Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KRKappel

Far Horizons Species Revealed

102 posts in this topic

^ kinda reminds me of my ex girlfriends "rabbit", the head shape and all that.

Then again, it's better then I could do... My drawing would look more like the burrow.

Edited by Shamrock

Wow, they're all fugly... again? Disappointing.

I'd prefer to see some more races who would actually be leads in a Star Wars story; those who look relatively human.  Zabrak, togruta, pantorans, kiffar, arkanians, etc.  I agree with Castlecruncher that most of these races we've seen recently just fill out the crowd scenes for Jabba's palace.

Agreed!

Very Disappointing...

Maelora likes this

If they really wanted to fill the role of entertainer and draw from the Jabba's palace scene, look no further:

1159631-askajian.jpg

BrashFink likes this

In 'The Old Republic', the playable races are Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith, Twi'lek, Zabrak and Cathar. 

I'd throw in Torgruta too, but these are what I'd call 'PC races'.  These are the species who might play a lead role in most films, books, comics, etc.

Yes, Star Wars has lots of 'aliens'.  But mostly - certainly in the films, I'm not into the EU - the weirder bug-eyed ones are relegated to supporting roles or just background fluff.  The leads are played by humans or near-humans.

Don't get me wrong, I want a mix of the two, but we've been seeing far more freaky ones than humanoid ones lately.  It's fine for those who want to play oddball characters, but a party comprised of Gran, Ithorians, Chevin, Arcona and Toydarians just feels odd to me. Like those 4E D&D parties comprised of Thri-Kreen, Warforged and Shardminds instead of elves and dwarves. 

I'd sooner we'd see something iconic like Zabrak or Mirialans before they scrape the bottom of the barrel for things like Lamproids or Amani.  So if they get around to 'Dangerous Covenants 3' or something, I will forgive them for having the playable species as Ewoks, Gungans and Lepi...

Edited by Maelora
kaosoe, RLogue177 and 2P51 like this

I think there's a fair bit of reason for FFG to at some point though, break out of the 2-arms, 2 legs, 1 head mould and make some actual 'alien' critters with different anatomy. Sure, you can make them green, blue, hairy, scaly and so forth, but the standard humanoid-alien is pretty much just another human that looks different in a lot of cases.

Something like the Bealisk with 4 arms, a Sluissi with the snake tail and even a shape-changer like a Shi'ido could make for some interesting expansion on the reasons to play a certain species. At the moment its sort of mostly a case of picking a species on its numerical stats and some minor species traits to suit a career challenge, rather than an actual roleplaying challenge.  

In 'The Old Republic', the playable races are Human, Chiss, Cyborg, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith, Twi'lek, Zabrak and Cathar. 

I'd throw in Torgruta too, but these are what I'd call 'PC races'.  These are the species who might play a lead role in most films, books, comics, etc.

Of those, Cyborg, Mirialan, Rattataki, and "Pureblood" Sith are really just Humans with a different external appearance.

Zabrak and Togrutas are most likely going to be in Force and Destiny given those two species strong connections with Jedi in the films and TV series.

Cathar and Miraluka are generally more of "Old Republic" species and with the product line's focus on the Rebellion Era, I wouldn't get my hopes up for ever seeing those, particularly with KRKappel's comment about the vast number of species out there that do have representatives in the Rebellion Era.  They'd probably have a better chance of showing up if FFG ever does a core rulebook for a KOTOR-era setting.

Maelora likes this

For the multitude of "humans + cosmetic difference + modest power/stat difference" not yet represented my rag-tags have been content use Humans, create the character toward an alien concept and then we all just agree that the PC has whatever alien appearance and go on our merry way with the game (although, full disclosure, only the Zabrak is being played at this time).

The general agreement is that should the alien in question get a write-up in the future, adjustments can be made, if desired.

With even the best of the EU now in the realm of Legends, Humans return as overwhelmingly the protagonists of the Galaxy Far, Far away (the droids, Chewie, Jar-Jar and even Yoda are, really, supporting cast). Tano being the most notable and regular alien protagonist left in canon (one-off "Clone Wars" episodes focusing on side characters the only other exception).

And Tano's inclusion specifically to appeal to a younger demographic means that she can be alien (as many preteens/teens think of themselves) but not too alien (she must stay relateable).

Also, canonocity aside, the KotoR/SWtOW games provide a skewed view of protagonists as games generally need to keep within certain design parameters for the main 'toon.

In an RPG, however, each individual has a certain latitude to decide what sort of being is relatable or desirable. 

A humanoid-centrism loses some of its importance and thus valuable book space on "Human but with fur... and oh yeah, an affinity for that skill over there" strikes me as wasteful (for my part, I very much extend that opinion to non-humanoid aliens that, stat-wise, don't bring any significantly new toy to the table).

Let's say, for the sake of this example, that Duros* were still not yet published.  You could achieve much the same effect by using Human and applying the two skill ranks you get as a Human to Astrogation and Piloting (Space). 

Ah-ha, you say, those ranks can only be applied to non-career skills, and what are the odds of someone playing Duros without those? Very true.  In that case I would, as GM, adjudicate that the ranks can be applied regardless of career skills and even assert that the non-human bias encountered during an Imperial-run setting due to appearance more than offsets the advantage gained. 

TA-DA!  Duros!

A Sullustan could be a "human" allowed to purchase "Skilled Jockey" outside of the talent tree, perhaps.

Mon Calamari amphibiousness?  A bit tougher to adjudicate and they are iconic.  Sure, add them to a book.

Ithorians and their bellow?  Yeah, put that in a book.

Not to say that I object to any of the above (and various others) getting page space.  I am just glad the game has branched off into the more exotic and would, personally, (almost) always choose "strange" over "variation on a theme" with my disposable income.

*Chosen as we have a published example to compare to but is still "exotic" in EotE.

Edited by Aluminium Falcon

Mouthy, i would love to see those races, however, I don't think wizards of the coast will give up the rights to them.

Maelora, I understand your xenophobia, but we are not watching a movie. There is no budget to worry about, no worrying about the actors not conveying emotion because you can't see their face (which I feel is a load of bantha poodoo... Miss Piggy can act circles around Kristin Stewart).

With a galaxy as big as star wars, there is room for diversity. A racially diverse crew in star wars would have to worry about the human centric empire accusing them for every crime. Lots of plot hooks.

Having an alien that looks different also allows the chance to play one that thinks different.

Finally...

Amanaman, doo do do do doo

Amanaman, doo do do doo

Amanaman, doo do do, do do doo,

doo do do, do do doo do doo do doo.

The current mix of the PCs in my game:

Sluissi

Arkanian Offshoot

Droid

Wookiee

Barabel

The current mix in the game I play in:

Human (the first time I have played a human in a Star Wars rpg)

Corellian Human

Givin

Wookiee

Chiss

Klatoonian

Makes for very interesting encounters in both games given the time period of the Rebellion Era.

Edited by Inquisitor Tremayne

Dralasite and Vrusk!!!!  'For the win', as I believe the kidz say these days...

Mouthymerc, now I SO WANT to do a Star Frontiers game using EoE rules!!!!!!

TXRyanLee likes this

Cathar and Miraluka are generally more of "Old Republic" species and with the product line's focus on the Rebellion Era, I wouldn't get my hopes up for ever seeing those, particularly with KRKappel's comment about the vast number of species out there that do have representatives in the Rebellion Era.  They'd probably have a better chance of showing up if FFG ever does a core rulebook for a KOTOR-era setting.

I agree they are saving Togruta & Zabrak for F&D... and I'm betting we see Twi'leks there too.  But if they are already reprinting AoR races, why not F&D ones too, from an EoE perpective.  Keith did mention that they will be written up differently for each product line. 

Maelora, I understand your xenophobia, 

Not 'xenophobia', Samophlange.  I actually want a mix of races, both the 'leading man' races and the freaky ones.  

But my players don't want to play the bug-eyed ones, and to me, it doesn't have that SW feel if everyone is playing the weird ones anyway.  I came to EoE wanting to change the events for our campaign, but as far as possible keep the general look of the first movies.  

I'm not interested in 'Rebels', but I'd bet my 1st edition WEG SW rules that the characters there are mostly human. The lead boy and girl will be human, or very nearly so.  There will be a plucky Buck Rogers droid, a 'cute' alien like an ewok, a Chebacca style sidekick alien, and a 'hot alien chick' character.  

(Ugh, I think I just convinced myself it would be better if they were all Gran or Chevin...) 

Edited by Maelora

Hahaha, I'd love it if Disney tried to run an all-Amani cast through it's 'focus groups'!  :)

Take that, Twilight fans!

Edited by Maelora
Josep Maria likes this

Maelora, I understand your xenophobia, 

Not 'xenophobia', Samophlange.  I actually want a mix of races, both the 'leading man' races and the freaky ones.  

But my players don't want to play the bug-eyed ones, and to me, it doesn't have that SW feel if everyone is playing the weird ones anyway.  I came to EoE wanting to change the events for our campaign, but as far as possible keep the general look of the first movies.  

I'm not interested in 'Rebels', but I'd bet my 1st edition WEG SW rules that the characters there are mostly human. The lead boy and girl will be human, or very nearly so.  There will be a plucky Buck Rogers droid, a 'cute' alien like an ewok, a Chebacca style sidekick alien, and a 'hot alien chick' character.  

(Ugh, I think I just convinced myself it would be better if they were all Gran or Chevin...) 

I'm glad most of my players don't have the same view that non-human-looking races can't be the "leading man/lady" of the series. We've had PCs that were Gand, Klatooinian, Sullustan, Trandoshan, and a Wookiee. None of those are particularly attractive.

In general, most of our games have a couple humans and then they vary quite a bit from there. The only thing we all have in common is that, since out first game, nobody wants to play Droids.

kaosoe and knasserII like this

My first EoE group was half human. Three humans, two twi'leks, and a gungan. Oh, and a droid joined shortly after the start. So really only the gungan was "out there" in a non-human sense.  It was a very short-lived campaign, but it was fun.

I can understand Maelora's plight about an abundance of "weird," outlandish non-humanish species in one group. The movies are certainly humanocentric. The metaphor of a D&D group consisting of all thri-kreen, warforged, etc. is on target.  But at the same time, such an offbeat group might be interesting for storytelling.

Maelora likes this

With my 'canon' comment, the intent was that FFG has and will make changes if they deem it necessary. Someone said the arcona were good at reading moods, of which they have never been described at being good at that. I was pointing out that FFG has, seemingly, altered the established/known facts about the species.

No worries, TBS, I was indeed inquiring as maybe I missed something.  Meant to have a "?" in there, but it was so early in the morning and I was so tired...

If they really wanted to fill the role of entertainer and draw from the Jabba's palace scene, look no further:

1159631-askajian.jpg

They kinda did.... Gran females have 3 breasts.  Course their art doesn't reflect this.

I'd throw in Torgruta too, but these are what I'd call 'PC races'. These are the species who might play a lead role in most films, books, comics, etc.

Yes, Star Wars has lots of 'aliens'. But mostly - certainly in the films, I'm not into the EU - the weirder bug-eyed ones are relegated to supporting roles or just background fluff. The leads are played by humans or near-humans.

Don't get me wrong, I want a mix of the two, but we've been seeing far more freaky ones than humanoid ones lately. It's fine for those who want to play oddball characters, but a party comprised of Gran, Ithorians, Chevin, Arcona and Toydarians just feels odd to me. Like those 4E D&D parties comprised of Thri-Kreen, Warforged and Shardminds instead of elves and dwarves.

I'd sooner we'd see something iconic like Zabrak or Mirialans before they scrape the bottom of the barrel for things like Lamproids or Amani. So if they get around to 'Dangerous Covenants 3' or something, I will forgive them for having the playable species as Ewoks, Gungans and Lepi...

I take the other view on this... I find it a very "human" outlook on a very un-human galaxy. no hate, just what it is... I think a lot of this stems from the fact that we, as humans, are the audience. This makes the "main" protagonists easier to relate to. It is no secret that I find EU to be poop, for the most part, but I've found myself dipping into some of the comic book stories simply because they featured someone other then a (near)human in the lead role. The Whiphid jedi, the Nosaurina smuggler, etc.. I think by narrowing our protagonists down, it kind of belittles the contributions of the other species. For instance, duros, without whom we'd all be sitting in our own little sections of the galaxy.

If one wanted to make a case for a (near) human, I would support any that came with something different. Zabrak does me little good. They are already there, just not in name... take human, add spray paint color X, add horns for "look". They have nothing that would require a rule. If someone really wanted to get technical, add a free rank of survival to make them along the lines of past editions. On the other hand, Chiss, had infravision. Miraluka, the Daredevil "blind" people, might be in F&D, given the force sight they have. But for "pretty" races, I'd be more interested in Codru-ji (4-arms), or Zeltran (pheromones) then I would a skin-tone.

I'm not belittling your suggestions, especially considering we got Corellian as a "race", but I'm more interested in getting mechanics for things that we don't have yet... like the radiation resistance of the Chagrian, Clawdite skin changing, the damage resistance of Nautolians, or how ortolians and ugnaughts work.

As to the more "out there" species, chevin, Bo'marr monks, hutts, etc.. and if there is a species I dislike more then droids it's shards... I agree we could do without them, or at least wait and stick them in an end of a book somewhere.

Edited by Shamrock
Inquisitor Tremayne likes this

More accurate then you know... Human jedi type running from his past, human force sensitive kid lucky rogue type, human female soldier type, hot alien chick- twi-lek sumggler type, cranky cute droid- r2 in serious need of a memory wipe, and indeed the early drawing of chewie was turned into its own alien type.  

I'm gonna watch it, because it is canon and I can still learn a lot from it, if not just the background aliens.  I've lifted more then one adventure from the clone wars tv program.  I don't see a point in re-inventing the wheel, so I use locations, sometimes, that are already there.  Some examples...

Rex, after finding out about the chips, had his removed (it also stopped the aging process), and my crew has bumped into him, though I'm not sure they realize it. 

Other clones, close to Rex, like Echo (who is still alive via the series), are also out and about.  Granted most are in their 40s, but they are as deadly as ever, and really not happy with the empire, as it turns out.

I've had the players transport a bothan that got his hands on computer files that prove the emperor was behind the clones.  Said, agent died, but the players know something is fishy there...

I have a player that is desprate to play a talz.  (I don't make PCs I don't have mechanics for, but I do use MorningFire's guide for NPCs).  I've laid the ground work for this to happen as the players have bumped into the tribal talz on Hoth.  

I also steal some locations..

Like Malevolence's wreckage was a dungeon they explored.  Was a fun change of pace, as the age and shape of the wreck made it very unstable.  The PCs opted to do this old school, no guns, just room to room dungeon clearing with knives, sticks, and a sword..

The remnants of Hondo's pirate base was found, mapped out to how it was in TCW...

They found the outpost that was destroyed in the early clone wars episodes where we were introduced to Domino Squad. Where Heavy went BOOM!    Nature overtaking it, the walls still showing scorch marks of the explosion, armor chunks and droid chunks abound.  This provided a "clue" to the players that things were a bit different then what they saw on CNN, as the droid parts contained commando droids, things that were never made public.   

For my players that watched TCW this makes the universe breathe. Things don't happen in a vacuum.  For my players that don't, it still provides a heck of a good time.  For me, it provides a ton of ground work that is already covered, a wealth of ideas for adventures and it begs for "investigation" thus getting the party out of the "combat club".  

This coming Halloween, I'm having them find the ship from the Death Troopers novel, still floating out there in space.  Just a random "let's check it out, maybe something worth salvaging".  I haven't decided to have it populated or not, but I'm still planning to scare them with ambiance---- random noises, pipes bursting, floors giving way, etc.. IMO, once the bad guy gets onto the screen the horror is over anyway.  

I'm just saying there is a wealth of information and ideas out there if you're of a mind to look.

Edited by Shamrock
Icosiel and RLogue177 like this