Osoroshii

Earning Your Wings! A Guide For Understanding Movment.

A bump but for an edit and update request for Barrel Rolls and Large Ships! With the new Barrel Roll for Large Ship bases I think the field of movement has drastically changed.

Also lets take a look at how hazards effect other ships especially with the new debris cloud. I remember a nice move where my movement template was besides and asteroid (not on it) and I was able to have my A-wing squeeze through a fur ball and an asteroid without taking any penalties.

Just a shameless bump!

Thank you for that. Just today I was searching for this very thread. I recently started playing on vassal and my maneuvering had been off. This will help.

Edited by Nickotine42

Not to forget the new K-turn maneuver or is it S-turn. I still think K turns and S-turns would be a good chapter to cover comparing it with ranges of passing through other ships (The jousting maneuver). The B-Wing has a 2 K the Tie Bomber has a 5 K and the Defender has a White K Turn. The most Common K Turn is a 4. Many that have 2 different K turns have the 3 K turn.

Edited by Marinealver

Doesn't these forums have a sticky function?

Yes it does. The Armada board has a pinned post. But I think it requires a moderator to pin something, and we seem to have a shortage of those.

I sent a request to the FFGWebmaster requesting this thread be stickied. I've heard nothing from them. One way to always find this thread is switch the forum view to most viewed and it is on the first page there. Thanks again for everyone in the community for the support on this thread. I will be updating it soon to cover others topics such as large base barrel rolls.

Part 8: Large Ship Barrel Roll

The Wave 5 expansion includes the YT-2400 for the rebel. This is the first time we see a large base ship with the natural ability to perform a barrel roll action.

a7ac32e338fb01e9ab1f7d847a10ff38_zpsf198

Large ships perform the barrel roll action slightly different than the small base ships. On a small ship the forward 1 template is placed with the end of the template to the side of the ship. For large base ships you use the side of the forward 1 template and place it along side the large ship base.

fe3293fff7dd7fbb20d7eade53dc1bec_zpsfa2a

Because of the large ship base you get a lot of movement from this action. We know the large ship bases are the size of 4 small bases placed in a square. Each section on the range ruler is two and a half small ship bases. This means the lateral movement from a large ship base will move an entire section of the range ruler. The forward and back movement can be as much as a small ship base.

e1e2a01ea57eadab76419780f55f1180_zps2c6c

As always one of the best uses for a barrel roll is to avoid being shot at. The angles we talk about for the small ship barrel roll are still used for avoiding enemy arcs. The distance the large ship can cover however is much more.

0a8745e80e25c058ba3f896310c0bb1b_zpse9e4

The side to side movement is where the YT-2400's barrel roll can really shine. The title card "Outrider" allows the YT-2400 to fire a cannon weapon outside it's fire arc. The downside to this is, it can not fire it's primary weapon while it has a cannon upgrade equipped. Heavy Laser Cannon isa very powerful weapon in StarWars X-Wing. The cannon allows for a 4 dice attack at range 2 or 3. The YT-2400 equipped with Outrider and Heavy Laser Cannon will have a blind spot at range 1 due to the restriction of not being able to fire you primary weapon.

82d1365437063360bea0e402d65a3215_zps142b

This becomes less of a problem because of the barrel roll. We've already talked about the lateral full range movement you get from the large ship barrel roll. So this full range we move will allow the YT-2400 to move away from the enemy a full range and keep he Heavy Laser Cannon firing.

d3bf02b3c7bea547e95f0217e217579c_zpsd5e7

Hey Osoroshii,

Got a question, how would you visualize very large amounts of space.  

Say the 3k,4k, and 5k.  Let's say you want to k-turn into a board edge and youre not sure you're gonna make it.  so... a 4k has to consider the 5 straight range.

Also, how to gauge range 2 and range 3?

Here's an even harder one.  Lets say we are flying straight at each other from across the board. (rule of 13)  How would you accurately gauge a space of say... movement 8 or 9?  Let's say I have a tie bomber with a missile and I want to ensure it gets into range 2 or 3.  

Or even harder.  Let's say we aren't straight on and we aren't at the exact position of rule13.  I want my tie bomber to get as close to range 3 as possible.  How would you gauge it?

The range ruler helps with situation. We know the edge of the map gets measured at the beginning of the match and Astroids can't get placed inside of the range 2. Each range is 2.5 ship bases and the Astroids will often sit at the range 2 from the edge. Range 2 is a forward five. Use the astroid to gauge the distance from the edge your ship is. If you have a ship with a K4 and you are closer to the edge than the astroid sitting at range 2, you won't make it. If the astroid is closer than the ship trying to k-turn you will.

A bomber with a missile has more to do with Pilot Skill level than the rule of 13. If your bomber is a lower PS it will always have a harder time getting the Lock and still being at the required range for the missile to fire it.

The range ruler helps with situation. We know the edge of the map gets measured at the beginning of the match and Astroids can't get placed inside of the range 2. Each range is 2.5 ship bases and the Astroids will often sit at the range 2 from the edge. Range 2 is a forward five. Use the astroid to gauge the distance from the edge your ship is. If you have a ship with a K4 and you are closer to the edge than the astroid sitting at range 2, you won't make it. If the astroid is closer than the ship trying to k-turn you will.

A bomber with a missile has more to do with Pilot Skill level than the rule of 13. If your bomber is a lower PS it will always have a harder time getting the Lock and still being at the required range for the missile to fire it.

Also, great thoughts on the K-turn.  

So is there anything you can do where as a lower PS bomber you can reliably get into R3 and stay within R2 or R3?  

Hey, so, any tips on guessing R3?  Say you want to guess whether BR your int will get it out of arc.  How would you accurate judge that?  

As a note:  I do not have the depth perception to add bases on end beyond two or three accurately.  Bad eyesight, bad depth perception.