Sign in to follow this  
The Forgemaster

Finding Gear, Keep or give back?

We have been playing for about a year with our current group and i still am a bit unclear about the loot found on missions.

This one time at ork kamp, we found the old space marine armoury hidden away and found som items we all bulked up on and carried home for the DW, woho renown! But we all needed the items carried home and could have improved the kill-team so much we could take on alot harder missions. But as the all caring marines we are, we make do. Just as marines always do!

I have scouring the books for the info and remembers only that when giving out renown you can get an extra bonus "if the characters sacrificed loot for the emperor to the chapter instead of keeping it" - if you check the renown list you will find which one i mean. 

so onward to the questions then:

1: Should the team normaly keep things they find ? (if they are clean and works properly ofc)

2: How do you handle this as GM.s ?

Keep in mind the artefacts/gear/pens found are not Relics, cause relics is returned to Chapters!

If this thread has come up before, just direct me so i dont double do things here.

If the team keeps things they will rather quick make the "Signature wargear" a lower priority choice, and turning away from "marnies make do, 

We have been playing for about a year with our current group and i still am a bit unclear about the loot found on missions.

This one time at ork kamp, we found the old space marine armoury hidden away and found som items we all bulked up on and carried home for the DW, woho renown! But we all needed the items carried home and could have improved the kill-team so much we could take on alot harder missions. But as the all caring marines we are, we make do. Just as marines always do!

I have scouring the books for the info and remembers only that when giving out renown you can get an extra bonus "if the characters sacrificed loot for the emperor to the chapter instead of keeping it" - if you check the renown list you will find which one i mean. 

so onward to the questions then:

1: Should the team normaly keep things they find ? (if they are clean and works properly ofc)

2: How do you handle this as GM.s ?

Keep in mind the artefacts/gear/pens found are not Relics, cause relics is returned to Chapters!

If this thread has come up before, just direct me so i dont double do things here.

If the team keeps things they will rather quick make the "Signature wargear" a lower priority choice, and turning away from "marnies make do, 

I would say it depends a lot on the circumstances... mostly i would expect them to return what they found to either the owners or the the watch armory... However you should also reward them for doing so... for instance in one of the intro missions i ran, my group came across a squad of marines that had died and mananged to not only extract geneseeds, but also the bodies, armor and wargear. After Examination they were returned to their home chapter for proper right to be overseen. The Chapter in question donated a powersword to group as gratitude, and they got a few extra reknown each. Note that they were rank 1 when they got it. The power sword is now being used by one groupmember on a mission to mission basis.

As a GM I would allow them to keep the gear they found in a mission if it works and is all fine. Once their need of it has concluded however, it will be shipped back home for the original owners to use. It just seems like the right thing and even if it is just common stuff, they may be grateful for having it returned to them and possibly reward with renown or new allies etc.

Generally speaking, a Deathwatch Kill-Team would, with few exceptions, likely turn in all salvaged gear at the end of a mission. They would also not be alien to using said salvaged gear during a mission, though, depending on circumstance.

It largely depends on what was found. If it was something Relic-y of some kind, or a "trophy" or would-become legacy weapon of someone in the Kill-Team, I could definitely see them keeping it, after going through the appropriate channels, of course.

It also depends a lot on the way you swing the team and the group. If it's a small team directly attached to an Inquisitor, special rules might apply. Maybe they are radicals? Maybe they are on a long-term engagement cut off from regular supply lines? In those cases, keeping almost everything would likely become the norm rather quickly.

If they are just a regular kill-team sent out from Watch Station Erioch, however, I have a hard time seeing them keeping individual or bulk pieces as a matter of norm.

If they intend on keeping it they should use a signature wargear purchase to hold onto it.  As GM you can advance them more SWGs then the tables normally allow.  This represents them pushing back against the armory demanding they return the gear at the end of the a mission.  

Alternatively, you can put on the armory list with a requisition they have to pay each mission they bring it out.

When I saw the title of this thread, I jumped to the conclusion that you were asking about xeno-gear, and I was all set to rant about how "No self-respecting Astartes would deign to wield a xeno weapon! At most they might keep it as a souvenir..."

But finding abandoned Space Marine gear is trickier. I tend to agree that they would turn it in after the mission. If you want to reward them for it, one option is to reduce the Req/Renown requirement for those specific items, under the idea that they are 'extras' above and beyond what the Watch Fortress would normally keep in stock. So, if the Kill-Team turned in a Lascannon, for example, the first Lascannon the K-T requisitioned would be at a 'discount', with any subsequent ones still being full 'price'.

Edited by Adeptus-B

Many good solutions on a minor problem. I´m just thinking what after a 6-months gaming the KT will be over-geared, but think a proper mix between keeping and paying with special prize signature wargear can be a good middle thing.

If you have more to go for keep on shooting here, nice to read what others do!

I have been known to give discounted signature war gear and lowering renown if a battle brother uses said item well.

IE our assault marine once found a power axe bearing deathwatch iconography in a brood lord's nest, he then snatched it up and used it to slay said brood lord. I let him keep it due to the epicness of the battle.

Similar situation with our tactical later on he picked up a downed storm wardens' plasma gun and used it to take down a unit of tau before his kill team could get to him.