Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iznax

Into the pit nightmare mode

15 posts in this topic

Just played Into the Pit nightmare mode and i have to say that one of my favorite quests became even better. It is a great example of a quest being challenging NOT punishing.

Have you played it yet?

I'd love to read your thoughts.

Yeah nightmare into the pit and seventh level are amazing, easily some of my favourites now especially seventh level. Flight from Moria not so much but I've never been a fan of that quest. Agree that they increase difficulty but in a good way.

Very very excited for nightmare dwarrowdelf cycle.

iznax likes this

Especially Long Dark!

Also, I wonder if they will remove sleeping sentry when they do nightmare for RtR......everyone seems to hate it so much.

Yeah nightmare into the pit and seventh level are amazing, easily some of my favourites now especially seventh level. Flight from Moria not so much but I've never been a fan of that quest. Agree that they increase difficulty but in a good way.

Haven't tried the other 2 yet. Seventh Level is also one of my favorites so i'm really exited to try this one to 

nightmare decks are so much better, and badly named I think. Not as bad as "easy" mode... but still "nightmare" is misleading.

The decks are not about making it harder. Though this might have been the initial idea behind it. After the CORE set packs there has been a growing trend in the nightmare packs to focus on FIXING the quest. Not just making it harder. They update it so it is more in sync with the power level of the pool and often make changes that make the quest narrative stronger. They are just updates plane and simple.. better versions. Being harder is just a side effect, and man are the nightmare versions better.

Khaz and Darowdelf have some of the best quests ever printed, some of the best player cards... those packs were just gold. Personally I am looking forward for The Watcher in the Water.

As for pit itself... just a fantastic quest. The new mechanisms on the torch are just so thematically awesome. The torch burning out, the party entering a cavernous dark location and getting ambushed by the lurkers, the thing that dwells waiting for that last flickering ember of the light to fade away... just awesome and this quest was ALWAYS awesome to begin with.

Edited by booored
Glaurung, danpoage, iznax and 1 other like this

I love the Nightmare Khazad Dum quests so far. I'd agree that they are "challenging not punishing" in that they force you to be on your A game and play smartly, but you rarely feel like you got beat unfairly or lost solely due to a bad draw.

PsychoRocka and danpoage like this

I picked these up a while ago, but have not had the chance to play them yet. This thread has me really excited to try them out! I loved the Nightmare Scenario versions of the Core Set. 

Especially Long Dark!

Also, I wonder if they will remove sleeping sentry when they do nightmare for RtR......everyone seems to hate it so much.

A new nmare encounter card: 'Discard 20 cards of the top of the encounter deck, if able. After, shuffle all copies of Sleeping Centry from discard pile into the encounter deck' ^^

Here are the numbers for each KD Nightmare Scenario:

Into the Pit: 20 Nightmare Cards (6 distinct cards)
The Seventh Level: 19 Nightmare Cards (9 distinct cards)

Flight from Moria: 16 Nightmare Cards (5 distinct cards)

You can find more details here:

http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Scenarios/Into-the-Pit
http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Scenarios/The-Seventh-Level
http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Scenarios/Flight-from-Moria

What I want from nightmare dwarrowdwelf is for the greaves ect of that dwarf to become treasure items (which you add to your deck if you find them so that you can get treasure across the last 3 scenarios) 

What I want from nightmare dwarrowdwelf is for the greaves ect of that dwarf to become treasure items (which you add to your deck if you find them so that you can get treasure across the last 3 scenarios) 

So what you want from nightmare dwarrowdelf is to make the quests easier by being able to have boons...... :huh: