Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KRKappel

Far Horizons Species Revealed

102 posts in this topic

Arcona and Chevin are both excellent choices. I would have hoped for something besides the Gran, since we get those in AoR, but that's how it goes.

Would have loved to see Bith, though.

I wasn't aware of the Arcona being able to read others' moods. I knew the Gotal could do that, with those cones of theirs, but Arcona? Is this a new thing?

I'm happy to see the Arcona. I think they're a cool-looking alien species, and appearance-wise one would make a great nemesis.

I think Sam was alluding to their heat-smell thing, which he is suggesting can maybe be used to read the moods of others just as their body temperature shifts. I wouldn't call that altered canon.

In general, "Star Wars" aliens have set themselves apart in their sheer diversity. 

I can't help but appreciate that the game represents this, fairly well, by making some very intersting choices. This encourages many of us to explore options we might have otherwise never considered.

Edited by Aluminium Falcon
kaosoe and Doc like this

The Arcona look ok, not my cup of tea, but they aren't bad.  No interest in the Gran whatsoever.  The Chevin look like they should be wrapped in foil and BBQed.

wrapped in foil and bbq'd. Thats funny, I would like to see a alien anthology with awesome ffg artwork. I am having a weebit if trouble discerning which space transport pic goes with which description. So more easily discernable editting would be a plus. Like the luxury yaght stats are on pg 263 of EotE but the pic is on pg 259. A little confusing

Could be that we'll see Bith in either the Technician career book or maybe the Engineer (AoR) career book.  Diplomat career book (again AoR) is possible but seems kind of a stretch to me.

In my mind, "Edge of the Empire" MEANS the scenes in the cantina and Jabba's palace. This line is about the weirdos, the outcasts, the criminals. So I, for one, am absolutely thrilled at the Chevin. Visually they fit perfectly with my concept of this line, and there are canonical precedents for them being either jerks or decent folk.

Also I think the inclusion of the Gran are also for people like me, who are waiting to buy the AoR book until later on. I'm running a pure EotE game, and while I'm sure there's stuff in AoR that I could use, Far Horizons is both cheaper and more immediately impactful on my current game. Not everyone buys every book as soon as it comes out, and by having some redundancy FFG is helping to provide material for those of us who don't.

jonamok likes this

Bith would have made more since then Chevin to me that is like saying that the Trandoshans have a colony on Kashyyk.

As a Doctor, I'm excited for this book. Though I'm a little underwhelmed by the signature abilities as described in this article...

kaosoe likes this

Chevin instead of Bith are the surprise for me too. Nice though to see the Chevin, they seem less human than many of the Star Wars aliens.

As for "canon" it is not like Star Wars is Holy Writ. As long as the game hangs together cohesively and is fun to play I don't really care if it exactly matches every page of every novel, panel of every comic, and frame of every film. The three (err six, no wait it's seven with an eighth in production) films and the TV shows already contradict themselves at numerous points. And that is without going back through the various edits and revisions...

FFG has altered the canon... pray they don't alter it further. Or that they do.

If they can sense heat, chamges in body temp would account for this ability.

I'm kinda lost.  What canon are they altering? 

I've watched the clone wars, maybe I missed one or two episodes but I don't recall more then a few  Arcona in them.  None of them were major characters, except for maybe the drill sgt one that trained the clones.  There was no mention of thermal senses in any of the shows I saw but I'm not sure there would have been.  I never saw one that showed trando regen either. It isn't like the species run around talking about all their cool powers.  

In the movies the arcona got like a 3 second pass over. 

There aren't any more canon sources that I know of.

Given that all this has to be approved by The Star Wars Supreme Court prior to printing,  it would suggest that the thermal senses are the canon rulings.

Edited by Shamrock
kaosoe and knasserII like this

With my 'canon' comment, the intent was that FFG has and will make changes if they deem it necessary. Someone said the arcona were good at reading moods, of which they have never been described at being good at that. I was pointing out that FFG has, seemingly, altered the established/known facts about the species.

Shamrock likes this