switch8383

FFG any possible snow speeders?

I'd love to see some sort of atmospheric rules for this game- the big advantage X-Wings and Z-95s had over Tie Fighters (other than hyper drives) was their ability to perform well in the atmosphere. This is something the Rebellion took advantage of a few times in the course of the war.

I almost think you'd need special dials, though. And everyone has 1 fewer agility die.

I'd love to see some sort of atmospheric rules for this game- the big advantage X-Wings and Z-95s had over Tie Fighters (other than hyper drives) was their ability to perform well in the atmosphere. This is something the Rebellion took advantage of a few times in the course of the war.

I almost think you'd need special dials, though. And everyone has 1 fewer agility die.

Simple rule would be that any TIE-based ship has 2 fewer agility and all other ships have 1 less due to the TIE having massive issues with atmospheric turbulence. Edited by Ikka

Simple fix would be to proxy snow speeders as A-Wings.  Keep the dial for the a wing, the base for the a wing, and substitute the model on the stand for the snow speeder.  Just need to find one in scale though!

Or substitue the Headhunter, but i think the a wing is the better fit.  Just ignore the tow cable and guy in the back like ffg ignores the 2 man cockpit of the y-wing, and your golden!

Simple rule would be that any TIE-based ship has 2 fewer agility and all other ships have 1 less due to the TIE having massive issues with atmospheric turbulence.

That's a good approximation, I think. I'd like to also simulate the Tie's lack of left/right turning as well, but that would require a bit more work. :)

8 minutes ago, Darth Drago said:

What about TIE Strikers now.  Wouldn't they be considered atmospheric fighters?

They can fly in space (see the Imperial Trainee's pilot card).

That said, claiming the title "Adaptive Ailerons"would work in space is pushing it a bit, even for Star Wars physics.

On 19/07/2014 at 2:11 PM, Hygric said:

I would LOVE to see a capital ship scale version of this game, but at 1:5000 scale?  That makes the ISD 32cm long.  Even the humble CR90 corvette would be 3cm long.  Maybe 1:6000 so the corvette is 1 inch long and the ISD is "only" 26cm long.

Please FFG, make a cap-ship scale game happen!!!

star-wars-armada-02.JPG

8 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Judging from a few revived topics today, it looks like we've got a Threadcromancer around here...

Ha ha! I just barely put that together - today is Halloween! That's why @FTS Gecko said, "Happy Halloween, Parakitor" in my thread that was brought back from the grave. I wonder what other crazy dead threads will see life again this day.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

That said, claiming the title "Adaptive Ailerons"would work in space is pushing it a bit, even for Star Wars physics.

There is atmosphere in space in Star Wars, it's just cold and unbreathable.  See Star Wars Rebels for multiple examples.

4 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

tenor.gif

Time to start loading shotguns and nailing big pieces of crooked wood to the windows and doors, lads...

On 7/19/2014 at 7:24 AM, Rob Jedi said:

why do people insist that the game can only be played in space?

DSC05393.JPG

I sure played a heap of atmosphere battles in Rogue Squadron

A necro thread and a Halloween-themed play table.  Time to hit the office candy bowl.

Perfect day trifecta!!

2 hours ago, Wretch said:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE

Tie Striker is an atmospheric fighter, just sayin.

Ninja'd

4 hours ago, JaxonEvans said:

cough cough tie striker cough cough

" The starfighter was also useful for shifting supplies and personnel from orbit to the planet surface, thanks to a larger central pod.[3] Though designed for atmosphere, it could also function in space and accompany traditional TIE fighters. "

On 19.7.2014 at 10:30 AM, switch8383 said:

Is there any chance that there maybe a snow speeder added to the game officially? I have seen some offered online but they arent the official piece for game play or tournaments.

Thanks for your time and help.

Mike

Snow Speeders are now in legion. :D 
Took them 3 years to realise the market there :D

5 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

BTW, aileron original meaning is just fins. If we assume that some part of the strikers wings are equipped with extra repulsors … the extra speed-1 maneuver would actually work even in high-orbit of a planet. Repulsors are mainly used close to the ground, because their efficiency is best there, but at least in the EU they can find enough mass to work within a whole solar system ... well or at least within the the inner parts of a solar system AND any mass clouds like the asteroid fields. 
Adaptiv in this context means just that the repulsors are vector controlled.

Problem solved. :D

I remember the Rebels tuning up some  T-47s to be space worthy, and then letting the idea go due to bad performance, but is this still canon?

All I'm saying is, there's wriggle room for FFG. Not that they need much of it lately with all the new stuff coming out, but still. Unlikely isn't unfathomable.

In fact, while the differences between the Snowspeeder's case and that of the Striker should be obvious, there are many ways to fill these gaps with fluff. Not the least of the options you can tweak is the combat role- a T47 could be some sort of weird support vehicle in space a la HWK or Sheathipede.

The problem  - besides that the T-47 is an atmospheric craft - is that if you'd compare it to real world vehicles it is like a Cessna 172 retrofitted with two machineguns facing top of the line 5th gen fighters like the F22 and Eurofighter.

It has only two blastercannons. Blastercannons are to Starships Lasercannons what 20mm cannons are to 120mm tank guns.

Edited by RogueLeader42

On 7/19/2014 at 9:56 AM, DagobahDave said:

We've had this discussion several times before. Some people seem to think that FFG intends for us to imagine that these dogfights all take place in space, and they may be right.

There's evidence (in Empire Strikes Back) that starfighters can operate just fine in atmosphere, however.

The question is whether FFG will introduce low-altitude ships. We don't know the answer to that.

Well just watch Rouge One.  You have x-wings and U-wings flying around in atmosophere just fine... that and the force awakens with ties and x-wings fighting over ground.

Speeders add many issues.  A T-47 is one of the most militarized and even it only had twin blaster cannons and a tow cable.  It used wings and flaps to manuever which would be useless in space.  They had no shields and about 1 hull.  The point value would be ludicrously low.  Nevermind a T-16 with a pneumatic cannon...

You could argue maybe for the combat cloud car but why not just add the V-wing which was space capable?

I do not see there ever being a time for speeders.  It doesn't align with their design methods and it makes more sense in legion which is getting them.

Edited by Jetfire

Yes I want it.

I dont really care at all about atmosphere vs space.

Priority #1 is cool spaceships, and even if its a snow speeder it looks like a cool space ship and flew like an agile spaceship in the movie. That makes it a spaceship. 

tumblr_n0qeynKbO31tre0g4o1_500.gif

Counts in my book.

If its that big of a problem just use an in atmosphere playmat like Jakku or Hoth and pretend the rocks are mountains.  

Edited by Boom Owl