switch8383

FFG any possible snow speeders?

4 hours ago, Hannes Solo said:

Its like introducing Helicopters in a game about Jet fighters, I mean you can do that but it might not work too well.

I was just gonna use this analogy but you beat me to it.

Also for those who have played the 2015 battlefront game. You'd know how inferior snowspeeders are against starfighters. They are great against walkers and ground troops though.

52 minutes ago, RogueLeader42 said:

More like 1-1-1-0.

In my Dirtside Conversion I actually use VTOL rules for Snowspeeders ^^

I could see the argument that IF we are assuming X-wing battles can take place in SPACE or ATMOSPHERE and they involve identical handling for the sake of gameplay... THEN you can argue a 1/2/1/0 stat line to be generous and allow them to use lightened frame even.  You could even let them use a tow cable that allowed you to assign a permanent tractor beam token but one that could break or damage your ship.  BUT the issue still remains this ship is going to be worth maybe 6 pts?  That's the ultimate issue.  Even if a swarm of 15-20 speeders doesn't break the balance in dmg output and hull it destroys the design space.  This isn't a game of Space Invaders.

Edited by Jetfire

8 hours ago, RogueLeader42 said:

The problem  - besides that the T-47 is an atmospheric craft - is that if you'd compare it to real world vehicles it is like a Cessna 172 retrofitted with two machineguns facing top of the line 5th gen fighters like the F22 and Eurofighter.

It has only two blastercannons. Blastercannons are to Starships Lasercannons what 20mm cannons are to 120mm tank guns.

Not that I am arguing for having sniwspeeders in X-wings outside of very specific scenarios (Battle of Hoth). Legion or other ground combat is much more fitting.

But the above analogy reminded me of the Biafra Babies, small orig civilian propeller planes Mfi9b with 6pieces 68mm anti-armour rockets attached. These were quite sucessful, with short very low flying lightning raids after careful reconnaisance.  The other side had Mig17, Il28, L29, Dc3, but they never clashed in airfight.

5 hours ago, Hannes Solo said:

Who wants this? The model will be tiny and the stats will be pathetic. What do we need a 2-1-2-0 y-wing dialed pice of junk for? Its like introducing Helicopters in a game about Jet fighters, I mean you can do that but it might not work too well.

AH-77 Penetrators

I would like a Snow Speeder! That said, to make them unique, I think the base should be a small base, with "two pegs" on one base, allowing two snow speeders to fly in formation, and with there small size, it would be pretty nice.

The gimmik would be the base stats would be DPS : 4 Evade : 2 Hull : 2 Shield : 2

So I can hear you yellin :WHAT 4 DAMAGE FOR 2 SNOW SPEEDERS! ARE YOU NUTS! now hear me out, sure a snow speeder can't take on a AT AT, the armor is way to thick...but lets be honest, from everything described in the lore of Starwars, from Legends all the way up to even cannon, Starfighters DO NOT HEAVY SUPER HEAVY ARMOR, it doesnt take to much to really damage one, especially a Tie Fighter. "BUT ZEOINX, YOU STILL HAVENT JUSTIFIED 4 DAMAGE!!! SOMETHING NOTHING ELSE HAS!!! NOT EVEN A TIE DEFENDER OR B WING!" Yes yes, im getting to that, remember, THERE ARE 2 SNOW SPEEDERS! Each Snow Speeder I feel can put out 2 damage against a starfighter! and this is where the gimmik comes in. the moment the Snow Speeder loses one hull....it loses ONE SNOW SPEEDER...reducing the damage to....2.....  

What can this mean for a meta or play style for a ship to have one hull... Very simply put, it finds a way for a more RPG style meta to appear for this kinda build to work. "Tank, Support, and DPS"  

I would love to see a ship come out that can only work with super weak ships cause the price point, and help defend those ships or screen damage but its OWN damage output is pretty low, if almost 0., maybe a ship that can aid the tank ship and DPS ship  shield regen or even evasive options to keep them alive.... and then take out the enemy with a nice focused attack from the dps ship. It would require extremely tight and solid flying, lots of practice, and would be quite rewarding to see pull off.  And there is still RNG Dice Gods to appease to keep everything "fair"

6 hours ago, william1134 said:

Well just watch Rouge One.  You have x-wings and U-wings flying around in atmosophere just fine... that and the force awakens with ties and x-wings fighting over ground.

You're replying to a post I wrote in 2014. :D We hadn't even seen a trailer for Episode 7 yet. But like I wrote back then, Empire Strikes Back shows that starfighters can operate in atmosphere.

I don't think anything has changed with FFG and X-Wing in this regard. FFG still hasn't given us a ship that's designed to operate in atmosphere only -- unless you count the TIE Striker, but the card art shows it operating in space so FFG seems to think it's not an airspeeder.

43 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

I would like a Snow Speeder! That said, to make them unique, I think the base should be a small base, with "two pegs" on one base, allowing two snow speeders to fly in formation, and with there small size, it would be pretty nice.

The gimmik would be the base stats would be DPS : 4 Evade : 2 Hull : 2 Shield : 2

So I can hear you yellin :WHAT 4 DAMAGE FOR 2 SNOW SPEEDERS! ARE YOU NUTS! now hear me out, sure a snow speeder can't take on a AT AT, the armor is way to thick...but lets be honest, from everything described in the lore of Starwars, from Legends all the way up to even cannon, Starfighters DO NOT HEAVY SUPER HEAVY ARMOR, it doesnt take to much to really damage one, especially a Tie Fighter. "BUT ZEOINX, YOU STILL HAVENT JUSTIFIED 4 DAMAGE!!! SOMETHING NOTHING ELSE HAS!!! NOT EVEN A TIE DEFENDER OR B WING!" Yes yes, im getting to that, remember, THERE ARE 2 SNOW SPEEDERS! Each Snow Speeder I feel can put out 2 damage against a starfighter! and this is where the gimmik comes in. the moment the Snow Speeder loses one hull....it loses ONE SNOW SPEEDER...reducing the damage to....2.....  

What can this mean for a meta or play style for a ship to have one hull... Very simply put, it finds a way for a more RPG style meta to appear for this kinda build to work. "Tank, Support, and DPS"  

I would love to see a ship come out that can only work with super weak ships cause the price point, and help defend those ships or screen damage but its OWN damage output is pretty low, if almost 0., maybe a ship that can aid the tank ship and DPS ship  shield regen or even evasive options to keep them alive.... and then take out the enemy with a nice focused attack from the dps ship. It would require extremely tight and solid flying, lots of practice, and would be quite rewarding to see pull off.  And there is still RNG Dice Gods to appease to keep everything "fair"

Nooooope. 

The armor of an AT-AT is easily penetrated by an x-wing, but not even scraped by three speeders. It has anti infantry cannons. Primary weapon value 1. End of story.

9 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

Nooooope. 

The armor of an AT-AT is easily penetrated by an x-wing, but not even scraped by three speeders. It has anti infantry cannons. Primary weapon value 1. End of story.

Just an FYI, if you’re thinking of the scene that I think you’re thinking of, that’s not an AT-AT:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Armored_Cargo_Transport

I still agree with you that they’d most likely have an attack value of 1.

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

Just an FYI, if you’re thinking of the scene that I think you’re thinking of, that’s not an AT-AT:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Armored_Cargo_Transport

I still agree with you that they’d most likely have an attack value of 1.

Edited by RufusDaMan
Accidentally pressed them buttons. You are right, that's not an at at

[

1 minute ago, RogueLeader42 said:

Which ist explicitly stated to be fully capable of space flight. 

Where is that stated then?

" The sleek and agile TIE striker was developed primarily by Imperial forces stationed on planetary installations " is what I read.

10 minutes ago, Rhaivaen said:

[

Where is that stated then?

" The sleek and agile TIE striker was developed primarily by Imperial forces stationed on planetary installations " is what I read.

The starfighter was also useful for shifting supplies and personnel from orbit to the planet surface, thanks to a larger central pod.[3]Though designed for atmosphere, it could also function in space and accompany traditional TIE fighters.[4] "

with sources ;)

Edited by RogueLeader42

You are linking sources that define the words, not the original text, as to it's whole source...

I'm calling this one out:

" The TIE/sk x1 experimental air superiority fighter, also known as the TIE/sk atmospheric fighter or simply the TIE striker, was a streamlined variant of the TIE line starfighters used by the Galactic Empire, most notably during the Battle of Scarif. Specialized for in-atmosphere missions, the atmospheric fighter was identifiable by its horizontal high-speed wings and large central pod. Largely because of its specialization for such missions, it is one of the few TIE lines to be used by the Imperial Army as well as the Imperial Navy." 

according to Wookipedia,

And:

"An atmospheric fighter, or air superiority fighter, was a starfighter variant designed specifically for flight within the atmosphere of a planet. The TIE/sk x1 experimental air superiority fighter, or TIE striker, was a notable example."

But I call bull on this reference, as it's quoting Xwing the mini game, and the mini game says nothing baout it in it's wiki:

"Although its intended role was as an atmospheric fighter, it could also be used as a starfighter (to some extent)"

Edited by Rhaivaen

It's specialized for atmospheric use, but there's nothing saying it can't function exoatmospheric. TIE/LNs are noted as capable of atmospheric flight, but have a weakness to cross-wind due to their panel design, for instance. Since the Striker is still a TIE (I/E a "Twin Ion Engine") ship, it's literally got the same propulsion as a regular TIE so it can fly in space. Similarly, since it's capable of sub-orbital or otherwise high-altitude flight, it's probably sealed, just like a TIE. From there, no reason to assume it doesn't operate in space.

But, the clincher is

20 minutes ago, Rhaivaen said:

as well as the Imperial Navy.

Aka "Imperial Starfleet" and many other qualifiers. So the space combat guys used it. And, on the wookiepedia article on the TIE/sk x1, it also says "Space combat alongside traditional TIE fighters" under roles, with a citation. You can't pick and choose which of the sources you view to be correct. Either all of them are, or none of them are and there's no point in this discussion.

Also LFL had to approve art of them flying in space on several cards. 

fh6rrpyamxjdars3nvaf.jpg

And this comes from a plaque that was displayed with the models at Celebration Europe. 

Edited by UnitOmega

9 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

If we are doing the swarm base thing I would rather start by giving droid fighters to scum. 

Then perhaps the rebels could get snowspeeders... I would still only give them one damage per speeder though. 

13 hours ago, DagobahDave said:

You're replying to a post I wrote in 2014. :D We hadn't even seen a trailer for Episode 7 yet. But like I wrote back then, Empire Strikes Back shows that starfighters can operate in atmosphere.

I don't think anything has changed with FFG and X-Wing in this regard. FFG still hasn't given us a ship that's designed to operate in atmosphere only -- unless you count the TIE Striker, but the card art shows it operating in space so FFG seems to think it's not an airspeeder.

Hahahahahaha... sorry I had no idea :)