Sign in to follow this  
CadeFrost

Force Power Tree Question

Had a player ask a question about the force power trees in each of the books which I did not have a hard answer to.  Do the force sensitive exile, and force sensitive emergent share all six of the force power trees, or are you only allowed to use the three power trees present in the book you use (EotE or AoR).  I am inclined to say you must stick to the three trees given in the book you are using.

The books and rules are completely and seamlessly interchangeable. It's totally up to the GM. If the GM only wants you using AoR powers and not EotE, then great. If the GM is only comfortable with having the Move power and nothing else, great. 

Same as weapons and talent trees and species. It's all up to the GM and playgroup in question. 

EDIT: If you're inclined to go a certain way, then go with your gut! Tell your players that this is how you'll be running it for now, but leave yourself some leeway to expand in the future. Whatever makes it easy to run for you and fun for the whole playgroup is the correct answer.

Edited by awayputurwpn

No, but the tree is tied to a Specialty.

I think there is some error here somewhere. CadeFrost is asking about powers, not talent trees. The Exile in EotE is indeed a different specialization from the Emergent in AoR, but the Force powers that are found in both books are not tied to any specialization: they simply require Force Rating 1+.

Id make the Force Exile spend points to become a Force Emergent, to get acees to those powers.

Just like an Explorer wanting Bounty Hunter Skill Tree access...

They already have to, Emergent is a separate universal specialization and would require xp to be spent in order to progress through it.

No, but the tree is tied to a Specialty.

No they aren't.  The Force powers section makes no requirement of this at all in either book.

Edited by 2P51

In the end the correct answer is that whatever the GM and player work out together will be great.  If we are following the rules directly the only requirement to obtain any force ability (move, sense, foresee, enhance, or influence) is that you have a force rating.  This can be acquired by purchasing either talent tree or through the story of your game. 

I agree about it being the province of the GM and the player resolving that, but has anyone thought about restricting access to those powers requiring the character encountering someone or locating an artefact that can teach them a specific force power?

Edited by copperbell

I agree about it being the province of the GM and the player resolving that, but has anyone thought about restricting access to those powers requiring the character encountering someone or locating an artefact that can teach them a specific force power?

Absolutely.  There is no way I would do it any other way than to make it a big role play experience, it cheapens it not to imo.

Awayputurwpn has identified my specific conundrum.

As far as the rules go, there is no conundrum.  The rules are clear that you only need a Force rating of 1 to learn a power, and you can get that Force rating by buying either spec tree.  To answer your original question:  "are you only allowed to use the three power trees present in the book you use", the answer is clearly no, as far as the rules are concerned.

So the only point of contention is what you want to do as a GM, and you're free to create whatever restrictions you want.

You could apply the same question to the other features of the game:  do you force a Bounty Hunter to only stick with the specs in EotE, or do you allow them to pick something from the Spy career?  There is nothing in the rules to prevent the latter, so it's up to you as GM if you want to prevent it.

This. Also, some GMs might limit their players to equipment and ships found only in a certain Core book or supplement. But others might utilize a broader scope of options. 

When it comes down to it, it's easy (IMO) to discern a progression of sorts between the books when it comes to Force usage (even though the books' settings are essentially contemporaneous). For example, you can start out as an Explorer: Scout, and pick up Force Sensitive Exile as your second specialization. Perhaps you also learn how the Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded. Or you find you can somehow better sense your surroundings. Later on, after developing your latent Force sensitivity (and perhaps either teaching yourself or finding someone or something that can give you further guidance), you are given the opportunity to develop the Emergent specialization and/or a couple new Force powers. Maybe you can suddenly call upon some mysterious power that boosts your muscle strength for an instant, giving you momentary super-human abilities. 

All in all, it's just more options to tell your player characters' stories. So if you're okay with it, there's no reason to disallow it. But don't feel obligated to do so. It's your game, your rules. Same as if you wanted to disallow the Doctor specialization for some reason, or the Knowledge: Lore skill. Or if you wanted to open up the optional Lightsaber skill for player purchase. It's your thang. 

Do whatcha wanna do. 

All current Force powers list the same pre-req: Force Rating 1+.

That's all you need to take them. Both Force Sensitive Exile and Force Sensitive Emergent grant a Force Rating of 1, so they both qualify for all current Force Powers.

-EF

Meh. Not really. When you get into that territory, it's kind of the whole "Well, your gunner character hasn't really been talking trying to charm NPCs a lot - so no, I'm not allowing you to start putting experience into those skill points/Politico".

One of the things about Force powers is they manifest when they manifest - players need them when they need them. You set up this barrier and you get into these issues where a player, who craves to get something out reach, can't - just because somebody didn't tell them earlier that you can move stuff if you think hard enough, even though the player might have wanted to unlock Move 5 sessions ago. And really - does that sound like Star Wars?

Besides, if the first force users had to find out the hard way of the extents the force can be used - why can't players?

I'd say if anything - if you had to do something, formal teaching and information on holocrons should just give a reasonable XP bonus that can only be applied towards a specific force power/ anything in the force trees/powers (depending on what specifically is being learned). This way, in my opinion, it's closer to what we see in Star Wars. Luke unlocked Move by himself, but with a nice XP bonus from Yoda, got some basic powers and upgrades in Enhance and Forsee - things he could get eventually on his own, but gained much faster due to dedicated time with a powerful Jedi.

I'm putting hooks in my campaign where the heroes are referred to as having untapped Force potential but their destiny has not yet led them to reaching their potential. Essentially, as others have said, you can take on either of the Force specializations at any time the PC wants. So the players can all have potential; if they choose to unlock it is up to them.

One of the things about Force powers is they manifest when they manifest - players need them when they need them. You set up this barrier and you get into these issues where a player, who craves to get something out reach, can't - just because somebody didn't tell them earlier that you can move stuff if you think hard enough, even though the player might have wanted to unlock Move 5 sessions ago. And really - does that sound like Star Wars?

Yes actually it does sound like Star Wars.  In the time frame from Episode 4 to 5 Luke could barely pull a Lightsaber out of a pile of snow.  After he sees Yoda he starts lifting an X-wing out of a swamp, so in my mind it sounds exactly like Star Wars.  He wasn't able to advance his Force skills for squat until he got trained.  It makes for a good session hooks as well imo.