Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aluminium Falcon

Strain and "Combat"

60 posts in this topic

I don't, but I do place some limitations on it, the most obvious one is, can they hear you?  Not likely in the middle of a gun fight.

Sure they can, it's Short range only. Just pile on some setback dice for background noise and roll the dice. :)

And watch as your politico laugh at your feeble black dice, with their Remove Black Die talents.

could anyone give examples? star wars relevance for bonus points.

Its not Star Wars, but will a Lucasarts Game do?1

Also, Scathing Tirade can goad someone to combat when they're not ready:

kaosoe likes this

Words can, in fact, kill.  I think we can all agree that Dirty Harry has "Scathing Tirade" (from "Sudden Impact"):

I first saw this movie when I was playing Champions.  Back then, Dirty Harry made one heck of a Presence Attack on the guy :)

Desslok likes this

I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned some of the iconic fights in Star Wars when mentioning Scathing Tirade. The most obvious one to me is the final scene on the Death Star in Episode 6. While Luke and Vader are dueling it out, the Emperor is doling out round after round of threats and comments belittling Luke's resolve to stay true to his friends. Every time there's a break in the fight, there's that evil chuckle hovering over the entire scene, intensifying the battle.

On another note, I don't think Scathing Tirade is meant to only be insulting the opponent's mother and referencing his love making with space fauna. Intimidation, showing your opponents how hopeless they are, how powerful and infamous your group is, how their lives will soon end; these are the ways I see Scathing Tirade being used. Shouting from behind cover just doesn't give the talent its dramatic flair (or believability).

kaosoe, whafrog, GranSolo and 3 others like this

On another note, I don't think Scathing Tirade is meant to only be insulting the opponent's mother and referencing his love making with space fauna. Intimidation, showing your opponents how hopeless they are, how powerful and infamous your group is, how their lives will soon end; these are the ways I see Scathing Tirade being used. Shouting from behind cover just doesn't give the talent its dramatic flair (or believability).

That's why my politico stood in the middle of the battle shouting things like, "Do you know who I am?!?" and everyone's favorite, "This wookie is going to rip your arms off and beat you to death with them." Only a couple of times I annoyed the GM/enemies enough where the chose to shoot the screaming politician instead of the raging wookie.

bradknowles likes this

could anyone give examples? star wars relevance for bonus points.

Id say thats a successful scathing tirade with multiple triumphs considering he's making people not even in the room with him take strain

It's a successful tirade, although not necessarily appropriate in game terms. Who scathing tirade's their own leaders? Maybe in an extreme example, but this is a little counter-intuitive to using Scathing Tirade in normal combat.

Almost every Darth in the movies has a scathing tirade action; Dooku, Anakin v. Obiwan, Vader v. Obiwan, Palpatine v. Windu/Yoda, Palpatine v. Anyone really. Anytime a villain talks in a Star Wars duel, assume a scathing tirade. In EotE terms, you're basically employing these elements against (usually) less dramatic situations.

Who scathing tirade's their own leaders?

Obviously Hitler.

Plenty of examples. How about Patton with his own troops? He tried yelling at battle fatigued soldiers. If you ask me, this was a Scathing Tirade (or at least a Coersion check) to try to get the soldier to "man up" and go back to fighting. Some people believe that a stick works better than honey.

To put this into game terms, perhaps the GM ruled that topping out the Strain Threshold to result in the target begrugingly doing what you demand of them. Perhaps not 100% approperate for Scathing Tirade, but completly legit for Coersion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton_slapping_incidents

From wiki:

On 10 August, Patton entered the receiving tent of the hospital, speaking to the injured there. Patton approached Bennett, who was huddled and shivering, and asked what the trouble was. "It's my nerves," Bennett responded. "I can't stand the shelling anymore."[13] Patton reportedly became enraged at him, slapping him across the face. He began yelling: "Your nerves, hell, you are just a goddamned coward. Shut up that goddamned crying. I won't have these brave men who have been shot at seeing this yellow bastard sitting here crying."[13] Patton then reportedly slapped Bennett again, knocking his helmet liner off, and ordered the receiving officer, Major Charles B. Etter,[24] not to admit him.[13] Patton then threatened Bennett, "You're going back to the front lines and you may get shot and killed, but you're going to fight. If you don't, I'll stand you up against a wall and have a firing squad kill you on purpose. In fact, I ought to shoot you myself, you goddamned whimpering coward."[25] Upon saying this, Patton pulled out his pistol threateningly, prompting the hospital's commander, Colonel Donald E. Currier, to physically separate the two. Patton left the tent, yelling to medical officers to send Bennett back to the front lines.[25]

I agree with 2P51: RAW states that it's any time a check is made, and you make a check to use Scathing Tirade. It's the same as allowing a reroll from "Natural Marksman" when using a combat talent: it's a check, the PC gets to reroll.

I agree with 2P51: RAW states that it's any time a check is made, and you make a check to use Scathing Tirade. It's the same as allowing a reroll from "Natural Marksman" when using a combat talent: it's a check, the PC gets to reroll.

Note that a few posts earlier, it was clarified by Sam Stewart that the Scathing Tirade action and a standard "Coercion Check" are two separate actions. So this particular interpretation of the RAW is not supported.

Note also that it is the nature of the game that each individual Success and Advantage pip are used once. As in, you can't use the same 2 Advantage on a combat check to both cause a critical hit and activate the autofire quality on a blaster.

Jamwes likes this