Sign in to follow this  
AdmiralBowTIE

Presenting my low cost anti slide solution for shop bases.

Hey,

today I made my first X-Wing related video. I am very clumsy when performing movements, so I have been looking for a low cost solution to give the bases some more traction to minimize the impact of my clumsiness. Finally I reached a feasible solution which is also pretty low cost hence I decided it may be worth sharing

Check out the video tutorial here:

Kind regards,

Admiral BowTIE

Edited by AdmiralBowTIE

Brilliant. But why would you need this?? Seriously, no sarcasm just curious :)

Well, when executing maneuvers it often happens that I bump other ships and move them accidentally. With this anti slide modification they do not move as far. Moreover, when putting down the ships on their final destination they often move a little when you let them go. The modification minimises this effect. I just would like to have everything correctly executed because sometimes a few millimetres decide whether you are allowed to shoot or not.

Edited by AdmiralBowTIE

Cut squares of a thin mousepad works pretty well also.

A friend of mine is planning to try this. I guess the Admiral's suggestion has both non-slide as well as weight to recommend it.

Another guy I play with frequently uses adhesive putty.

Personally, I like a felt mat, rather than a sliding vinyl one, but I don't always play on my mat. So, AdmiralBowTIE's suggestion is something I'm going to really consider.

Brilliant. But why would you need this?? Seriously, no sarcasm just curious :)

Well, when executing maneuvers it often happens that I bump other ships and move them accidentally. With this anti slide modification they do not move as far. Moreover, when putting down the ships on their final destination they often move a little when you let them go. The modification minimises this effect. I just would like to have everything correctly executed because sometimes a few millimetres decide whether you are allowed to shoot or not.

Aha, got it :)

Much easier solution;

paint rubber cement to the bottom edge of the base.  I also use it glue the washer to the under side of the base.  you can get a large tube of Elmer's rubber cement for $5 or $6 at any store that sells stationary or craft supplies.  I got mine at my local Walmart. Just another very low cost idea

Thanks to all of you for the nice feedback. Considering the many suggestions I should have asked here before making a video to try out multiple solutions and pick the best one. Ah, well, at least we have a place here where we could gather other ideas now. :-)

Ironically, coins are cheaper than washers and should work just as well if not too fat.

paint rubber cement to the bottom edge of the base.  I also use it glue the washer to the under side of the base.  you can get a large tube of Elmer's rubber cement for $5 or $6 at any store that sells stationary or craft supplies.  I got mine at my local Walmart. Just another very low cost idea

Okay, so the combined solution is to rubber cement glue a quarter to the bottom of the base and then paint rubber cement over the quarter to get the non-sliding underside?

That's something that I could try this very instant. ... if I weren't allegedly working, that is.

I have done a similar thing with liquid latex (the kind for sfx makeup) onto the bottom of one set of asteroid tokens. We tend to play on sprayed wood play mats and these hold on nicely. It is thin enough not to affect the height of the asteroids and can be pealed off with little marking to the asteroid token if not wanted any more.

I have done a similar thing with liquid latex (the kind for sfx makeup) onto the bottom of one set of asteroid tokens. We tend to play on sprayed wood play mats and these hold on nicely. It is thin enough not to affect the height of the asteroids and can be pealed off with little marking to the asteroid token if not wanted any more.

I really like the idea of making the asteroids sticky! I have no liquid latex though, but I will try to add some of my anti slide mat to them to make them stay in place. Great idea, haven't thought of that before.

If you are in the UK (& Europe) and are looking for a cheap rubber cement or liquid latex then check your local stores for Copydex.

It smells a bit funky but is a water based latex cement, not solvent based. Also relatively safe and it's used alot in schools and for sticking on false eyelashes (apparently). Great fun to paint onto your hand to make scars and then peel off. I had hours of fun with this stuff when I was younger.

But luckily I was at a recent swedish furniture store so bizzarly have a role of said antislip material. Must give it a try Admiral.