Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popn618

Lesser Known Rules

62 posts in this topic

If your template passes over an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit.

If your ship stops on an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit AND you lose your attack that round. It's under the section on Obstacles as I recall. I've double-checked it a few times as it's always been a fuzzy distinction for many people.

UnfairBanana likes this

@Gullwind - Care to clarify that? As I'm not quite sure how you mean.

Cheers

It is possible to angle the target on the edge of a firing arc such that the corner of the target outside the attackers arc us closer to the attacker than any point of the base inside the arc. If the target also happens to be straddling the line between two range bands it can make a difference.

You cannot re-roll a dice that has already been re-rolled. That one was new to me recently.

Also, what's this about not being able to attack if you land on an asteroid? I definitely missed that one.

This is pretty much a fundamental rule of X-Wing... 

You have to take a shot if you can.

This rule bummed out my Whisper because he had to shoot at a slave 1 with rebel captive.

Uh, what? Page 10 of the core rulebook:

Combat Phase:

During this phase, each ship may perform one attack against one enemy ship that is inside its firing arc and within range.
Edited by WonderWAAAGH

You cannot re-roll a dice that has already been re-rolled. That one was new to me recently.

Also, what's this about not being able to attack if you land on an asteroid? I definitely missed that one.

This is pretty much a fundamental rule of X-Wing... 

and any other game that involves dice

There's a few rules buried in the blue side bars in the rulebook that seem to get missed out quite often. After reading the rules questions forum for the last few months, I keep seeing some basic questions keep coming up that can be answered by reading the rulebook. As Kellyj stated further up, it's not a big rulebook. I've purposely steered clear of 40K for three main reasons: the cost, the neverending updated rulebooks, and the fact that there's usually a rule and then an exception to it for a special character. Trying to keep all that sorted is just a nightmare I don't wish to inflict on myself.

By VAST contrast, X-Wing is simple and easy to pick up, as evidenced by the number of members here that have successfully taught their kids to play. And the beauty of it, is it's nice, small, concise rulebook. But you can't just read it once and think you know everything. If you're new to the game, read the rules, ALL the rules, even the blue sidebar bits, especially those bits, and you may find you'll learn something new about the game.

Hobojebus, Forensicus and haslo like this

This rule bummed out my Whisper because he had to shoot at a slave 1 with rebel captive.

Combat Phase:

During this phase, each ship may perform one attack against one enemy ship that is inside its firing arc and within range.

What the...

I was told by two players more experienced than me so I believed it.

They also said "you have to do it now" which suggested a rule change to me.

Thanks for putting me right.

Combat Phase:

What the...

Sometimes it's the "more experienced" players that are the dodgy ones. There's no substitute for knowing the rules.

Mace Windu and Hobojebus like this

The fact that a movement template can extend outside the play area and as long as the base of the ship stays inside the play area from start to finish, it is not considered fleeing.

Saboteur and Raxler's abilities work on Chewie due to them acting on the cards already dealt and not dealing a critical themselves.

If a ship lands on an asteroid, it only rolls and loses its action on the turn after if the maneuver template overlaps the object token a second time.

Ten Numbs and autoblasters damage can be avoided with an evade token (only one in the case of the auto).

When estimating the placement of a ship after a collision, you line up the front and back nubs of the base with the movement template as best as possible.

Turret weapons allow firing outside of the primary arc, but does not make the primary arc extend in a 360 around the ship.

Darkcurse is immune to secondary weapons that require focus to fire (Blaster turret, dead eye missile).

R2-D2 can regenerate shields even if the hull of the ship he is equipped to has taken damage.

Quite a few tournament rules that are forgotten but I wont go fully into right now, but a few like the following:

Once you active a ship for firing it is must finish its attack before measuring the next ship.

You can only measure distances when using an action or attack that requires it.

Attacks and abilities that are not triggered at the right time can be considered missed and do not active.

You must declare the target of a target lock before measuring the distance.

You must declare the side of the barrel roll and if it is possible to do it from any available area of the ships base it must be completed and a few other ones, same ruling with boost.

More importantly for winning a full win is granted on 12 points or more over your opponent of total destroy ships and no longer 33. I know there are others but some of these come up a lot at my local store.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs
haslo likes this

That ruling is still being debated here. To me ships can touch withoyt overlapping. But someone posted a repry from Frank at FFG. This reply is interpreted to indicate the opposite. Which in my mind makes the rules wildly ambiguous.

That ruling is still being debated here. To me ships can touch withoyt overlapping. But someone posted a repry from Frank at FFG. This reply is interpreted to indicate the opposite. Which in my mind makes the rules wildly ambiguous.

l belive the reason is that the term "Touching" in the rules of X-Wing do not mean physically in contact. "Touching" mean "this ship overlapped another ship" .

If 2 ships "Overlapped" the previous turn and are parallel to each other they cannot "Overlap" the next turn if they both perform the same straight manouvre.

at the end of that move they may be physically in contact but they are not "Touching"

Forensicus likes this

Cheers

Cheers

It is possible to angle the target on the edge of a firing arc such that the corner of the target outside the attackers arc us closer to the attacker than any point of the base inside the arc. If the target also happens to be straddling the line between two range bands it can make a difference.

Basically it and Gullwind means that at any time when measuring for Range during combat you may only or rather MUST measure within your firing arc. This is in contrast to when measuring for Target Lock.

If you take a look at the top left picture on page 11 in the rulebook:

Even though the Academy Pilots nearest point is at Range 2 the closest point that is within the Rookie's fringe arc is at Range 3. So it is a Range 3 shot for the Rookie

If you K-turn and overlap a ship you don't turn around but keep flying straight, and still get the stress. If you overlap an obstacle you complete the K-turn, and suffer the effects of running over/landing on an obstacle.

Card text overrides the general rules. If a card ability forbids an effect, while another ability allows it, the effect is forbidden.

If you overlap another ship and are base to base with it, you are "touching" that ship. You cannot barrel roll, boost, or decloak into a touching situation as you have to overlap to be considered touching, and those maneuvers are barred from overlapping.

Physically adjacent and touching are two different things. The first is your ships are base to base but can target one another, the other is base to base after an overlap but can't target one another.

The steps for resolving an attack are:

Attacker rolls dice

Defender modifies them

Attacker modifies them

Defender rolls defence dice

Attacker modifies the defence dice

Defender modifies the defence dice

Cancel out and determine results

Suffer damage.

Being dealt a face up crit card is not the same as having a card flipped face up.

Unless a card text says "may", or uses the "Action" or "Attack" headers, then the ability is mandatory and must be followed.

A range ruller must overlap a part of the target base to be in range 3. If the range ruler sits flat on the table, but touches both bases, the target is outside of range 3.

*If you have any question regarding the rules or want a clarification for how you think it works, start a thread about it on the Rules Thread forum and you will get helped. 

swimmingordy likes this

• Yup, the one with secondary weapons and range.
  • The rule of simultaneous fire.
  • The use of the tokens for critical damage.
  • That you are only barred from shooting if you land on an obstacle (not from flying through it).
  • That bombs and mines are not obstacles (especially when it comes to boosts, barrels rolls, and decloaking).
  • A number of details to specific pilot or upgrade cards (such as, you can in fact land Critical hits with a Heavy Laser Canon or that you can only use C-3P0 once per round).
  • And specific for tournaments the rules on what you are allowed to measure when.

Just to elaborate a bit on that bomb/mine reference. Yes they are not obstacles so the rule stopping you from barrel rolling/ boosting onto them does not apply. The rules for Proximity Mine triggering used to also say that it only blew up if a ship executed a maneuver over it (which of course barrel roll/boost are not). It was changed in the last version or two of the F.A.Q. though so that now those actions will cause it to 'splode. 

Cremate likes this

If your template passes over an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit.

If your ship stops on an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit AND you lose your attack that round. It's under the section on Obstacles as I recall. I've double-checked it a few times as it's always been a fuzzy distinction for many people.

Huh. FOr whatever reason, I remembered it was lose an action, not lose an attack. Good to know.

haslo likes this

@ Stronghammer

Sorry, I didn't see you post until this morning. Forgottenlore and Forensicus explained it better than I did. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

the second action from PTL can only be one on your bar.  So if you are say an A-wing with 2 EPTs or a Droid/crew capable ship that gives an action you need to do the EPT/Droid/Crew or if you have a crit specific action 1st otherwise it is technically illegal

Along those lines droid/EPT/crew actions can still be used if you have the damaged sensor array card as most of those actions are not "on your bar"

EU actually places the boost on your bar so you cannot use it when you have the damaged sensor crit but you can use it as the second action with PTL

Combat Phase:

What the...

Learn the rules. I had to clarify rules to veterans. I am taking they just didn't know better (stuff like using against me C3PO for every attack instead of once per round, because well, i didn't really know what a round was on Xwing, i am guessing they didn't either... i had a silly discussion on my part on this forum for that screw up... my ties would had killed his han long ago). After discovering that i just read the rulebook, to be honest, it is pretty short and simple so there is little excuse for us to not learn it.

Edited by Yipikayey