Sign in to follow this  
Imperial scum

Off-table support

I've played many tabletop mini games in my life and one rule that always intrigued me was off-table support.

Old 40k had it where you could allot points to orbital bombardment and WOTC Star Wars mini game had General Veer's special ability to call in an ordinance strike. This got me to thinking about incorporating a rule into x-wing. Imperials could have a Death Star support shot in epic play.

Rules could be when the imperial player has less ships than the rebel player, you could call in off-table support from the Death Star. It would be a one-time shot against one huge ship. The imperial player gets to roll 10 dice and if it manages to cause 1 crit on any hull section of the ship, it is destroyed. In addition, any ships within range 3 would also be destroyed. As the admiral said," we cannot repel firepower of that magnitude!"

Sounds like a great scenario. Have one side of the table represent the Super Star Destroyer and give it some hull/shields. Destroy the Super Star Destroyer before the Death Star destroys your fleet!

There are scenarios such as in the Rebel Transport where there are tokens that look like turbolaser blasts going back and forth. But I think off table support is strictly for scenario missions.

As for 40k off table support only the late Daemon-hunters and Witch-hunters had a separate orbital bombardment selections for off table support. The other off table bombardments were abilities tied to models such as IG Master of Ordinance (yeah I know the name has changed to AM) and the SM Chapter Master Orbital strike. However those require models that are still in play on the table. So if you take a look at those said mechanics it is technically not off table support to be exact. Sure on Planetstrike and Apocalypse they have rules that provide such off table ordinance strikes yet again those are "scenario" missions not your typical Warhammer 40,000 mission.

I'm currently tweaking a custom mission for my gaming club's upcoming campaign in which to capital ships (a Star Destroyer and a MonCal cruiser) fight it out with broadside while the dogfight is in-progress... The capitals are "represented" by the player board edges and each player is allowed to designate "firing lanes" (lines across the table from one player board edge to the other) as obstacles each turn (instead of placing asteroids at the beginning of the game)

It is bit problematic right now, since I'm not quite sure when the players get to designate firing lanes