Sign in to follow this  
Hrathen

List of cards I want but don't want to buy the ships to get them

I do buy just about everything in this game I have at least two of every ship except the HWK 290 and the Shuttle. But there are still upgrade cards I want more of and really don't want to have to buy the ship the cards come with to get the cards I want.

Preditor - currently only comes with Defenders

Advanced Sensors - currently only comes with Shuttles

Sensor Jammers - currently only comes with Shuttles

Anti-pursuit-lasers - currently only comes with Shuttles

Charadaan Refit - Not out yet, but it will only come with Rebel Aces

Royal Guard TIE Interceptor Pilots - yes this isn't really an upgrade, but I owned 5 Interceptors before Imperial Aces was announced. I want to get more Aces, but I will never need that many ships.

HLC - currently only comes with Firesprays

What cards do you want, but are not able to justify buying the ships to get?

Advanced Sensors also comes with the E-Wing, while the HLC will come with both the Shuttle and Outrider.

I'd love a second Sensor Jammer, as well as any of the cards that come with the huge ships. Especially crew Han and Threepio.

HLC comes with Shuttle

Advanced Sensor comes with E-wing

Shuttle is still only large ship released since APL, so for now it's slim pickings.

Refit and RGP are tough noogies.

Looks like you gotta buy another shuttle.

Edited by Skargoth

Yeah, this really annoys me about X-Wing. they should add more cards into the expansions but have the extras as duplicates from previous, so there each card comes with at least 2 ships from each faction, giving a choice of where you get them from It's not like the cards will cost FFG much to produce.

The worst are the cards that come with the huge ships. I could justify buying the transport for the X-Wing, pilots and upgrade cards and then selling the transport without these items on Ebay to get a big chunk of the cost back (ended up being like buying an X-Wing expansion for £15), but the Tantive I absolutely cannot justify buying just to get a few crew cards and then selling at a big loss. They should really have kept the upgrades you get with huge ships to be huge ship only, or provide an alternative method to obtain these, especially since they're really iconic and potentially powerful. It all seems a bit Games Workshop.

I'm new to X Wing, but scrolling through the card lists I see that the only place to get Engine upgrades currently is on the Falcon, which is a pain since I want to just collect Imperials (I'm a good guy) 

I like the decoy and Wingman upgrades (as well as more Munition Failsafe)  so I can justify the Z-95, but paying double that for two cards.... not quite ready to go to that level of addiction.

Yeah, this really annoys me about X-Wing. they should add more cards into the expansions but have the extras as duplicates from previous, so there each card comes with at least 2 ships from each faction, giving a choice of where you get them from It's not like the cards will cost FFG much to produce.

Or you just learn to accept you can't have everything handed to you. Things come at a price, after all.

C3P0 and Wes Janson comes to mind. But, hey- I ended up buying the transport and using a gift card to get the Tantive, so no problem. On the other hand, if this turns out to become a game of buying power, I guess it will be shortlived in my local gaming community. Luckily, the waves come in such intervals that we have time to plan our purchases and put some money aside. As long as I don't need more than one copy of each card, I can buy one of each new model and two or three of those I intend to field.

I have four a-wings at the moment in dire need of some (yet to be released) refits. On the one hand, I think it's a nice gesture by FFG to include to copies of it in Rebel Aces, but on the other hand I still have to buy two sets just to get these cards. Perhaps this fall the time is ripe to get some B-wings flying on my part.

Edited by riksawesome

The worst are the cards that come with the huge ships. I could justify buying the transport for the X-Wing, pilots and upgrade cards and then selling the transport without these items on Ebay to get a big chunk of the cost back (ended up being like buying an X-Wing expansion for £15), but the Tantive I absolutely cannot justify buying just to get a few crew cards and then selling at a big loss. They should really have kept the upgrades you get with huge ships to be huge ship only, or provide an alternative method to obtain these, especially since they're really iconic and potentially powerful. It all seems a bit Games Workshop.

it's their way of adding a secondary motivation to buy more expansions, it's a valid business strategy -  at least you are sure about what you get.

so far I can see 3 ways of dealing with it:

a) trying to trade with other players for the stuff you need - difficult since most of the time people look for the same cards and have the same doubles, but there still can be found trading parters (somewhere was a thread on it)

b) buying enough expansions to satisfy your need for specific cards - costly oversupply on ships, in particular if you aren't a modder/painter

c) buying enough ships to satisfy your ship needs and make the cards you have work for you - sure no extravagant overuse of specific cards, but making the stuff you have work has its own rewards

I personally choose c) as a strategy, it's way  more cost effective than b) and is more fun than a), but everyone as he prefers.

Edited by Asgo

(1) I think the errors in the OP speak volumes: I like a lot of your posts, but this one looks a lot like you'd rather complain than actually figure out how you can get the upgrades you want.

(2) Speaking of that, for those who don't plan on playing competitively, it's really easy to get around this issue by proxying what you don't have. If you do plan on playing competitively, you can (a) since it's a relatively well-balanced game with no one best list or build, just get creative and work around the stuff you want but don't have; or (b) play whatever list you want, but accept that (e.g.) 4x Blue Squadron + Advanced Sensors requires that you buy some number of shuttles and E-wings adding up to 4. (I typically choose the first option.)

predator is the biggie for me, really no one needs more than 1 defender, and a a lot of predator.

That sounds more like a personal preference, I have 3 defenders, and several lists that use more than 1...

Edit: also, two words: epic play :)

Edited by Cptnhalfbeard

Or you just learn to accept you can't have everything handed to you. Things come at a price, after all.

OR you could just proxy ;)

Flechette Torpedos - only in the Rebel Transport and the E-Wing Expansions; like with Proton Torps there isn't much resale potential for Expansions in my local group (B-, Y- & X-Wings are very easy to re-sell, almost at 100% even without the Torpedo-cards)

predator is the biggie for me, really no one needs more than 1 defender, and a a lot of predator.

Now I haven't played it, but 3 Defenders doesn't look that bad on paper. Compare it to your standard three amigos w/ Wedge, Luke, and Biggs. You have the same amount of attack dice to throw each turn. You have 3 more shields and able to throw three more agility dice. In addition, you have the Barrel roll and the white K-turn as well.

Of course you give up PS, but with the Defenders you don't really have to formation fly and can be a little trickier in your movement. You also have a bunch of different combos to run.

Vessery + two Deltas or Oynx

3 Deltas w/ Ion cannon

3 Deltas, one w/ HLC

2 Deltas + Brath w/ Pred

3 Onyx, etc.

I know I want 3 Defenders!

The cool thing about this game is that NEED and WANT are two different things.

You might want more advanced sensors, but they are by no means necessary to compete.

So play the game with what you have, buy what you want, and have fun.  Stop raging when a company does not give you everything you want for free. 

I actually posted this in the trade thread, but I am looking to get the crew cards from the Tantive IV. I just cannot afford the ship, but I would love to have those cards. If anyone may be able to help me just send me a PM. Thanks!

Personally I feel its a low ball business tactic. "Forcing" the consumer to purchase an expansion they don't want just for a side card is greedy at best.

The problem mainly stems from having cards that you can only get one way. Forcing a rebel player to buy an imp shuttle just for a card they need is ludicrous.

Every expansion pack should have a card pack that could be purchased for 30-50% of the expansion price.

They would make a killing.

Luckily, my buying preferences have little with what is actually likely to be played. I like to have small ships in multiples of 3 and 4. It can be a bit annoying. I know I'm going to need 3 of Aces packs for 3 copies of the repaints. We each have our preferences in what we want to buy. FFG does pretty well with the key upgrades, so you just need to be patient. It would not shock me to see Predator rereleased next year.