Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildkatze69

JJ's new X-Wing

213 posts in this topic

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

It looks nice all folder up like that, but I'm not sure about the curly bits at the end where the guns are mounted, might look a bit flamboyant with the s-foils in attack position.

overdesigned and Duke of Advil like this

I've made a wee image showing where it looks like the s-foils split apart, also the work-in-progress image somebody posted above gives a good impression of it.

new_xwing.png

It looks nice all folder up like that, but I'm not sure about the curly bits at the end where the guns are mounted, might look a bit flamboyant with the s-foils in attack position.

Ah I see now--it's like scissors.

new_xwing.png

I think you nailed it.

new_xwing.png

I don't know, it might be better than the original laser setup.  It always looked to me like the laser cannons on the wingtips of the original x-wing were tacked on as an afterthought.  They don't look solidly attached to the wings at all.  

Corellian Corvette likes this

I'm kinda dissapointed. Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design. This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

A casual fan would probably think they are the exact same ship.

First, I love the new look. 30-35 years in design doesn't look very different. Can you pick the aircraft that is from the 70's and the jet from 2010? There's 40 years between them.

429eef535ba5dc3268eb4e6e05b7257c_zpscbbd

2027b9995d2e641c7babe72175f4db87_zpsde83

Edited by Osoroshii

I don't know, it might be better than the original laser setup.  It always looked to me like the laser cannons on the wingtips of the original x-wing were tacked on as an afterthought.  They don't look solidly attached to the wings at all. 

Yeah, I think that about the original, and the blocky shape of the wings looks a bit rushed too, but still.  Well, we'll see.

Am I the only person that won't mind locked s-foils? A smaller target is a harder target to hit.

But then your lasers would overheat, or some such nonsense.  I'm not exactly sure how they dissipate heat in a vacuum anyway, but apparently being far apart helps.

I'm kinda dissapointed.  Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design.  This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

First, I love the new look. 30-35 years in design don't look very different. Can you pick the aircraft that is from the 70's and the jet from 2010? There's 40 years between them.

429eef535ba5dc3268eb4e6e05b7257c_zpscbbd

2027b9995d2e641c7babe72175f4db87_zpsde83

Exactly.  The same argument I use to justify prequel ships in Xwing :P

Edit:  Only, you know, in a more "what they do" way rather than just what they look like.

Edited by mazz0
DigitalChicanery likes this

Obviously the F15. But that's because i actually know them ;)

But yes, technology in star wars universe is quite stagnant (or that's how it is supossed to be).

oneway likes this

Yeah, I think that about the original, and the blocky shape of the wings looks a bit rushed too, but still.  Well, we'll see.

Am I the only person that won't mind locked s-foils? A smaller target is a harder target to hit.

But then your lasers would overheat, or some such nonsense.  I'm not exactly sure how they dissipate heat in a vacuum anyway, but apparently being far apart helps.

This doesn't appear the be the case with TIEs. Their lasers (specifically, chin lasers) are what, a foot apart?

It looks old, perhaps just a Z-95?  Stands to reason they'd update the design to make it look better in the movie.

After Star Wars tweeted this video someone on twitter asked if it was a Z-95 and they confirmed that it wasn't. They said it's an episode VII X-Wing. 

I think it's best if we don't try too hard to use "logic" with Star Wars--it just kind of ruins the fun.  The force, lightsabers, hyperdrives, space stations the size of small moons, astromechs that magically fit into the obviously too thin eta-2, etc etc

The primary in-universe explanation for S-foils is to increase weapon coverage.

Duke of Advil and oneway like this

S-foils expand to allow greater surface area for radiators. Radiators are really the only way to efficiently (and continuously) dissipate heat in vacuum.

This doesn't appear the be the case with TIEs. Their lasers (specifically, chin lasers) are what, a foot apart?

Let's be careful about how much science and logic we try to apply to movie props from the 70s, everyone.  Aesthetics is one thing.... realism and practicality within the realm of actual physics is another thing entirely.  Discussions of the realism of star wars technology dead-ends pretty quickly I think.

PhrisbeePhul and DagobahDave like this

I thought I always heard that opening your S-Foils primarily functioned to spread your shields out more around your ship. 

Look at the Arc fighter from the clone wars. It's s-foils don't have guns but they still open up. 

I'm kinda dissapointed. Yes they are obviously referencing McQuire's work...but it still looks way too similar to the current design. This movie is 30-35 years after ROTJ, it should be new ships, or if they want newer versions of an existing ship, don't make them so similar.

First, I love the new look. 30-35 years in design doesn't look very different. Can you pick the aircraft that is from the 70's and the jet from 2010? There's 40 years between them.

[snip]

OK, I know the first one is an F-15 Eagle. But what's the second one? I can't figure it out.

To be fair though, the plane analogy between two later planes makes more sense than the earlier ones, since ships in StarWars are a very established technology.  Compare a horse drawn cart from the 1820s to one from the 1710s, that might be a better one.

Don't be such killjoys all you people telling us not to debate the science!  You'll be telling us not to argue over who'd win in a fight between the Emprie and the Federation* next.

*Star Trek, not Blake's 7.

I really like the looks of those engines, they really look like they'd suck stuff in and smash it into subatomic particles :)

me-262-2.jpg

What about the difference between this 1940s jet and the 1970s one?

But that's the first jet fighter ever. Its a little bit of a different scenario. Its not like the OT X-wing is the first starfighter. New technology tends to improve at a rapid rate then kind of slows or plateaus.

We are still using airframes in the military that are well over 30 years old (B-52, U-2, A-10, etc.). While they have been greatly upgraded the basic design remains the same. Its the old addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

aadh likes this