Rogue Dakotan

Adrmiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Imperial only, Large and huge ship only

During the Activation Phase you may choose to look at up to 3 enemy manuver dials and alter up to 3 manuver dials you control. Then discard this card.

8 points

This I believe accuratly reflects the GA. While he is devestating in his intial attack he does not do very well in the resulting chaos of battle. So an 8 point advantage to use at a critical time. Stop a blocking or interfere with a k turn. Very devestating but also very vulnerable in that he is a 1 trick pony

So after he uses his ability he is assassinated by his Noghri bodyguard?

7 pts sounds cheap for an ability that completely shutdown an opposing pilot for what can potentially be the entire match.

Keep in mind that this is in epic format, so shutting down one pilot ability and action out of 15 plus ships on the opposing side isn't that big of a deal. I really feel that in a game that will have 25 or more ships on the table at one moment, if turning one named pilot's ability off hurts that bad then there are bigger problems afoot. Additionally the named pilots are within a 3-9 point spread from their basic ship, (the only exception being the Yt-1300 which also gets a considerable stat increase going to named pilots). As such spending seven to turn off the special ability, but still allowing them to keep their pilot skill and any other upgrades/crew/modifications doesn't seem too bad comparatively.

Furthermore there is always the opportunity that there won't be any named pilots on the opposing side. Some may scoff, but there are two people that I play epic with that regularly do not field any named pilots in favor of a large quantity of mid range pilot skills to great effect. At which point all this does is negate a single action, much akin to giving a ship a stress token.

I am certain some will disagree, but keep in mind the context of when Thrawn would be used in when considering the cost.

7 pts sounds cheap for an ability that completely shutdown an opposing pilot for what can potentially be the entire match.

Keep in mind that this is in epic format, so shutting down one pilot ability and action out of 15 plus ships on the opposing side isn't that big of a deal. I really feel that in a game that will have 25 or more ships on the table at one moment, if turning one named pilot's ability off hurts that bad then there are bigger problems afoot. Additionally the named pilots are within a 3-9 point spread from their basic ship, (the only exception being the Yt-1300 which also gets a considerable stat increase going to named pilots). As such spending seven to turn off the special ability, but still allowing them to keep their pilot skill and any other upgrades/crew/modifications doesn't seem too bad comparatively.

Furthermore there is always the opportunity that there won't be any named pilots on the opposing side. Some may scoff, but there are two people that I play epic with that regularly do not field any named pilots in favor of a large quantity of mid range pilot skills to great effect. At which point all this does is negate a single action, much akin to giving a ship a stress token.

I am certain some will disagree, but keep in mind the context of when Thrawn would be used in when considering the cost.

As I understand it though this ability could be used against other huge ships, and a round without recovering shields can really hurt you

As I understand it though this ability could be used against other huge ships, and a round without recovering shields can really hurt you

Fair enough, that could actually swing things much more than a named pilot losing their ability. Especially since the Huge Ships, specifically the corvette, have a somewhat inflated cost taking shield regeneration into mind as a base ability. Negating the ability of a hundred point plus ship is far too large an impact (though still perfectly in line with what he should do). So adjustment then would be to have this ability only apply to small and large ships.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Imperial only, Large and huge ship only

During the Activation Phase you may choose to look at up to 3 enemy manuver dials and alter up to 3 manuver dials you control. Then discard this card.

8 points

This I believe accuratly reflects the GA. While he is devestating in his intial attack he does not do very well in the resulting chaos of battle. So an 8 point advantage to use at a critical time. Stop a blocking or interfere with a k turn. Very devestating but also very vulnerable in that he is a 1 trick pony

So after he uses his ability he is assassinated by his Noghri bodyguard?

Pretty much. Been reading Heir to the Empire again and Thrawn always has these grand ideas but when faced with actual thinking beings all of his plans start to fall apart. He is great in an opening but after that he is done. Besides game balance dictates he needs to be a one trick pony.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Crew, Imperial Only, Huge ship only, Unique

Choose 1 enemy ship within range 1-3. That ship set its dial face up instead of being revealed. Choose a friendly ship within range 1-3. You may change that ship's chosen maneuver to any other maneuver of the same colour after revealing it.

Captain Pellaeon

Crew, Imperial Only, Huge ship only, Unique

Once per round, you may guess the speed and bearing and an opposing ship's dial before it is revealed. If you guess correctly, any friendly ship may immediately preform a free action 

I really don't want to see him as a huge ship only.  If Palp can be on any ship, so should Thrawn.  Id give him a cost of 4-5 points (otherwise who would ever use him) something like automatic initiative, or the dial thing in an earlier post.

1 hour ago, BCvalor said:

I really don't want to see him as a huge ship only.  If Palp can be on any ship, so should Thrawn.  Id give him a cost of 4-5 points (otherwise who would ever use him) something like automatic initiative, or the dial thing in an earlier post.

This is a 2.5 year old thread...

Thrawn would be awesome, but let's face it, his text should be:

Grand Admiral Thrawn (3 Crew slots, 12 points)
At the end of the planning phase, if you do not have any stress tokens, you win the game.

Seems equal to the lore...

At the end of each turn you may assign one stress token to each enemy ship that does not have one and is within range 1 of any friendly ship. You may remove 1 stress token from each friendly ship within range 1 of an enemy ship. Double crew, 10 points.

Edited by wfain

Thrawn ability: "Make up a needlessly complicated plan, monologue about it where your enemies can listen while not executing it, and then be defeated by unforeseen consequences to your intricate plan."

On 2014-07-07 at 4:08 PM, RogueLieutenant said:

If/when we get an imperial huge ship, I'll be very surprised if there isn't a huge ship only, empire only crew card for Thrawn.  

What would be a cool Thrawn card? 

Speculate away!

I think he could be the fix to swarms we've been asking for sometime. Crew him on a bomber and rest of the squad with same ships. Not sure how he would work but something like "if you have X same ships in your squad at the beginning of a game, each ships gets Y bonus for the duration of the game".

Edited by Thormind

Well, I seem to recall the only time Thrawn's plans failed to work correctly was when one of the heroes (Luke, Leia, Han and in one case Lando) randomly turned and spoiled them. So with that in mind....

Admiral Thrawn - Imperial Only

When attacking, unless the defending ship is PS 8+ you may change all your [Focus] to [hits]

Pts 5

Slot: Team