Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popn618

Lesser Known Rules

62 posts in this topic

Like I said. Ambiguous and stilk being debated.

Actually in terms of the ruling, there is no ambiguity whatsoever:

2 ships overlapped, “Touching”

Anything else and they are not, simple really.

Any 2 parallel objects that then move in a straight line the exact same distance cannot physically overlap.

The only real ambiguity in this scenario is the fact that the technical term FFG decided to use in the rule book is contradictory in terms of it's real world usage i.e. touching means physical contact.

If “Touching” in the terms of the rules was called for example “Close Quarters” there would be no ambiguity at all.

E.G

“If 2 ships are in close quarters they cannot shoot at each other”

“If you would overlap a ship, instead you perform your move as far as you can, then those ships are in close quarters”

“Ships that are Physically in contact but are not in close quarters may shoot at each other”

Does this make sense now?

If your template passes over an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit.

If your ship stops on an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit AND you lose your attack that round. It's under the section on Obstacles as I recall. I've double-checked it a few times as it's always been a fuzzy distinction for many people.

Huh. FOr whatever reason, I remembered it was lose an action, not lose an attack. Good to know.

You do lose an action, both when passing through and landing on an obstacle. This is the relevant section of the rules:

When a ship executes a maneuver in which either the maneuver template or the ship’s base physically overlaps an obstacle token, follow these steps:

1. Execute the maneuver as normal, but skip the “Perform Action” step.

2. The player rolls one attack die. The ship then suffers any damage or critical damage rolled (see “Suffering Damage” on page 16).

important: When overlapping an obstacle token, the ship stays where it lands (on top of the token). A ship that is overlapping an obstacle token during the Combat phase cannot attack any ship but may be targeted by other ships as normal. 

Edited by haslo

when u boost, u can check to see if ur ship lands on an asteroid and then change your mind if it does. depending on what level of rules enforcement u r playing you may have to bank boost the other way to avoid the asteroid or u might just change ur action and say ur not boosting because u cant boost onto an asteroid. check with the TO to see if u have to bank boost the other way if u cancel the first boost action tho.

sigh.. wish admin were around. 

This thread should be stickied in the "rule questions" sub section of this forum. We need new sub sections too. like one for building lists / advice ect. This is a really useful thread that is going to get buried sooner or later and lost to time. :(

Edited by oddeye

To clarify the "landing on an obstacle" bit

You DO NOT lose your ability to attack that round by landing on an asteroid - You are unable to attack that round, if you are still on an asteroid when it's your turn to shoot.

There are ways to land on an asteroid, and get off it before the combat phase. If you manage that, you can attack even though you landed on an asteroid earlier that turn.

The one with losing your stealth device only after being hit is a bit tricky. I've seen many people discard it after hitting an asteroid.

when u boost, u can check to see if ur ship lands on an asteroid and then change your mind if it does. depending on what level of rules enforcement u r playing you may have to bank boost the other way to avoid the asteroid or u might just change ur action and say ur not boosting because u cant boost onto an asteroid. check with the TO to see if u have to bank boost the other way if u cancel the first boost action tho.

If I'm playing at a tournament, I would expect to be playing by tournament rules.

If you overlap another ship and are base to base with it, you are "touching" that ship. You cannot barrel roll, boost, or decloak into a touching situation as you have to overlap to be considered touching, and those maneuvers are barred from overlapping.

Not quite correct.  If you overlap during your movement phase, you skip your perform an action phase and thus can't boost/barrel roll, etc.  However if you are supplied a free action later (Turr Phennir after shooting for example) can now barrel roll or boost, so long as he/she doesn't overlap as per the normal rulings of Boost and Barrel Roll, etc.

You do not have to go the other direction if you don't want to. It used to be kind of ambiguous, but the latest update to the FAQ/tourney rules make it clear that you declare a direction you are trying to boost and if you can't do it you can choose a different action altogether if you want.

If you overlap another ship and are base to base with it, you are "touching" that ship. You cannot barrel roll, boost, or decloak into a touching situation as you have to overlap to be considered touching, and those maneuvers are barred from overlapping.

Not quite correct.  If you overlap during your movement phase, you skip your perform an action phase and thus can't boost/barrel roll, etc.  However if you are supplied a free action later (Turr Phennir after shooting for example) can now barrel roll or boost, so long as he/she doesn't overlap as per the normal rulings of Boost and Barrel Roll, etc.

What I was trying to get across here is that you cannot BR, boost, or decloak into a touching scenario. You have to overlap to be touching, and BR, Boost, and decloak don't allow for overlapping when you use them.

So, a ship can't barrel roll and make contact with a ship and declare that they can't shoot at one another. They can shoot at one another as they are physically adjacent and not "touching" (as per rule definition of overlapping and backing up to touch, p.17 core rulebook)

If your template passes over an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit.

If your ship stops on an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit AND you lose your attack that round. It's under the section on Obstacles as I recall. I've double-checked it a few times as it's always been a fuzzy distinction for many people.

Huh. FOr whatever reason, I remembered it was lose an action, not lose an attack. Good to know.

Whoops, looks like I forgot to specify that. Yes, you lose your action too, same as with overlapping.

That bombs and mines are not obstacles (especially when it comes to boosts, barrels rolls, and decloaking).

Just to elaborate a bit on that bomb/mine reference. Yes they are not obstacles so the rule stopping you from barrel rolling/ boosting onto them does not apply. The rules for Proximity Mine triggering used to also say that it only blew up if a ship executed a maneuver over it (which of course barrel roll/boost are not). It was changed in the last version or two of the F.A.Q. though so that now those actions will cause it to 'splode. 

Yes, exactly. Which makes it much more dangerous to attempt a barrel roll, boost, or de-cloak around a Proximity Mine than around an asteroid, as the latter would be an illegal move and allow you to do something else instead, whereas being in a tight spot next to a proximity mine require you to be quite good at eye-balling before attempting the action.

I love TIE bombers and though a loyal Imperial I know no better use of my bombers than to fence in Phantoms with mines.