Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gibarian

Will Gunner be worth it on B-Wings after the B-Wing/E mod?

138 posts in this topic

I started wondering this after fooling around with a new themed list. Seems fun, but I don't know if the combo would ever be worth the six points you could spend on different upgrades, and Gunner doesn't have the same synergy it does with Han. But then again, people seem to like it on Chewie/Lando too, and at that point it's doing much the same thing as it would be on a B-Wing... although probably for a shorter amount of turns.

Blue Corn

Corran Horn 35

PTL 3

R2-D2 4

Fire-Control System

Blue Squadron Pilot 22

B-Wing/E 1

Gunner 5

Blue Squadron Pilot 22

B-Wing/E 1

Gunner 5

Probably not.  Because the B-Wing tends to fight in close, it is usually within range 1-2 of it's target which reduces the likelihood that gunner will trigger.  And for one point more you can throw a Heavy Laser Cannon on them.

Intelligence Agent or Tactician however will be excellent, cheap upgrades to the ship coming in at two and three points respectively including the modification.

Marinealver and Scizzler like this

And for one point more you can throw a Heavy Laser Cannon on them.

I think this is the biggest issue. A HLC is usually better than gunner and primary weapon, so if you're willing to take an expensive b-wing you might as well just spend the single extra point to get a much better ship.

Seems like it may be fun....

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22

Heavy Laser Cannon 7

Mercenary Copilot 2

B-Wing/E2 1

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22

Heavy Laser Cannon 7

Mercenary Copilot 2

B-Wing/E2 1

Etahn A'baht — E-Wing 32

Advanced Sensors 3

R2 Astromech 1

Sekac likes this

It's a mod that is going to be released in the Rebel Aces expansion that allows B-Wings to take crew.

Canon-ly, I believe it is the modified variant of the B-Wing that Admiral Ackbar used for transport.

No, Ackbar's B-Wing is a FURTHER variant of the /E2. His had a widened cockpit so the passenger sat side-by-side. The regular /E2 had a dedicated gunner behind the pilot. It was to lighten the workload on the pilot and improve performance of the B-wing as a dedicated heavy assault fighter. I would really like to see Ackbar as a crew (or possibly even B-wing pilot) someday.

I'm personally having trouble figuring out how to fit in anything I like. It adds up quickly.

Corellian Corvette likes this

It would take too many upgrade points, but Heavy Laser + Gunner would be pretty badass. Gunner alone might work very well too. Might.

Has it been confirmed that the /E is one point??

Pretty lame if that is the case.

Should be free like the slave 1 title, as it doesn't add anything like the falcon title does.

Has it been confirmed that the /E is one point??

Pretty lame if that is the case.

Should be free like the slave 1 title, as it doesn't add anything like the falcon title does.

It does add something: the ability to take a crew. If it does cost 1 point (don't remember if that was a legit spoiler or a rumor), then it's almost an exact match for R2-D6: 1 point to add a (really good) upgrade slot.

And given how effective B-wings are already, I like that the title/mod/whatever isn't free.

It would take too many upgrade points, but Heavy Laser + Gunner would be pretty badass. Gunner alone might work very well too. Might.

With 4 attack dice, I do hope you won't miss often enough to justify paying 6 more points for a gunner.

Hobojebus and Vorpal Sword like this

If the title isn't free I really don't see much reason to put crew on B-wings at all.  B-wings can already take plenty of good upgrades as it is, and I don't see many crew options that really make it worth pouring more points into an already expensive ship.

The B-wing half of rebel aces is quite puzzling to me in general

stegocent likes this

Yeah it is one point HOWEVER it is also a modification which means no Engine Upgrade - which happens to be particularly useful to a B-Wing in some builds.   

Here are some crew that I think will be particularly nice in a B-Wing:

Lando - An evade on a B-Wing would be awesome - and Evade and a Focus, or 2 Evades?   So nice!   

Mercenary CoPilot - If you are using HLC this is certainly an option - ESPECIALLY with Ten Numb.  

Han Solo - Cheap and gives you choices - pairs nicely with FCS

C-3PO - add some survivability to your ship.  

Chewbacca - same as above. 

Nien Numb - cheap and will help with moves or ions.  

LeoHowler and stegocent like this

The B-wing didn't need that mod. The Y-wing did,

R2-D2 and Nien Nunb? Ion Cannon Turret and Tactician? No thanks. This is a game, and lots of things that sound fun would be detrimental to the balance that makes X-wing great.

Edit: Magadizer reminded me that Tactician is in-arc only, which is sufficiently challenging to be a non-issue.

Edited by Sideslip

Buzzsaw B-wings please.

Dagger - FCS, /E, Gunner

Seems good in a pair. No engine upgrade, but the dial is better than the Lambda and it likely wants to close in slowly.

Yeah it is one point HOWEVER it is also a modification which means no Engine Upgrade - which happens to be particularly useful to a B-Wing in some builds.   

Here are some crew that I think will be particularly nice in a B-Wing:

Lando - An evade on a B-Wing would be awesome - and Evade and a Focus, or 2 Evades?   So nice!   

Mercenary CoPilot - If you are using HLC this is certainly an option - ESPECIALLY with Ten Numb.  

Han Solo - Cheap and gives you choices - pairs nicely with FCS

C-3PO - add some survivability to your ship.  

Chewbacca - same as above. 

Nien Numb - cheap and will help with moves or ions.  

Both of the Rebel Aces crew cards, Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn, could be very good on B-wings. I guess this is why they are shipping with a B-wing repaint.

Crabbok likes this

Buzzsaw B-wings please.

Dagger - FCS, /E, Gunner

Seems good in a pair. No engine upgrade, but the dial is better than the Lambda and it likely wants to close in slowly.

This is also one point more expensive than a heavy laser cannon. Do you really think it's better?

R2-D2 and Nien Nunb? Ion Cannon Turret and Tactician? No thanks. This is a game, and lots of things that sound fun would be detrimental to the balance that makes X-wing great.

I don't think ICT and Tactician on a Y-wing is as easy to pull off, since Tactician is restricted to your firing arc. But you will be able to run Blue + Ion Cannon + Tactician....

Blue, B2, intelligence agent, advanced sensors.

This will be the new Dagger with advanced sensors. It takes even more advantage of movement, and action choices!

Edited by PS10
Souladin likes this

This will be the new Dagger with advanced sensors. It takes even more advantage of movement, and action choices!

This is pretty much the only B-Wing/E variation that I'm going to use if any. Other crew members are too costly to put in that frontline fighter. Though Ten Numb with Nien Nunb is funny..

Not sure either of those would really hurt balance all that much.  For one, Bounty Hunters can already equip Ion Canons and Tacticians.  And a Y-Wing being able to gain a shield back by going a space or two farther isn't exactly game breaking.  Nobody gives Y-Wings R2-D2 anyway.  

With 4 attack dice, I do hope you won't miss often enough to justify paying 6 more points for a gunner.

Well you could argue that they're using their upgrades for attack mitigation and leaving focuses for defense all the time to try to extend the life of their b-wing. (but personally i'd be wary of a loadout like that as well)

This is pretty much the only B-Wing/E variation that I'm going to use if any. Other crew members are too costly to put in that frontline fighter. Though Ten Numb with Nien Nunb is funny..

that would help you deal with the trouble of being Ioned.

I don't think ICT and Tactician on a Y-wing is as easy to pull off, since Tactician is restricted to your firing arc. But you will be able to run Blue + Ion Cannon + Tactician....

I forgot about the "within your firing arc" restriction on Tactician. A Range 2 ion attack with a Tactician in your arc is very punishing, but a competent opponent can avoid it reasonably well.