spankin' new, sexy X-Wing Starfighter just... Sitting right there.

And half of us can't do anything but talk bout his other stuff. Look, I'm sorry that I irked you- it's just grating on me what we're deciding to talk about. Maybe I just mis-interpreteded your intentions- though it wasn't against you specifically.

No hard feelings?

Alright; I'm sorry I got a little defensive, too. The thing is I don't want to see a repeat of the beer plant ship interior on the Enterprise, so that's just... that's a thing in my mind. It was a really sour point for me in those films. The X-Wing design we're looking at really does (in my mind) tie into what we already have to go on—JJ's two other Space-Journey-War™ films. I'm not at all freaking out that he ruins or will ruin everything. I'm just not that way, and I think he was a great choice for this upcoming film, which a lot of us—let's admit it—have a huge investment in.

I was a little iffy on the new X-Wing, maybe a few months out from thinking it's quite "sexy", but that will probably still happen. I agreed with Millennium Falsehood's perspective, and I know you two guys sync up a lot, so I'm sure you understand. In no way do I think that the new X-Wing sucks, or that JJ sucks, I just need to mull this design over and see a little more.

Anyway, yeah. No hard feelings.

Edited by aadh

I do think that original designs would have been better i must admit. It seems like using the X Wing was just a way to get people all worked up and it worked *L* Even on me and anyone who has read any of my posts knows how i feel about JJ but enough on that.

I am not a fan on the way it appears the wings are going to open to say the least. But my biggest complaint is that it is 30 years later. I do understand the point about how we are still using fighters that were designed that long ago ANd i respect the opinions of those who say it. But for me that argument doesnt really work
To use the WW2 analogy which does seem to fit Star Wars. From some of the original design team comparing fighters to WW2 fighters. To the entire trench run being taken from a WW2 film *L*
We went from sting and paper biplanes to jets in 30 years because there was a war going on (well, one and then another, but you get my point) And once we got going there was no stopping us.

Then we had Korea and Jets became more advanced as a result. Soon followed by the Weapon testing ground that was Vietnam. If it hadnt been for those we might still be flying groovy things that looked liked the F104 Starfighter Or the Shooting Star. But those wars happened and we are now in fighters that are far more advanced and look radically different for the most part.

I know there are still airforces that fly the Phantom and some 'out of date' planes but most major airforces are not. And the New republic is a pretty major force.
In the EU there appears to have been nothing but conflict since the destruction of the Endor Death Star whcih makes sense since just killing the Emperor shouldnt be enough to bring it all down anymore than assassinating a Roman Emperor would have done the trick back in the day. And while much of it has been rendered non canon i would still assume that the last 30 years have involved a lot of fighting and therefore a lot of advances on fighter/ship technology.

One could argue quite logically that technology has reached a bit of a plateau in the SW universe. But i still do not think the ships should bear such a resemblance to the fighters used during the rebellion, as the fledgling New Republic (or whatever they call it) would in all likelihood be wanting to create its own political  identity removed from the rebellion and even if the tech was no more advanced would be calling on its designers  to create a new standard fighter.
Now of course all this is theoretical and based on Earth politics and history and until we actually know what has been going on in a galaxy far far away for 30 years none of it is any more than guess work

sigidi and markcsoul like this

Nice mini. It would have made more sense t have the guns separate though. Printability on that might be a bit awkward