Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LibrariaNPC

Your Party's Favorite Ships

28 posts in this topic

I'm not certain about the rest of you, but it seems that every time I run a Star Wars game, the party will invariably choose a CEC ship, whether it is the YT-1300 (with the goals of getting a YT-2400) or another ship along those lines.

My previous gaming group had a YV-100 with the goal of moving up to something better or faster (the YT-2400 was on the list, and the HWK line, like the Moldy Crow, was also high up there as well).

In my d20 days, the groups had a saying: "If it's not Corellian, we're not buying it." (One guy broke that rule by getting a Firespray, but he's a Boba Fett fan).

Now my current group is just starting to get together, and before we even make characters, the fans are going Corellian, all the way. (YT, YV, VCX, HWK, and the YU were at the top of the list of requests).

So tell me, what sort of ship does your party go for? Are they tied to a particular style, a specific company, or just whatever looks new and shiny? Is there a particular ship that stands out that you're party used during a campaign?

I think I saw an assault shuttle in Dangerous Covenants my (Gadgetteer) Bounty Hunter'd love.

The E9 Explorer ship from Enter the Unknown is another favourite (both in terms of stats and design).

Edited by Col. Orange
HappyDaze likes this

So far I have really dug the E9.

The game where I get to play in, we are in a 2400. I really like it, but I've got my eye on a 929, based on visual appearances alone. I don't even mind if all the guns are stripped off.

Any that aren't on fire or crashing while I am in them.......

For us, that'd be a big ask.  (Fecking Pash...)

Edited by Col. Orange

My favorites based on the art and style, not necessarily stats, as we don't have them all, are probably the CR-90 and Fire Sprays.  I'm also big fan of the HWK-290 artwork in the back of the EoE CRB and look forward to those stats.  Of course who doesn't like a big ol SD though?

14421_star_wars_star_destroyer_spaceship

Edited by 2P51

I'm a big fan of the Incom A-24 Sleuth-class scout ship, but by and large my players go for Corellian. They actually passed up on a better ship because it wasn't CEC and stuck with their starter YT-1300.

Our pilot wants a Citadel class, which suits me, we are thinking a group of 2 or maybe even 3 ships for our group, for both extra space, for everyone to be more involved in ship combat, and to have the 'two places at once' option available to us.

LeSquide likes this

My group really liked the Wayfarer until they figured out how unsuitable it was for space combat. When I gave them the option of trading out, they decided to stick with the Beast of Burden but take on more obligation for a retrofitted hanger bay.

Midnight_X2 and LibrariaNPC like this

My parties favourite.

The Azure Storm.

A consular class cruiser, formerly belonging to the rebels, taken by the party. (rebels went to imp. int.)

Its been heavily converted since, hanger bays added, extra shields and upgraded engines.

Its become a much loved mobile base, that eats money.

The party's is the 720 followed by the Citadel class Cruiser. I've lost track of the number of those we've used across systems. Capital shipwise we are much more divided, Some (like me) prefer the frigates or small cruisers, others prefer the larger cruisers or Star Destroyers and a couple prefer corvettes/gunships. And even among members who like the same type of capships there will only be at most one or two who consider a particular class their favorite. Starfighters almost every person has their own favorite though three share the X-Wing and two the Y-Wing the most.

Edited by RogueCorona
LeSquide likes this

My party basiclly took what was offered and didn't seem to have preferenace other than "is it fast and have lotsa big guns?"  A variant of Shen's Yacht from Jewel of Yavin was wildly popular with my crew for about two sessions. Then it blew up. They didn't mind the YT-1000 they were flying the majority of the time except when they tried to do anything dumb, dangerous, or different with it. Its kinda squishy and was rather unforgiving when the dice don't roll the player's way.

My group is still in the YT-1300 they started with way back in the beta adventure. They've changed the name a few times, but they're now on the look out for something better, less cargo focused; they don't really do big cargo runs.

They have been looking at stuff, but they're not certain. They might end up with another CEC - very likely - but I'm hoping for something else.

For some reason GMs seem to be against running cargo, in your freighter.

Not sure why.

Cargo runs work fine as background tasks. When speculative trading moves to the forefront of the game, I get bored. If I'm the only one that gets bored by it it's still a problem when I'm the GM. As a player, I can just tune out for a bit, but too much of this is going to really drag a game down for me. This is why I get nervous when I see a player wanting to play a Trader. I try to make sure that they don't have plans that will monopolize the group's activities. I signed up for Star Wars (whether hot or cold wars, and whether military or underworld forces matters little to me) not Star Markets.

My group was very eager to get their hands on a YT-2000 (Otana from X-wing Alliance).  Of course, most of us are fans of the old flight sim, so I was happy to oblige.

My group is flying a downright ancient YG-4210, and are focusing on maximizing its already impressive defenses.  Ion Cannons instead of Lasers, a backup shield generator, onboard medical bay, etc.  They're not too worried about dealing out damage as long as they can survive long enough to jump away or call for help.

Not sure why.

Cargo runs work fine as background tasks. When speculative trading moves to the forefront of the game, I get bored. If I'm the only one that gets bored by it it's still a problem when I'm the GM. As a player, I can just tune out for a bit, but too much of this is going to really drag a game down for me. This is why I get nervous when I see a player wanting to play a Trader. I try to make sure that they don't have plans that will monopolize the group's activities. I signed up for Star Wars (whether hot or cold wars, and whether military or underworld forces matters little to me) not Star Markets.

I'm right there with you. I like it being a side thing (getting cargo that lines up where the next job is going), or cargo is part of the story, but when that's all they do, it does make for a boring game.

What does make me laugh is how the party will always say "We want cargo space!" but the most they'll haul is maybe less than 30 ENC.

What does make me laugh is how the party will always say "We want cargo space!" but the most they'll haul is maybe less than 30 ENC.

Kinda my point.

If your not  going to use the cargo space, why have a freighter?

And if your not going let them use the cargo space, why give them a freighter? 

Not sure why.

I'm right there with you. I like it being a side thing (getting cargo that lines up where the next job is going), or cargo is part of the story, but when that's all they do, it does make for a boring game.

Agreed, but my group used that cargo space judiciously and were always on the look out for a bigger ship, but cargo was never the #1 priority. Basiclly, when they knocked over some Imperial Outpost or Depots when the Alliance 'asked' them to, they took what ever they could cram into the hold of the YT-1000 with some vague hope of making a profit at some point. If the hold wasn't full, or holding something really valuable, they were wasting fuel. I think their crowning achievement was disassembling an impounded Y-Wing Longprobe on site and managing to wedge it into the hold. It took a destiny point and two setback die on manuever checks to do it, but they did it. Anyhow, we worked together so that they were usually shipping/smuggling something to where they were going and it would occassionally effect how the session went. More often than not it was just something for them to remember to do on the side to pay for the docking and fuel fees or for me to introduce a snag in the plan or a MacGuffin to the plot.

I think the biggest thing my guys ran into is trying to transport more than a handful of people at a time. When they busted open a slave labor camp trying to figure out how to move 30+ beings became quiete the quandry for a bit. They manage to modify a ship to do it, but the old Quartermaster-class frieghter definitly became an object of loathing for my players. :lol:

cvtheoman, LibrariaNPC and Icosiel like this

I actually fell into this trap already. In my last game, my players wanted to haul cargo and earn credits legitimately; I obliged, figuring I could keep it interesting.

I was wrong. It quickly became boring and formulaic, and even though I tried to distract them with other, vastly more interesting plots, their inevitable answer was, "We'll think about it and run some more cargo!" My planned solution was to say that, yes, they were running cargo and I'd account for the time lost and the credits gained. However, it was bogging down the game and making it less interesting for me to run. So we'd make it a background thing, since legitimate cargoes tend to be pretty dull adventures, and I'd only run it if they willingly picked up something illegal.

(Or I'd do an in medias res open with a supposed legitimate cargo turning out to be more than they bargained for.)

However, the game imploded for unrelated reasons before I got the chance to implement that change. I've learned from it, though, and won't be doing the same again.

cvtheoman likes this

E-9 Explorer all the way. It's like Serenity, but for Star Wars. Even iterated through some designs because I hated the layouts online, since they didn't mesh with what the book said. xD

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0AUy5XDve3TTTc0eHdQem44Nkk&usp=drive_web

In the "Gaiden Story" sessions, where someone mission critical isn't there for a session but we play anyway, we use a Surronian Conqueror-Class Assault Ship (what a mouthful) called the "Ivory Goat". It's pretty sweet as well, but obviously not really a player ship that's easy to obtain.

.. So basically what orange said in the first reply. Kek.

Col. Orange likes this

My group really liked the Wayfarer until they figured out how unsuitable it was for space combat. When I gave them the option of trading out, they decided to stick with the Beast of Burden but take on more obligation for a retrofitted hanger bay.

My party is settled on the Wayfarer as well. It will allow for more interesting cargo as they take on odd jobs in the way the TV show Firefly played out. I am worried about how they'll fare in combat and I don't think they appreciate just how tough a job the pilot it going to have. We'll see how it goes.

LibrariaNPC and kaosoe like this