Sign in to follow this  
Venters

Electrostaff

I was wondering since there isn't one in the EotE book or AoR book, what would you guys think would be the stats on one?

I'd have no idea how to stat one out but I want to approach my GM about possibly getting one so it would be a good idea to at least be able to tell him what it can do.

Isn't the force pike pretty close?

I thought so too, but the Electrostaff should allow you do for lack of a better term Two-Weapon combat and get two attacks in right?

I'm not familiar with how that would work.

are you suggesting just adding that to its base stats and pay a premium for the weapon or some sort of attachment?

Quick and easy way is just use a force pike and flavor it as an electrostaff. Otherwise, I would add linked 1 (which is how I would handle double weapons, or else a reduce the penalty for two weapon fighting somehow), and then add the cortosis quality (I'm thinking of the right thing, right? They're immune to lightsabers?). As for how much that would cost and hardpoints etc... up to your gm, but I could see it adding a few thousand to the cost, and much higher rarity, especially if you leave the hard points the same.

Electrostaff

• Skill: Melee
  • Damage: +3 (Same damage as a force pike; like the force pike, it's not because of hitting hard, but because of its deadly jolt.)
  • Critical: 3 (One higher than vibro-weapons.  Other than vibro-weapons, only gonzo weapons (Ryyk blade and beamdrill) have a lower Critical.)
  • Range: Engaged.  (This doesn't need explanation.)
  • Encumbrance: 4  (The electrostaff isn't particularly heavy, but it's definitely longer and more unwieldy than the force pike, which has Encumbrance of 3.)
  • Hard Points: 3  (Large weapons like the vibrosword, vibroaxe, and force pike all have 3HP.)
  • Price: 750  (Some of its Qualities make it more expensive than the force pike.)
  • Rarity: 6  (The electrostaff is a less common weapon than the vibrosword, which has a Rarity of 5.)
  • Qualities: Vicious 2, Defensive 1, Cortosis, Stun Setting

I wasn't sure how to make it able to pierce and/or disable ray shields.  I'm also not sure Linked should ever apply to a melee weapon, since it basically circumvents the Dual Wielding rules.

Edited by Simon Fix

Simon your build of an electrostaff looks pretty good to me though I might offer one suggestion. I personally would drop the hard points by one due to the number of qualities the weapon has.  Also, I agree, linked shouldn't apply to melee weapons. Great work! 

I was wondering since there isn't one in the EotE book or AoR book, what would you guys think would be the stats on one?

Personally, I would just take the stats of the Force Pike and use those. It would just be the manner in which the weapon is used that would change. You could make it more expensive, if you wanted.

Simon your build of an electrostaff looks pretty good to me though I might offer one suggestion. I personally would drop the hard points by one due to the number of qualities the weapon has.  Also, I agree, linked shouldn't apply to melee weapons. Great work! 

Part of me agrees, Dramar, but looking at the qualities given to the vibro-ax, I balanced it out like this:

• The electrostaff's Vicious 2 counts for two points of Vicious on the vibro-ax.
  • The electrostaff's Cortosis counterbalances the vibro-ax's Sunder.
  • The electrostaff's Defensive 1 and Stun Setting are roughly equal to the two ranks of Pierce and the last rank of Vicious on the vibro-ax.

All those things balanced out, the advantage of the vibro-ax is its lower critical rating, while the advantage of the electrostaff is its ability to be used for two-weapon fighting.  I figured that balanced out the issue with them having the same number of hard points.  Honestly, though, I'm not adverse to dropping the number of hard points to 2.

Part of me agrees, Dramar, but looking at the qualities given to the vibro-ax, I balanced it out like this:

• The electrostaff's Vicious 2 counts for two points of Vicious on the vibro-ax.
  • The electrostaff's Cortosis counterbalances the vibro-ax's Sunder.
  • The electrostaff's Defensive 1 and Stun Setting are roughly equal to the two ranks of Pierce and the last rank of Vicious on the vibro-ax.

All those things balanced out, the advantage of the vibro-ax is its lower critical rating, while the advantage of the electrostaff is its ability to be used for two-weapon fighting.  I figured that balanced out the issue with them having the same number of hard points.  Honestly, though, I'm not adverse to dropping the number of hard points to 2.

After thinking about this for a bit, I think I've come to a different conclusion.  Because allowing a single two-handed weapon to be used with the Two-Weapon Fighting rules already provides a significant advantage over its one-handed cousins (it gives a base +2 damage over the best one-handed weapons used with Two-Weapon Fighting), I'd say drop the hard points to 1, not just down to 2.

After thinking about this for a bit, I think I've come to a different conclusion.  Because allowing a single two-handed weapon to be used with the Two-Weapon Fighting rules already provides a significant advantage over its one-handed cousins (it gives a base +2 damage over the best one-handed weapons used with Two-Weapon Fighting), I'd say drop the hard points to 1, not just down to 2.

The best one-handed weapons for Two Weapon Combat would be the vibro-sword, at +2 damage. So, your Electrostaff would be only +1 over that, and you’d still be suffering the Increased Difficulty of TWC versus one-handed melee combat. If you’re going to increase the crit rating to 3 to account for the fact that this is an Electrostaff and not a Force Pike and doesn’t use a vibro mechanism, then it doesn’t make sense to also penalize them on Hard Points. Or, if you are going to penalize them on HP, I wouldn’t take them all the way down to just one, but give them two instead.

The best one-handed weapons for Two Weapon Combat would be the vibro-sword, at +2 damage. So, your Electrostaff would be only +1 over that, and you’d still be suffering the Increased Difficulty of TWC versus one-handed melee combat. If you’re going to increase the crit rating to 3 to account for the fact that this is an Electrostaff and not a Force Pike and doesn’t use a vibro mechanism, then it doesn’t make sense to also penalize them on Hard Points. Or, if you are going to penalize them on HP, I wouldn’t take them all the way down to just one, but give them two instead.

+2 when you're comparing them both in Two-Weapon Fighting - one for each strike.

Given that the weapon is a bludgeoning weapon without a vibro-field generator, I didn't believe its critical rating should be as high.  And given that its stats are otherwise equivalent to the vibro-ax (which I detailed a few posts back), I really believe the advantage of the electrostaff (the ability to deal double damage) was significantly better than that of the vibro-ax (a 33% greater chance at a critical), so I lowered the hard points accordingly.

I've considered, however, knocking Vicious off the weapon completely, giving it Pierce 2 instead, in which case I would give it two hard points again.  I'd mostly do this because it doesn't seem like a particularly "vicious" weapon, so much as it feels like a weapon that would deal damage through armored clothing (via jolts of energy).  It would then look like this:  

Electrostaff

• Skill: Melee
  • Damage: +3 
  • Critical: 3
  • Range: Engaged. 
  • Encumbrance: 4
  • Hard Points: 2
  • Price: 750
  • Rarity: 6
  • Qualities: Pierce 2, Defensive 1, Cortosis, Stun Setting
While I'm sure this will still have some wanting three hard points, I'd be hesitant to essentially make a weapon that could take advantage of every melee weapon attachment available to it (superior, balanced hilt, and weighted head).

It may not be much help at this point but, I found stats for an elctrostaff a while back that someone made.

Skill-Melee

Damage- +3

Critical-2

Range-Engaged

Encumbrance-3

Hard Points-3

Price-1500/3000 if phrik

Rarity-5/6 or 7 if made of phrik(cortosis pretty much)

Qualities-Disorient 3, Defensive 1, Stun Setting and cortosis if the phrik varient

If I recall correctly the person that created these stats used the force pike as a base.