Sign in to follow this  
Seanamal

Upgrade packs

I was curious, what if FFG released a series of packs that were just pilot cards and ship upgrade cards. Like for $10 you would get 3 new named pilots and 6 upgrade cards. FFG could publish these faster since they are way easier to produce than minis, and it could be easily used to breath life into lesser used expansions like the tie advanced or hawk. I think however there should be no overlap with previously published products, ie no rebel transport x wing pilots in an x wing booster.

Why would they leave money on the table.  Yes it would be good for us players but the can charge more for a repaint with those same cards and we will still all scream "TAKE MY MONEY! WHY YOU NO MAKE MORE SO I CAN GIVE YOU MO MONEY?!"

Yeah but what if the cards in the repaint were different from the booster pack? IE you only can get the cards in the booster in the booster?

Edited by Seanamal

Why would they leave money on the table.  Yes it would be good for us players but the can charge more for a repaint with those same cards and we will still all scream "TAKE MY MONEY! WHY YOU NO MAKE MORE SO I CAN GIVE YOU MO MONEY?!"

Yeah but what if the cards in the repaint were different from the booster pack? IE you only can get the cards in the booster in the booster?

Because... they can put out a new ship and we will still buy it and they make more money.. also, this isn't a card game, so no need for such things...

We see this same topic come about once a month or so.

I guess that's because it doesn't outdate easily  :D

Personally, I'd have really benefitted from having cards available without ships - because I had enough ships of each kind for filling 100 points with the cheapest pilot when all my pilot and upgrade cards were stolen. Was a huge PITA to get the card collection back to a level where I'm happy with it (and I'm not completely done yet)...

Edited by haslo

because we will buy just as many if it has a ship in it or not. and they can charge more with a ship in it.  more profit = win

So 10 dollars for some cards or 15 dollars for some cards and a ship? At that price, FFG would actually make a killing off the cards, as the ship has to cost them more than 5 bucks to make. And then figure out how much more packaging they need, materials for making the ship, bulk of shipping the ships.

I am against this. First off, it would be a rip off for the consumer. Secondly, I would rather they have to think about new ships and their impact on the game rather than sell us permutations of the same ships.

As it is now, buy the ships and spit them with your friends. If you need a PTL and dont want a 4th Awing or Interceptor, see if anyone in your group wants one. Honestly, I wouldnt mind a 6th xwing, but I dont want to buy another expansion as I have them all. But if someone new wants to stock up on cards or wants a more ties from the starter, Ill buy the lone Xwing model off. I want to run a ten X-Wing Epic squadron with all the named pilots and 2 Reds all decked out.

Pretty sure that if this was in FFG's financial best interest we would have already seen this by now, since literally everyone to ever play the game has asked for this at some point.

What I would like, is to be able to get upgrade cards without buying ships. There are cards I want with ships I don't and no other way to get hold of them. It wouldn't be so bad if all cards were repeated but some of them aren't. Stealth Device being my biggest bugbear!

Card Packs are a terrible marketing idea.  They need to sell ships, so they're not going to let you buy anything for cheaper than a ship.  You should be happy they used fixed distribution.  You could buy five random boosters and never get the cards you want.  It wouldn't help them sell this game, because this is a tabletop game, not a card game.  The purpose of the cards is to prevent you from buying an expensive rulebook, aka Warhammer.  Don't hold your breath.  Card packs aren't going to happen for this game.  Having cards only matters at tournaments anyway, and most people play way more games in general than tournament games specifically.

While I may like to see some cards re-released as part of a card pack I certainly do NOT want so see "new" cards put out this way.  I also doubt it is something that FFG is going to do considering they've shown a willingness to reprint cards with new expansions which just leave pilots as the only thing you need to get an expansion for.  For the most part any pilots gained in an expansion can easily be used with any other ship of the same kind; the only exception to this is the Royal Guard Pilots and a couple unique pilots from Imperial Aces.