Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mantis Creations

X-Wing foam trays

34 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I recently launched a kickstarter 3 days ago and already all the stretch goals have been smashed and as a result I have been getting a lot of messages requesting I'd devlop trays for the kickstarter.

I recently bought the starter set and then looked online for more information, looked at pictures and asked for feedback. So far I have developed 2 trays and will be doing a third for the larger ships hopefully later today depending on feedback.

The first tray will be 380x280x50mm. It will be on a 5mm base, from what I have read and the pictures on google images this seems to fit everything you need. The mission cards/asteroids can be put in any of the compartments where there's space. This tray is designed to fit 2 or more starter boxes.

8a9e6b4f4ac15ca98b5e577e75d9bdde_large.p

The second tray is 380x280x40mm, it will have a kiss cut in the middle so you have two half trays (or I can get it made where it's just two trays), and it will be on a 5mm base.

The tray is for Tie-Fighters, X-Wings, Bombers, Y-Wings etc.

aeaf2adf795f2dca712e5e8a9639d8ab_large.p

The compartments can stack 2 X-Wings, Y-Wings etc It can also store 2 Tie-Fighters shown below. So you will be able to store 30-60 fighters. The flight stands and ship tokens can be stored in empty compartments.

dfe44a51439bfc62c9d2b8bea005e0ef_large.J

If I am missing anything or the compartments seem too tight or I should scrap this and start again please just say, be as harsh and honest as possible because I don't want you to back a lousy product that doesn't fit your needs, and I won't get offended.

I would like to apologuise in advance if I am breaking any forum rules. I did look beforehand but I couldn't find anything.

For anyone interested my kickstarter is here -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932371889/mantis-model-storage-case

Thanks!

admat likes this

I'm guessing no one is interested in these trays? I thought everyone would love a case and tray set cheaper than KR and BF and designed better.

*shrugs*

if i was going to go the generic square or rectangle route i would get a plano case... just saying as they are fairly cheap at the local bigbox store.. and one can order pluck foam online pretty cheap as well... i however went with a BF 720 case because i like the individual customization it allows.. I also have a shield bag and for the price I couldn't build one myself..  i am also a sucker for anything thats "Molly" AND OD green!!  good luck though.. personally i think we need more mouse pad material game mats... perhaps some ICE dice as the ones on Ebay are going for 150,00 and higher.. or some precision metal dice would be cool as well... a green laser line projector would be cool too...  also with the current conversion rate AND shipping it wouldn't really be cheaper by my calculations.  but more options are always good...  

If you are looking for feedback: 

It appears as though i would get 2 spaces to just dump all my tokens in which does not appeal to me. I would prefer they be separated by type (though i suppose i really don't need to care around more than 10-15 of each for a standard game)

I'm also not sure about the dimensions for your damage/upgrade card slot. Is the idea that they would sit side by side? if that's the case I have a lot more upgrade cards than damage cards so i'd have to split the deck so the upgrade cards don't spill over. 2 slots seems like a better idea. 

In general, i feel like this has a lot of the same weaknesses that plano cases have; generic shapes that don't quite fit the materials correctly so you end up with spaces that are way too big for the figures (imagine putting awings in one of those ship slots) and let everything slosh around instead of keeping it neat and organized. Plano slots are at least somewhat customizable with the removable dividers though. 

As for the kickstarter, it could just be me but i cannot tell what "one case" actually means i will receive other than the box and a foam topper. Clearly some people must get it as you are past your funding goal but i would like to see some clarification to the kickstarter page. 

if i was going to go the generic square or rectangle route i would get a plano case... just saying as they are fairly cheap at the local bigbox store.. and one can order pluck foam online pretty cheap as well... i however went with a BF 720 case because i like the individual customization it allows.. I also have a shield bag and for the price I couldn't build one myself..  i am also a sucker for anything thats "Molly" AND OD green!!  good luck though.. personally i think we need more mouse pad material game mats... perhaps some ICE dice as the ones on Ebay are going for 150,00 and higher.. or some precision metal dice would be cool as well... a green laser line projector would be cool too...  also with the current conversion rate AND shipping it wouldn't really be cheaper by my calculations.  but more options are always good...  

The generic rectangles for the fighter tray is from reading many comments how BF trays don't have enough slots for certain ships and KR's doesn't fit Y-Wing's well (the nose pokes over the tray) and the stands are prone to snapping.

With my one, you can get up to 60 different fighters, and they all fit in one slot. I also did this so players don't have to buy endless trays for their fleets and get most out of their money. Yes most players won't need all 30 slots but you can still put in ship tokens, flight stands and bases.

KR you only get 10 ships, which is good because they can be any but they don't always fit well. And with BF you're subject to the specific slots available.

As for the mats and that, I'm not really looking to do that, maybe one day but there's many companies already doing it and some of the mats out there are amazing.

I'm guessing you're in America so let's work out the BF vs mine for a moment.

BF - Foam kit ($30) + PACK 216 ($48) + shipping (I couldn't find a price) = $78

Me - Case + 3 tray set + shipping = $52

= $26 saving and you save even more with the kickstarter deals.

If you are looking for feedback: 

It appears as though i would get 2 spaces to just dump all my tokens in which does not appeal to me. I would prefer they be separated by type (though i suppose i really don't need to care around more than 10-15 of each for a standard game)

I'm also not sure about the dimensions for your damage/upgrade card slot. Is the idea that they would sit side by side? if that's the case I have a lot more upgrade cards than damage cards so i'd have to split the deck so the upgrade cards don't spill over. 2 slots seems like a better idea. 

In general, i feel like this has a lot of the same weaknesses that plano cases have; generic shapes that don't quite fit the materials correctly so you end up with spaces that are way too big for the figures (imagine putting awings in one of those ship slots) and let everything slosh around instead of keeping it neat and organized. Plano slots are at least somewhat customizable with the removable dividers though. 

As for the kickstarter, it could just be me but i cannot tell what "one case" actually means i will receive other than the box and a foam topper. Clearly some people must get it as you are past your funding goal but i would like to see some clarification to the kickstarter page. 

Are you referring to the maneuver dials and ship tokens/flight stands section? You should be able to fit 50 in each (remember I only have the starter set).

The damage/upgrade card slot fits over double you get in the starter set, and with enough room so it's not tight (I measure the cards in the bags they come with) The tray will also be 45-50mm deep so that would be enough surely?

As for the generic slots not fitting correctly. All the slots are wider than the parts they store to ensure nothing is tight (I always hated this when I bought cases for my armies). I make the slots generic enough so players can use them for other things. Wouldn't you prefer that than forced to use slots which only allow certain shapes in them?

The Plano slots are you referring to the pick and pluck? I sell them. I am thinking of making the fighter tray have kiss cuts in the slots to fight 1 tie-fighter/x-wing and then pull off the other but to put multiples in but kiss cuts get expensive to make.

Originally you got to pick one of the two sets and if you bought multiples you could mix and match but with the demand of backers wanting to custom loadout I don't see a problem with it (I should have thought of this in heinsight). And I will change it when I'm on my computer. But essentially now you get 1 case plus 140mm depth to fill with any tray you want.

Thanks to both of you for your inputs I would appreciate more so I can make the X-Wing trays the best on the market.

Thanks

Update: X-Wing Trays Finished

Hello all,

I have been away since Sunday but now so I couldn't upload the X-Wing trays but here they are. They will be done as a set for this kickstarter and after hopefully you will like them.

The Slave 1/Shuttle slot has been done so you can fit one or the other and designed so they will hold in the slot and not move around.

The Fighter Tray allows all the smaller ships and even B-Wings in the longer slots!

bD2lyOj.png

O6IW5vx.png

Please remember above the components tray the other 4 are half trays, and the pick and pluck may be replaced and the large ship tray increased if it allows stacking (need to test this when tray is made).

Please leave any feedback for them so I can tweak them if needed.

Thanks

Good luck with your kickstarter, but the reason it doesn't appeal to me is that I prefer kr's method of storing ships fully assembled. Saves a lot of messing about, as well as wear and tear on pegs.

I'm also not sure where the 'only fit 10 ships' comes from. With kr, you get ten small ships per half tray, so 40 per case. I do like your multi purpose slave/shuttle slots though!

Good luck with your kickstarter, but the reason it doesn't appeal to me is that I prefer kr's method of storing ships fully assembled. Saves a lot of messing about, as well as wear and tear on pegs.

I'm also not sure where the 'only fit 10 ships' comes from. With kr, you get ten small ships per half tray, so 40 per case. I do like your multi purpose slave/shuttle slots though!

Thanks for your support. However, the problem with the KR trays is the fighter tray doesn't fit y-wings properly because they poke over, stands can snap when heavy handed. Also to have 40 ships you will use the whole case and would need to buy another to store the larger ships and components. With mine you only need one case.

Here is a review pointing out some of the problems (not me in the video)

Edited by Mantis Creations

I like the BF foam trays simply due to the fact that the ships don't rattle around, and potentially bounce off each other while in transit. The cut-outs are just the right size for the ships. The PACK 432 is very strong and when closed holds all the tokens and bits even when the case is tipped over and jostled quite seriously.

Given the financial investment I've put into the game so far (3 core sets, 2 each of the large ships, 1 each of the huge ships and almost 40 additional small ships so far up to and including Wave 4) I'm not going to cheap out on the storage for them. Beyond what fits in the PACK case, the 15.5" x 12" trays fit snugly into a standard banker's box for storage. All my overflow and non-essential duplicates go in there. .

Good luck with your initiative.

Man

Thanks for your support. However, the problem with the KR trays is the fighter tray doesn't fit y-wings properly because they poke over, stands can snap when heavy handed. Also to have 40 ships you will use the whole case and would need to buy another to store the larger ships and components. With mine you only need one case.

But you don't store y wings in their standard fighter slots, they have dedicated y wing/hwk slots. Also, I'd need more than one of any case system, including yours. I'd advise trying to sell your products on the positives, not by trying to talk down other companies products. You'll only get people's backs up.

Edit. The idiot in the video wasn't using half the slots available for his tokens, and had his base tokens in the wrong place. It's not really kr's fault if he didn't order the right trays for his collection!

Edited by Eggs
Hobojebus likes this

Man

But you don't store y wings in their standard fighter slots, they have dedicated y wing/hwk slots. Also, I'd need more than one of any case system, including yours. I'd advise trying to sell your products on the positives, not by trying to talk down other companies products. You'll only get people's backs up.

Edit. The idiot in the video wasn't using half the slots available for his tokens, and had his base tokens in the wrong place. It's not really kr's fault if he didn't order the right trays for his collection!

the slurping in the video gave me a headache. I will not be backing this kickstarter, though I admit you had courage to put up a video someone made about it that had allot of negatives in it, however I must say it had too many negatives, if you fixed some of your problems, I may consider backing, though doubtful at best

I like the BF foam trays simply due to the fact that the ships don't rattle around, and potentially bounce off each other while in transit. The cut-outs are just the right size for the ships. The PACK 432 is very strong and when closed holds all the tokens and bits even when the case is tipped over and jostled quite seriously.

Given the financial investment I've put into the game so far (3 core sets, 2 each of the large ships, 1 each of the huge ships and almost 40 additional small ships so far up to and including Wave 4) I'm not going to cheap out on the storage for them. Beyond what fits in the PACK case, the 15.5" x 12" trays fit snugly into a standard banker's box for storage. All my overflow and non-essential duplicates go in there. .

The problem I found (and others) is the slots are pre cut for certain ships limiting to what you can have on the tray. And when new ships are released you need to buy more trays. With mine all the fighters fit in that tray. They don't bounce around or anything. The product may be cheaper than the others but still good quality.

Thanks for support.

Good Job, do you sell it???, grettings.

Thanks, yes here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932371889/mantis-model-storage-case

Man

Again that's not me in the video, but I was using that video as an example of showing some of the problems with the trays. I actually used this videos among the feedback I was given when desining the trays. The most common one was not enough storage for fighters and precut slots was a nono.

Also KR only have a few trays for X-Wing so he and everyone else are limited. I don't get where I am talking down to other companies, I'm showing some improvements needed in the designs and I'm more than happy to talk about any flaws in mine too. No need for anyone to be defensive.

Man

the slurping in the video gave me a headache. I will not be backing this kickstarter, though I admit you had courage to put up a video someone made about it that had allot of negatives in it, however I must say it had too many negatives, if you fixed some of your problems, I may consider backing, though doubtful at best

I put the video in so I didn't have to link to other forums (not sure if that's against the rules). I'd even link a video to someone criticizing my own trays and ask for feedback on improvements.

When ou say problems do you mean the tray? What needs improving I'm all ears.

The problem I found (and others) is the slots are pre cut for certain ships limiting to what you can have on the tray. And when new ships are released you need to buy more trays. With mine all the fighters fit in that tray. They don't bounce around or anything. The product may be cheaper than the others but still good quality.

Thanks for support.

Good Job, do you sell it???, grettings.

Thanks, yes here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932371889/mantis-model-storage-case

Man

Again that's not me in the video, but I was using that video as an example of showing some of the problems with the trays. I actually used this videos among the feedback I was given when desining the trays. The most common one was not enough storage for fighters and precut slots was a nono.

Also KR only have a few trays for X-Wing so he and everyone else are limited. I don't get where I am talking down to other companies, I'm showing some improvements needed in the designs and I'm more than happy to talk about any flaws in mine too. No need for anyone to be defensive.

Man

I put the video in so I didn't have to link to other forums (not sure if that's against the rules). I'd even link a video to someone criticizing my own trays and ask for feedback on improvements.

When ou say problems do you mean the tray? What needs improving I'm all ears.

misread your post, thought the video was your own trays. Ill have another look on your kickstarter

Thanks Torresse, I think people confused the video of me doing the critique.

just dont slurp if your going to make videos (still have a headache)

Last post I'll make, as I don't want to come across as poo pooing your product, because I'm not. I really do wish you the best of luck with it, but you state kr only have limited tray options. You have three, and they have somewhere between ten and fifteen.

I prefer the options they give me for customisation, as opposed to a generic tray set.

I may back for other game systems though. My infinity troops are homeless. :)

Thanks Torresse, I think people confused the video of me doing the critique.

just dont slurp if your going to make videos (still have a headache)

I would never do such a thing! :P

Funny though I had to listen to this video a few times to take notes ha

Last post I'll make, as I don't want to come across as poo pooing your product, because I'm not. I really do wish you the best of luck with it, but you state kr only have limited tray options. You have three, and they have somewhere between ten and fifteen.

I prefer the options they give me for customisation, as opposed to a generic tray set.

I may back for other game systems though. My infinity troops are homeless. :)

KR have 9 trays most of which are different setups of the same ships. My generic ones fits all ships so you don't have to blow money on all these different trays.

Thanks for your support.

personally i wouldn't waste foam on storage of products that DONT need foam protection...  would get a plano 3700 case with adjustable shelves for the nick nacks...  I do keep my dials and base parts with my ships though in the same trey for convenience. so what keeps the x wing from moving around and crashing into things? . also is the case hard sided, if not what will keep it from getting scrunched when it is picked up by the side?? 

To be honest, your trays look far to easy-made for me to buy them. It doesn't seem as if you spend much thoughts on them. I have constructed my own case, so I know, what I am talking about. The relation between cards and tokens isn't very practical. There isn't nearly enough space for upgrade cards. Here is a link to my result. It took a whole day just for the design (I am an imperial only player).

http://moseisleyraumhafen.forumieren.com/t2071-mein-neuer-koffer

I can separate all categories of upgrades and ships, the relation between tokens, ships and cards is optimized. Every small ship type fits (even HWK's) and is well protected. And finally I can presort every single ship type.

Edited by oekmont
Slugrage, Keffisch and Swedge like this

personally i wouldn't waste foam on storage of products that DONT need foam protection...  would get a plano 3700 case with adjustable shelves for the nick nacks...  I do keep my dials and base parts with my ships though in the same trey for convenience. so what keeps the x wing from moving around and crashing into things? . also is the case hard sided, if not what will keep it from getting scrunched when it is picked up by the side?? 

The purpose of this tray was for players to store everything they need in one case. As I mentioned in the post the manufacturer took these pictures and just filled up the slots to the best of his knowledge he doesn't play the game.

There is a "fighter" tray that stores these ships.

To be honest, your trays look far to easy-made for me to buy them. It doesn't seem as if you spend much thoughts on them. I have constructed my own case, so I know, what I am talking about. The relation between cards and tokens isn't very practical. There isn't nearly enough space for upgrade cards. Here is a link to my result. It took a whole day just for the design (I am an imperial only player).

http://moseisleyraumhafen.forumieren.com/t2071-mein-neuer-koffer

I can separate all categories of upgrades and ships, the relation between tokens, ships and cards is optimized. Every small ship type fits (even HWK's) and is well protected. And finally I can presort every single ship type.

I diagree with you on this because looking at your trays they all look a tight fitting and not making it easy to take items out (apart from the cards). Also I put a lot of time and effort into these designs, I haven't seen any competitor able to make a fighter tray fit all the ships, allowing for double stacking, or a slot that allows players to fit a slave 1 or a shuttle. And if my designs were as bad as you claim my kickstarter would have failed.

Thanks for your posts.

Thinking of backing this one, but OP, your defensiveness is kind of off-putting. You have an interesting product at a great price, no need to talk down the competition or insist a once-size-fits-all solution is preferable when nearly everyone here seems to disagree with you. Battlefoam and KR definitely have their downsides (too specialized compartments and suboptimal use of space, respectively), but it's a bit much to consider your option objectively better.