Sign in to follow this  
Admiral JCJF

Black Squadron Pilot + Predator x2

One of the things I've been thinking about now that I've got my hands on some Wave 4 is the potential for a pair of Black Squadron Pilots (TIE Fighter PS4 with Elite Pilot Talent) with Predator.

Now I know people have been thinking about entire lists based around this match (notwithstanding the issues of getting enough copies of Predator when it only comes with the TIE Defender) but I'm thinking more about just a pair.

Why a pair?

One on it's own just seems too vulnerable due to a lack of firepower, but a pair should be able to go toe to toe with most anything.

Coming in at 34 points it seems like it might be a solid option to support some of the Defender/Interceptor/Phantom lists which people are throwing around.

I like the idea. I usually only run one of these as filler, but that's because my points have gone elsewhere. Mostly trying lots of Defender builds. They are one of my new favorite ships to fly. But yeah, been getting a lot of mileage out of BSP + Predator. How many ships would you see putting in a list with these two? Four ships total?

I like the idea. I usually only run one of these as filler, but that's because my points have gone elsewhere. Mostly trying lots of Defender builds. They are one of my new favorite ships to fly. But yeah, been getting a lot of mileage out of BSP + Predator. How many ships would you see putting in a list with these two? Four ships total?

Typically.

It feels like a good way to take a three-ship Imperial build up to a four-ship build while retaining the individual effectiveness of the ships.

Though you ARE going to want to keep these two together.

While many of us will dispute the value of BPS+Predator swarms using one or two normally isn't a bad choice.  For the points you'd usually be looking at another named TIE Fighter or perhaps an Alpha Interceptor for a point more.

This is a list I want to try out.

99pts

Echo - VI+ACD+FCS+Gunner (Expensive! I know.)

3x BSP - Predator+Targeting Computer

Giving them TC is a waste though. They would just blow an action getting a reroll that they'll already get. One of the reason Predator works so well on them is because it gives you attack die mitigation so you can leave your actions for tighter defense or maneuvering.

I'm going to try out this list on the weekend.

100pts

2x Bounty Hunter

2x Black Squadron TIE w/ predator

I'll let you know how it does.

Would definitely like to see that against Great Wall/Wall of Death/Space Cows. (4x Omicron Shuttles, various upgrades but usually Fire Control Systems and/or Engine Upgrades).

99pts

Giving them TC is a waste though. They would just blow an action getting a reroll that they'll already get. One of the reason Predator works so well on them is because it gives you attack die mitigation so you can leave your actions for tighter defense or maneuvering.

Didn't think about it like that.  All I was thinking about was the look on my opponents face when he sees a TIE that can target lock.  I'll look into this.  Thanks.

99pts

Predator = Reroll one attack die; if PS 2 or lower Reroll two.

Targeting Computer = Gain TL action:  Spend action to gain TL; spend TL to reroll any number of attack dice.  Has other uses but not here.

I know you already heard this and addressed but all this setup does is burn points.

Yeah, I think that the "Predator Swarm" idea distracted people from the real value of the Black Squadron + Predator combination.

The example of combining a pair of "Black Predators" (as I'm dubbing them, unless they have another title already in which case I'll defer) with two Bounty Hunters, rather than the usual triplet of Bounty Hunters, is exactly the kind of positive change which I think this option will allow.

It's as a supplement to other lists that this option really comes into its own.