Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Darkwood

Lasertouch vs Battlefoam

Ok so I am having a really hard time deciding whether I want to go with lasertouch or battlefoam. Do any of you have any thoughts? Also please no telling me about Plano cases or anything else. I have already decided I don't want that.

I have been looking to upgrade to foam storage for a while now, but still haven't pulled the trigger.  I have been looking at both BF and LT, including using both of their custom tray creators, and have come to these conclusions.

- With LT, the real cost will be shipping from Australia to the US - about $60.00.  BF is in Arizona.  The AU/US exchange rate is almost 1:1 so no big deal there.  IF you are in the US, you also don't have to pay the AU GST (Goods and Services Tax), which is included in their prices.

- The LT trays are a lot smaller that the standard BF trays (more than half), so you will most likely be needing more LT trays, depending on your fleet size.

- Craig with LT is a really nice guy and will actually help you design your trays or answer any questions you have about the design process.  You can even commission him to design your trays for you (at least he offered it to me).

- LT "pre-designed" trays have a lot of thought put into them (just look at the Tantive IV tray) and the layouts make total sense, unlike BF where you get good ship storage but the token/dial/bases/card, etc. storage leaves something to be desired.  I also really dig the "tray titles" on the sides of the LT trays.

As I write this, it makes me think that LT is going to be the better choice for me.  Time to save up!  Hope this helps.

Not that I have gotten anything from LT, I am really tempted.

I did shoot an email to Craig to ask a few questions and he got back to me super fast, which is awesome.

The best thing I like about the LT trays is that you can fit different ships into the one slot, so you are not just limited to say 5 x-wings, you can just put y-wings in the same one.

Also there is the nice template tray which seems to hold them nicely.

Just a case of saving the money for it eh.

LT's custom tray maker can also be used to make BF size trays as well I believe.  His product is very nice and I have seen it in the flesh several times.  He puts a lot of effort into squeezing the most out of the available space.

well just my 2 cents...  i have asked a couple of questions directly to Laser touch on here AND via email to them and they never responded back... that's a deal breaker for me...  BF has answered my questions in the past.. that said i do like the Laser touch custom foam app better than the one Bf uses.... however i am also completely satisfied with my shield bag from Battle foam...Thinking about upgrading to a pac 720...

I do like how the LT ones are for multi ships, and that your dials and bases are in each tray with the ships. Seems more organized that way. But the battlefoam is a better price and will the slight difference be enough in the end.

I can't help you decide between them, but I can give a vote of confidence for laser touch. I am extremely pleased with my decision. Having really nice versatile trays ready to go was definitely a bonus.

Just don't caught in the trap I did. Several of the trays have extra for rebel ships, but only two trays have actual imperial small base ship slots. I have tons of empty slots for rebels, but none for imperials. As you tend towards more imperial ships overall this is a problem. I have more perspective now that I used them for while and I did not make the correct choices of trays at the outset. Unfortunately I ordered before the combined huge ship tray was released, the firespray/shuttle tray doesn't fit my collection very well and contains more unused space than others.

Also bear in mind international orders (non-australian) don't pay the included GST so end up about 10 percent cheaper than the list price, which helps mitigate shipping a bit.

Also phantoms don't currently fit in any of the slots, which is a pain. Defenders are a bit of a squish,but do fit. Looking forward to seeing what Craig comes up with next for the wave 4 ships and beyond.

Meh!

Homebrew it!

For the small ships you just need 1 sheet of 30mm thick packaing foam and 2 sheets of 5mm foam cut to the length and width you want - cost you about a tenner

Make some templates of the ships  - cut the shapes out of the foam with an electric carving knife - glue 1 of the 5mm sheets on the back - keep the other one to lay over the top.

It's the easiest thing in the world to do yourself that doesn't make Jesus cry

Personally I cut my own out of foam and fit them in starter boxes. It works well though juggling boxes is annoying. That being said I REALLY like the look and design of LT. It's intelligently designed and looks to be well worth the extra price. I've wanted to grab the BF stuff but their layouts on the pre-cut stuff are just dumb and result in a lot of wasted space. Seriously, no one will ever want seven TIE advanced. Yes you can do the custom cut but the custom LT app is way better and his templates are genius. When I have some extra money that's where it's going.

Also I like the small trays. It makes it easier to just add in a new tray when A new wave hits. Though I guess it would be nice to use double size bags and just fit the trays in side by side. Hmm, Laser Touch folks if you're reading you can have that one free of charge ;)

Laser Touch is still fairly new to the scene.  Give them time to grow a little and I'm sure they will come out with more bag options.

For me personally, I will create my own gimp foam trays for my X-Wing and will be grabbing the BF PACK 720 and PACK Plus bags, because the ability to swap out stuff for multiple game systems is a savior.  Two bags can cover pretty much anything that I might want to transport with 18" of foam trays.

I've got a Battlefoam PACK 432 and love it (designed custom trays to fit my needs).  I'm upgrading to the PACK 720 as soon as the sale goes live, and selling the 432 to a friend.  Down the road I'll get a PACK Plus to expand into once the 720 is full.  I've had a great experience with their product so far, although the custom stuff take a little while to ship.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, still not exactly sure how I will proceed. My biggest problem with battlefoam is not the way it handles ships but the way it handles the tokens/templates, cards, bases etc.. lasertouch seems more organized with that. Also as someone pointed out, why the hell do I need that many tie advanced slots? I have 2 tie advanced and often wonder why I have that many. But the 432 pack with wave 1-4 foam will fit all my ships at a decent price and I can get the templates and tokens from cog o two, which are amazing.

The lasertouch costs a bit more but has a great system for the accessories and the multi ship slots are really nice. also their Perspex tokens and templates seem nice and having it all match is cool. But the problem is if I buy a medium bag deal I cannot fit enough trays into the medium bag for my ships. No matter how I figure it I am a tray short. I really don't want to have to buy another bag or the large bag. At the same time regardless of who I go with I will need more trays eventually as new ships come out so maybe two medium bags isn't so bad.

At Michaels craft stores this week all of thier plastic scrapbooking storage totes are 40% off that mixed with an online 15% off total order even on sale items makes for some easily had storage solutions.

I was lucky enough to have a P.A.C.K. 720 purchased for me by my parents for my 23rd this year. I have two trays, one for all ships wave 1 to 3 and a second tray that fits most gaming pieces. Right now I am keeping the extra ships I have purchased as well as wave 4 ships in their plastic wrap boxes, laying just on top of the foam. In a couple of months time when I have some money, I fully intend to create a custom wave 4 tray that will fit whatever I need it to fit, and then a tantive/transport combo tray.

I know people like the versatility of the LaserTouch foam slots, however I'm someone who prefers the precise measurements of the battlefoam trays. I can't speak for LT, but KR cases do foam trays where you can store them on the stands and when I see a fellow player with a KR case pull out an X-Wing and I see the laser cannons are a bit bent out of shape and it looks very very very bad. I can keep confidence that the Battlefoam tray will keep my X-Wing cannons ramrod straight.

yep spent ALL morning designing my soon to be ordered pack 720 bag... I just like all the bells and whistles that the pack bags have as compared to my shield bag that i currently have.. besides i all ready have a ton of "Molly" accessories from when i used to be active duty...  love the old shield bag I have and for the price it cant be beat, even tried a DIY solution that turned out to be nearly the same price and looked like crap!! main reason i am up grading to a pack 720 is SIZE!!!  

Edited by Swedge

Thanks for everyones help, I have decided to go with battlefoam. I bought a pack 432 a cr90/transport tray, the 2 template/token/card trays and designed 3 custom trays for the ship I have/ want. While there is things I really like about lasertouch, the cost and what I can fit in the pack works out better with battlefoam.

Now I need to decide on acrylic tokens/templates. If I had bought the lasertouch I would have just purchased his. Now I am waiting to see if this kickstarter is successful https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/azogames/azogames-premium-acrylic-and-wood-gaming-accessories

If that doesn't work out I will probably buy from Cog O Two.

Does anyone else see all these low-post-count members talking about Battlefoam and think "marketers"?

I mean, I've seen enough of their products in use to know that it's not like they're peddling terrible product, but the company itself doesn't seem to be run by nice people and I can't justify supporting them.

http://www.popehat.com/2013/05/02/battlefoam-learns-why-legal-threats-can-be-dangerous/

http://plasticlegions.blogspot.ca/2010/09/foam-wars.html

First off, are you accusing people like me of being a marketer just because I have a low post count? I find that slightly offensive that my credibility is called into question due to my post count.

Second I have seen all the media crap on battlefoam and yes it looks like Romeo is an ass and they have some bad tactics. But if I could get the product from a better company even if it cost a few dollars more I would. I like the foam and I am not a fan of Plano cases, sorry.

First off, are you accusing people like me of being a marketer just because I have a low post count? I find that slightly offensive that my credibility is called into question due to my post count.

Second I have seen all the media crap on battlefoam and yes it looks like Romeo is an ass and they have some bad tactics. But if I could get the product from a better company even if it cost a few dollars more I would. I like the foam and I am not a fan of Plano cases, sorry.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm just used to forums where this stuff is actually a problem, and knee-jerked because it's practically the last thing I'd want to see on here.

As far as foam goes unless you absolutely need to have perfectly-cut spaces for ships, I've found a sheet and some cutting tools to be far more cost-effective and compact than the predesigned shapes most companies offer are.

I have a BF sword and a shield bag. Both are great value.

I like the sword better due to the shape it is far easier to carry, un-zips all the way down for much easier access and has a hard top.

Also pluck foam FTW

Just cut up the ship packaging and now everything fits great.