Sign in to follow this  
GrumpyMuffin

Showing the TIE Advanced Some Love

I've been reading a lot of posts lately about giving the TIE Advanced a chance.  I decided to give it a shot and here is the squad I came up with.  I haven't played it yet but will this weekend.  What do you think?

Darth Vader - Swarm Tactics + EU (35)

Night Beast (15)

Winged Gundark (15)

Echo - VI + ACD (35)

Every one plays Vader, but none of the others.

I've been trying to work even Vader in my lists, but, especially with Wave IV out, I feel like there are much better options for those points.

Edited by AlexW

For my part, I think wave 4 helped  Vader by giving him an EPT made for him: Outmaneuver. Combined with Engine Upgrade and his 2 action per turn, Vader never been so deadly. Close second goes to Vader with Predator.

Now, we wait for Proton Rockets to complete the combo. 5 attack dice + focus vs your defense minus 1. All praise the Sith Lord.

Played a very successful Vader + Outmaneuver + EU.  A strong combo, to be sure.

When they first announced Proton Rockets, the first thing I did was start eying those Tempest Squadron Pilots.  I still don't think it's quite enough to make me want to play them, but it's a step in the right direction.

For my part, I think wave 4 helped  Vader by giving him an EPT made for him: Outmaneuver. Combined with Engine Upgrade and his 2 action per turn, Vader never been so deadly. Close second goes to Vader with Predator.

Now, we wait for Proton Rockets to complete the combo. 5 attack dice + focus vs your defense minus 1. All praise the Sith Lord.

The problem is that Vader + Outmaneuver + Proton Rockets + Engine Upgrade is 39 points. He's good, but is he better than loaded-up Echo?

The problem is that Vader + Outmaneuver + Proton Rockets + Engine Upgrade is 39 points. He's good, but is he better than loaded-up Echo?

I would say he's different. Better against turrets that's for sure, and being PS9 helps too in dodging firing arc while getting a good one. I would actually be curious to see a heads-up beteen the 2.

I think the Tie Advance is a love/hate relationship. People want to play with it but cannot, here are just better ships out there. I want to play Steele but there are just better out there...

It may have its place, but here are always better out there.

For my part, I think wave 4 helped Vader by giving him an EPT made for him: Outmaneuver. Combined with Engine Upgrade and his 2 action per turn, Vader never been so deadly. Close second goes to Vader with Predator. Now, we wait for Proton Rockets to complete the combo. 5 attack dice + focus vs your defense minus 1. All praise the Sith Lord.

Heck, Whisper is 40 with VI (so same PS), ACD, and Rec Spec, which I think is a superior ship to that Vader, and better on a team, and even has comparable action economy. (Side note: I think one thing a lot of people are dismissing, or at least minimizing, about the phantom is the decloak is like a free action, equivalent to a built in PTL move with no stress and can be done while stews or ionized) Edited by AlexW

I don't know. Phantom is the new kid on the block that have yet to be properly countered, so it's hard to tell since they are currently a very good unit compared to pretty much anything. Once we get used to playing against them, I think it will settle and really be a question of preference and playstyle. They both handle very differently.

Vader with Engine Upgrade is pretty much handling like a Tie Interceptor with PtL, except no stress so he actually have access to a better dial and have 2 Shields. His only drawback really is the fact that he attack with only 2 dice. Outmaneuver and later the inclusion of Proton Rockets helps mitigate that.

Not for everyone and not an auto-include (a title no unit should have), but he will find a place in a couple of my builds. I say a couple because I hate always playing the same thing... need to diversify.

Heck, Whisper is 40 with VI (so same PS), ACD, and Rec Spec, which I think is a superior ship to that Vader, and better on a team, and even has comparable action economy. (Side note: I think one thing a lot of people are dismissing, or at least minimizing, about the phantom is the decloak is like a free action, equivalent to a built in PTL move with no stress and can be done while stews or ionized)

You can do it whilst stressed but I'm not convinced you can do it whilst ionized - you don't assign a manouvre dial whilst ionized, so I would suggest can't do anything that says "before you reveal your manouvre".

I think outmanouvre will be a nice one for Vader.

Opportunist has the problem with shedding stress (not actually that easy in an Advanced, which has no green hard turns) and the fact that Vader shoots first so tokens will still be there, Expose cuts into your agility, and whilst Predator gives you a free re-roll, with two actions Vader will probably have a target lock if he wants one.

I've been reading a lot of posts lately about giving the TIE Advanced a chance.  I decided to give it a shot and here is the squad I came up with.  I haven't played it yet but will this weekend.  What do you think?

Darth Vader - Swarm Tactics + EU (35)

Night Beast (15)

Winged Gundark (15)

Echo - VI + ACD (35)

I don't really see a good target for the Swarm Tactics. Is it really worth the two points to up the PS on one of the TIE's? You might be better served with Squad Leader or even Wingman as an insurance policy.

A little variation but might be fun:

Vader + Outmaneuver + EU

Vessery + Outmaneuver

2x Obsidians

Force the opponent to turn their back on one of the two and it could do some solid damage, plus Vader and Vessery synergize together fairly well. Still not convinced Vader is worth the 36 points there that I would like to maybe devote to something else (like dropping the Obsidians to Academies to bring in Echo+VI+FCS+Adv Cloak), but I too would really like to fit a TIE Advanced in a list somewhere...

Edited by ExpatSmuggler

I agree 100% that the advanced is not worth it's points and can easily be subbed for other more cost effective ships. I have found one great use for the ship - introducing new players to the game.

What is a more iconic image than taking vader in an advanced with TIE support vs. Luke, Wedge, and Biggs? Most new players are hooked once they play either side for the love of Star Wars. I set these squads up as an intro and afterwards move into squad building. This is the point where the advanced sees little to no use. So, though it is not great for competitive play, it does serve a purpose, and I have to give it some love for increasing my gaming group.

I agree 100% that the advanced is not worth it's points and can easily be subbed for other more cost effective ships. I have found one great use for the ship - introducing new players to the game.

What is a more iconic image than taking vader in an advanced with TIE support vs. Luke, Wedge, and Biggs? Most new players are hooked once they play either side for the love of Star Wars. I set these squads up as an intro and afterwards move into squad building. This is the point where the advanced sees little to no use. So, though it is not great for competitive play, it does serve a purpose, and I have to give it some love for increasing my gaming group.

That is an awesome idea.  My  9 year old nephew is coming to spend a week with me in August and I am going to introduce him to X-wing.  Totally going to do this.