I know that Duty can be increased but I'm a bit confused as to how exactly it happens.

Does the GM award points of Duty at the end of a session where Duty has come into play?

If so, how much?

Yes, usually at the end of a session (or like whenever you award XP). When awarding, factor in the magnitude of their accomplishment and how fast you want them gaining Contribution ranks in the Alliance. Edited by awayputurwpn

I plan on taking a little out of the party's XP. Instead of 15-20 XP plus motivation, I might give them 10-15XP plus motivation and 5-10 Duty. Or I might give them Duty instead of money. Instead of a reasonable 1000 per PC credit award, give them 5 Duty.

There's a sidebar in the Age of Rebellion Beta that says the following:

Player Character (sic) earn Duty value through achieving goals relating to their Duty or making choices motivated by their Duty. The GM can grant this Duty to PCs immediately upon them achieving their goals, or at the end of the session. How much Duty a GM awards depends on the campaign he is running and the magnitude of the accomplishment; though it is typically a value between 1 and 10.

This guidance appears to have been removed from the Core Rulebook.

Operation: Shadowpoint is the followup adventure for the beginner box, so it uses the beginner rules. I would not use that as a basis on how Duty should work. I suspect that the +1 WT buff is meant to simplify Duty in the Beginner rules.

Edited by kaosoe

that sounds like a reasonable explanation, kaosoe.

i think once my party transitions to AoR in their campaign that i will likely award duty points based on mission objectives completed.  we don't get together so often and this will work in the similar sense as awarding the higher end of xp for sessions. that being said, i don't think that i'll award duty until the mission/adventure has been completed and not as objectives are completed.

Duty works like the opposite of obligation.

You do your job? Add Duty.

You skip your job when you get the chance a few times? Lose Duty.

Aside from that core idea, there's the amounts; I suggest doing it in low amounts, as Contribution points add up to explaining your rank in the Alliance, but it's really up to you (you could just say that they start and end as respected operatives, or earn that and just gain more and more respect). I'd also say that they earn less the more they play. First few sessions, they might gain a contribution point or two. After that, it comes much more slowly.

Also, on a side note, I'd suggest allowing players to spend Duty to gain advantages in the game; such as using your accruing prestige as a cover to get better guns for a mission, which then causes you to lose said prestige for doing so (you look like a jerk for using it as a cover).

(NOTE: I currently don't have the CRB, so this might already be said if FFG had similar thoughts, or may be canceled out if they felt differently. These are just my ideas.) EDIT: Turns out I was relatively on the right track, aside from spending Duty.

Hope I was help.

Edited by Castlecruncher

'Duty' is something I decided to skip entirely.  We barely use Obligation, but Duty really does seem very disconnected from the game. You have a mission that is purely sneaking, with no combat, but if you have 'Combat Superiority' and that comes up, you get a bonus? I don't like rules that aren't connected to what's actually going on in the game. 

So I'm handling promotions and supplies purely from a narrative viewpoint and depending on mission results.  I'm letting each player choose a Duty, and if that tallies with the current mission, they get the +2 bonus to threshold to simulate this is their area of focus.

Edited by Maelora