Sign in to follow this  
Kairous

Starting Imperial, tips and tricks?

Hello all, been ages since I last logged into FFG and a lot has changed it seems.

Hopefully this is in the right place, but if not then I apologise :(

Anyhoo, a friend of mine has recently picked up the starter box, and, after playing a few games we are really enjoying it :D

To that end he wants to do a proper game in the near future, 60pts I believe, He plans on playing rebels and I like playing imperial.

To that end I was hoping some of you veteran commanders could share some of your knowledge on what units or builds are good for starters.

Any and all advice is welcome.

A "proper game" is 100 points per squadron.

I suggest you use Howlrunner (comes in the TIE Fighter Expansion) with a tight formation of Academy Pilots. If you own seven TIE Fighters, you can run Howlrunner, Backstabber and five Academy Pilots (I think there are enough points for an upgrade or two, like maybe Squad Leader on Howlrunner). If you don't, but you own a big-base ship like the Firespray or Lambda Shuttle, one of those is nice to run alongside Howlrunner and four Academy Pilots. It forces your opponent to divide fire between the big-base ship or the mini swarm, or get flanked by one or the other.

For getting into the game there are some stock answers to this question... get a second start set for more dice, templates, ships, etc.  I would pick up an X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansion to get all of the pilots for those ships.

After that, for starters, just get what ships you like.  It is going to take you some time to get used to the game, the mechanics, and hitting you will competitive lists early just isn't going to help you at first.  After you are settled though, here are a few ideas for you in the competitive lists...

TIE Swarm is still good, Howlrunner and 6 other TIEs of your choice
Triple Firespray is good as well, three Bounty Hunters!
The internet is all in an uproar about the TIE Phantom, Echo or Whisper + anything else is a good list

This should be a good starting point for you at least.  I hope that helps!

Edited by EvilEd209

Run exactly what you like. To get a handle on the game my friends and I just completely loaded out our ships and ran no points limits games. We did try to limit it to the same amount of ships for each player, but the guy with the b-wing and 2 x-wings always won. So much firepower.

Start small, with only a few ships at a time. TIEs, maybe a bomber. Learn how to deploy and approach, steer through obstacles, etc. before you buy up a bunch of ships. Build a foundation of knowledge, that way when you pilot other ships later you understand the game well enough to be able to analyze their perks and drawbacks. Don't just buy everything and frontload your learning or it will be an overload. Too many cards with too many strategies and no understanding of how they all work.

Just a quick note that to get all the xwing pilots you would need to buy the xwing expansion and the rebel transport. Specific advice would need to know what options you have. Getting two ties to sixty points is not a good idea you souks have for our two to three and a bomber. At that point total two interceptors is great. Basic advice is avoid head on fights abs try to flank. Use misdirection and don't be afraid to use your speed to break of and then re engage on your terms.

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated.

Getting a starter set for myself is a plan for the extra dice etc.

At the mo he only has the starter set but I think he wants to get the rebel aces pack and the ship from shadows of the empire (I forget the name), probably why he only said a 60pts game.

We have done quite a few sessions and are both pretty comfortable with the rules.

Currently I own no models myself but its no trouble picking them up.

Im mostly interested in going down the imperial route while he wants rebels.

Edited by Kairous

At the mo he only has the starter set but I think he wants to get the rebel aces pack and the ship from shadows of the empire (I forget the name), probably why he only said a 60pts game.

We have done quite a few sessions and are both pretty comfortable with the rules.

Buy a second Core Set, a TIE Fighter expansion, a Firespray and a TIE Interceptor. That costs $100, but you'll have lots of fun options and it should keep you satisfied for a while.

Edited by Danthrax

If you do not have a brick and mortar store nearby and if you want to save a few bucks several online stores sell X-Wing at a discount (usually about 1/3 off retail).

But I do vote for starting simple. I bought what I liked (Interceptors, Vader, Fett) and even that was quite a handful of supplemental info. Since the a bunch of others were ordered, but I have been only adding them slowly...like 1 new ship and keeping the rest of my standard list for a few games.

The big ships (Falcon, Slave 1, Lambda Shuttle) handle very differently, especially on a crowded map. Even more so with the huge ships (transport, Corellian Corvette).

So my recommendation for Imps is:

Core set.

Tie xpac.

Imp Aces.

Firespray or shuttle (or both if you have $$$).

If it matters, for Rebs:

Core set.

Xwing xpac.

Reb Aces (pending release)

Falcon

B-wing or A-Wing or Z-95 xpac depending on personal preference.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Barrel. Roll.

No, seriously. Welcome to the Imperial Navy. Manouvring is key for eyeball pilots; defence dice are nowhere near as good as they should be, for three reasons:

• An evade die is worse than an attack die: look at one, it has more blank faces. This means you roll less successes
  • There is no benefit to rolling more evades than your opponent inflicted hits. This means that some of the successes you do roll are wasted.
  • One of the most common opponents you'll face is Wedge Antilles, who can take evade dice away from you. To make matters worse, Outmanouvre is an elite pilot talent which just came out and allows other pilots to do the same thing.

Therefore, the key to your survivability is not evading hits you take. It's not letting the enemy shoot at you in the first place.

The two best things in a TIE fighter's bag of tricks for this are:

• The Hard '1' turn
  • Barrel Roll

The value of the latter goes up incredibly if you get to move last. Interceptors add boost too, and a high pilot skill agile fighter can be a right bugger to get a shot at.

The defender is a solid ship, and fairly simple to understand and fly. It is also the most expensive (point-wise) small-base ship, so filling out a fun 60 pt squad will only set you back 15 bucks. It comes with some pretty cool upgrades too, which can be used on your Ties. (Outmaneuver on Mauler Mithel is a great combo.)

Cheers for the info guys, has given me a lot to think and plan about :)

Probably order my stuff from chaos cards or wayland games, best UK prices on x wing that I have seen, bar a couple of bits on amazon.

On a side note, does anyone use/own the gale force 9 space mats and if so are they any good?

Buy a second Core Set, a TIE Fighter expansion, a Firespray and a TIE Interceptor. That costs $100, but you'll have lots of fun options and it should keep you satisfied for a while.

I second this for ships. If you are just playing casually with mates initially you could stretch your pennies even further with subbing the tie expansion for either a bomber/advanced/defender/phantom - whichever takes your fancy really. All extra pilot cards and upgrades can all be found online so the ties in the starter box and interceptor in the interceptor box can be used to field the tie expansion & imperial aces pilots respectively.

On tactics I second Magnus totally.

Some alternative uk suppliers include games sesh and games lore, both of whom have been great and are worth a look...

Cheers for the info guys, has given me a lot to think and plan about :)

Probably order my stuff from chaos cards or wayland games, best UK prices on x wing that I have seen, bar a couple of bits on amazon.

On a side note, does anyone use/own the gale force 9 space mats and if so are they any good?

Gale Force 9 playmats are AWESOME! I have and it is so worth the money.

Edited by tiefanatic