Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popn618

Lesser Known Rules

62 posts in this topic

Since I can't play this weekend, I figure I can try and get better while I wait.

What are some of the lesser know rules that youve seen or used? I'm thinking things like "not getting a range 3 extra-defense from secondary weapons" (fairly well known) or that a barrell roll is anything flush on your base on both sides so you can finagle forwards or backwards as needed off of it.

I'm not really looking for ways to cheat but just rules that could be forgotten about that that could be advantageous to one side.

• Yup, the one with secondary weapons and range.

The rule of simultaneous fire.

The use of the tokens for critical damage.

That you are only barred from shooting if you land on an obstacle (not from flying through it).

That bombs and mines are not obstacles (especially when it comes to boosts, barrels rolls, and decloaking).

A number of details to specific pilot or upgrade cards (such as, you can in fact land Critical hits with a Heavy Laser Canon or that you can only use C-3P0 once per round).

And specific for tournaments the rules on what you are allowed to measure when.

What Tezza said, the best thing you can do is read the rulebook, then read it again then go and read the FAQ and then read it again.

A lot of the questions that come up in the question forum are actually there in the rules but people tend to gloss over them or only read the rules only once when they first started

haslo and Parravon like this

Etahn's arc extends beyond range 3.

But his skill doesn't (it includes a "range 1-3" in the description, doesn't it?).

I have the card in front of me, you are correct. The enemy must be within 1-3, but the attacker does not need to be within ethan's arc or range 1-3 of ethan, just the enemy.

Edited by Corellian Corvette

Pardon me, I meant "does not."

I think the question that came up was whether or not his arc would extend to infinity without that clause.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

That the guide nubs count for overlapping other ships and asteroids/proxmines etc, but NOT for measuring range between ships

This one comes up on Vassal alot

EvilEd209 likes this

That the guide nubs count for overlapping other ships and asteroids/proxmines etc, but NOT for measuring range between ships

Never played on vassal myself, but I was told that the convention there was to ignore the nubs entirely because the the graphics used required that the nubs be made much larger than on the physical models.

The difference between "at" range & "within" range i.e. if any part of a ship's base is in a particular range it counts as being at that range, though it always counts as being at the closest range increment, whereas if an effect calls for the target to be "within" a set range band the whole base must fall inside that increment.

Printed firing arcs - any effect referencing a firing arc works for all printed arcs on a ship's base (Firespray).

The difference between a firing arc & the 360* range of a turret primary.

The difference between "overlapping" and touching bases.

There are more, but those are the ones that spring to mind. The rules forum is a wealth of information, it's definitely worth browsing through for general queries, and a quick search can usually turn up the answer to most specific questions. Also, judging from the number of times I've been ninja'd on there, if you can't find what you're looking for someone will respond to new questions pretty dang quickly.

Never played on vassal myself, but I was told that the convention there was to ignore the nubs entirely because the the graphics used required that the nubs be made much larger than on the physical models.

They were resized and they play with nubs now for the most part I believe.

I've rarely seen nubs be a issue except when ships bump face to face.

When moving in formation, if you bump the ship in front of you so that you are perfectly square you are not considered overlapping on future turns if they move the same even though they are touching.

Crabbok likes this

When moving in formation, if you bump the ship in front of you so that you are perfectly square you are not considered overlapping on future turns if they move the same even though they are touching.

That's good to know. Do you recall if this is stated in the rulebook or the FAQ? It occurred once during a local tournament and we had agreed with my assessment that it only counted as touching and not overlapping (I think it was my two X-wings both k-turning).

I've spent the last two months wondering if I was being 'That Guy' despite everyone being reasonable about it and I likely would have won anyway.

2 of my favorites:

Heavy Laser Cannon only modifies it's crits to become hits immediately after your attack roll - NOT after re-rolling dice.  So with a target lock you get to keep whatever crits you reroll.  

Bombs/mines are not considered secondary weapons - so if you get a crit that tells you to discard a secondary weapon, and all you have is a bomb - you get to keep the bomb. 

gentgeen and haslo like this

That's good to know. Do you recall if this is stated in the rulebook or the FAQ? It occurred once during a local tournament and we had agreed with my assessment that it only counted as touching and not overlapping (I think it was my two X-wings both k-turning).

I've spent the last two months wondering if I was being 'That Guy' despite everyone being reasonable about it and I likely would have won anyway.

Pretty sure it's in the FAQ? Watch any video of worlds or nationals that uses swarms and you will see it used with no judge complaint. I learned about it watching GenCon videos from last year.

Pretty sure it's in the FAQ? Watch any video of worlds or nationals that uses swarms and you will see it used with no judge complaint. I learned about it watching GenCon videos from last year.

It's page 4 of the FAQ, and only applies to straight maneuvers.

Forensicus likes this

It's page 4 of the FAQ, and only applies to straight maneuvers.

Sorry, forgot to clarify that part.

Take an evening (maybe an hour) and just READ the rule book. The core rules are 11 pages from a relatively small book. Then you have a few new pages of Big ship rules that tell you how to play your YT's et al. A few more added rules on specific cards ("Ion Token" for example). And now the really big ship rules. All in all if you compiled everything in 1 volume your looking at maybe 25 pages (depending on the amount of artwork your throwing in).

Having come over from the Dark Side (Warhammer 40K) where your core rules are several hundred pages in an oversized book THEN each army gets 50-100 pages of specific rules....

Add in the bonus that the X-Wing rules are well written with no contradictions or fuzziness that abounds in the GW world.

Hobojebus, haslo and Parravon like this

I wouldn't use that as proof of anything.  Case in point the AGot Melee final table at Worlds.  A player made a blatantly illegal play.  Many people watching the stream caught it and so did the judge apparently.  But the judge did not intervene as none of the other players caught it.  A ton of people were ticked.  The explanation: It wasn't the judge's responsibility. So I wouldn't use that as proof.  Just my 10 credits... 

One that I had to learn the hard way was that range is measured to the closest point of the target's base within the attacker's firing arc, which may not be the absolute closest distance.

that a barrell roll is anything flush on your base on both sides so you can finagle forwards or backwards as needed off of it.

Kept a Phantom on the table because of this, a sharp 1 turn and it would have been off the table that's how close it was to the edge. Opponent thought it was going to fly off the board so planed his ship's moves toward my other ships, leaving the Phantom to fly off the table. Decloak barrel rolled, placing the template to the back of the ship then placed the ship to the back of the template then did a sharp 1 turn to keep it on the table.

You cannot re-roll a dice that has already been re-rolled. That one was new to me recently.
Also, what's this about not being able to attack if you land on an asteroid? I definitely missed that one.