Sign in to follow this  
SpikeSpiegel

Let's Design Wave 1 for Prequel Ships!

I hated the prequals but I loved some of the clone wars. I probably wouldn't buy a prequel edition of x-wing, but I like the design challenge. So, here's my take on the Eta-2 light interceptor (jedi starfighter) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-2_Actis-class_light_interceptor

It has the same action bar, with a simmilar dial and cost as a TIE interceptor, but with an astromech and cannon slot, and target lock.

Pilot abilities should be in keeping with what we have with other force users, Luke (pilot/crew), Kyle, and Vader, possibly Jax. So free Focus, extra actions, stress removal, maneuvering, etc.

They shouldn't be mainly damage focused support abilities like howlrunner, biggs, jan ors, mauler, etc.

I'll agree that the Naboo fighter looked... goofy.

As to the complaint that FFG might read this and make prequel fighters.... I find that... silly. If they were gonna do it, they were gonna do it. This little old thread, nor the ones that came before, nor the ones that come after, will likely have an iota of impact on their decision to do so. LFL, Disney, and their own ideas are all that will impact any such decision. I've stated before that I think its unlikely. The Clone Wars cartoon was canceled unceremoniously, and I wouldn't be shocked if Disney just wanted to sweep the prequels under the rug. I enjoyed 2 and 3 quite a bit myself, but, whatever.

Back to the things at hand. I like the start on the Arc, but I'd like to see the rear firing arc represented somehow. I don't think its a turret, persay, but mebbe we could give it the rear-arc of the Firespray. Powerful, to be sure, but less so on a small base.

What do folks think about my ideas for the Jedi fighters? I think its a solid possibility of a place for 4 agility, to represent the precog abilities of the Jedi. I'm also tickled by the idea of no generic pilots. Its fairly unique, and thematically appropriate. Are there any examples of redshirts piloting those fighters? I'm not a lore expert any more, but I don't remember that occuring.

I'm thinking a stat line of

And probably start pilot skill around 3. I agree that maneuvering, action manipulation and stress manipulation are best generally for abilities, but disagree and think that some of the greater leaders could be good candidates for support style abilities.

Edited by Damoel

There could be a 'Anakin Skywalker' episode-one crew card with the ability "I'm not doing anything!", which means the ships he's in just goes on autopilot and does all the work for you.

Jar Jar Binks crewcard is similar to Biggs. If a ship with Jar Jar in is within range, all ships* MUST target that ship. If he's NOT within the fire arc, all ships must attempt to manuover so it will be at the earliest opportunity.

*(Note: This applies to allies as well as enemy ships)

Anakin Skywalker episode-two crew card has the "I don't like sand; it's rough and course and it gets everywhere" ability. The ship immediately takes a stress token, and so does everyone else on the game board for enduring that line of dialogue.

The 'Midichloreans' ship upgrade negates all force-based abilities (E.G: Skywalkers 'evade' ability) by reducing the Force to some boring, pseudo-scientific nonsense to do with microbes or...something? Whatever.

Darth Maul could be a pilot. His stats are amazing, and he's easily the best thing 'on-screen' while he's around, but each turn an evade dice must be rolled. If a blank is rolled, he must be removed from the game because he doesn't really get to stick around for long enough despite being awesome.

To be fair, one good thing would be a fun scenario where the droids have a numerical advantage, and the clones have to take out the command ship to shut them all down before it's too late. Or have the scene from ep 3 where the Capital ships are unleashing broadsides against each other. That could happen in the background (or hell, bring out the ships as well) and the fighters are trying to make hit-and-run attacks to harrass and distract the Capital Ships, causing damage here and there when they can, hoping to make as many small contributions to turning the tide of the Capital Ship duel while also evading and dogfighting the enemy fighters. Could be fun.

I had read somewhere that Jedi starfighters didn't have shields. Perhaps change the stats to 3,4,2,0 if this is correct? Nimble but fragile, totally dependent on their force using pilots to avoid damage.

Jedi Pilot special ability: Count all <Focus> rolled during defense as <evade>.  Basically giving them a free focus action for defense only, based on their connection with the force.

I think the ARC-170 should have a rear arc, with a 3/1 stat with the ability to shoot in both arcs during combat, 3 skill to the front but only 1 skill to the rear. Doesn't seem overpowering but still enough to keep pesky enemy from getting on their 6 at range 1.

E

The prequels are certainly horrible films, but I wouldn't be totally against prequel factions for X-Wing.

Hell, I actually like the Naboo starfighter. I think it looks cool.

No child Anakin though. Please. For the love of god. No. Nuh uh.

I fear that if you do the Naboo N-1, Baby Anakin is inevitable because...well...who else is there?

(...Actually, thinking about it, there's Padme and Gregar Typho in the first scene of Attack of the Clones. Plus Ric Olié, the squadron leader in the space battle. So several.)

Generic Pilots:

Bravo Squadron Pilot

Echo Squadron Pilot - they also had an Alpha squadron but to avoid duplication let's pick Echo.

I dunno, though. I'd rather the clone wars stuff be Clones vs Droids.

The Droid 'generic fighter' is easy - the Vulture. But the Republic one? I'd be tempted to leave the ARC-170 - it's a multiple crew, heavy fighter - for later. The Torrent or clone Headhunters would be the best 'generic fighters'. The Jedi Starfighter and Jedi Interceptor deserve quite a bit of attention but would you put it in the starter wave?

Maybe. It is iconic. So Jedi Starfighter and Torrents versus Vulture Droids and....what? Hyeenas?

For every fan of the prequels there are a thousand that hate that film, I really doubt there are enough people who like the ship designs to make it financially viable.

I certainly would not buy any prequel stuff myself, or play against people using it.

As for episode VII I'm not opposed to a new movie but I hate jj I've never liked any of his tv shows or movies and he outright ruined those star trek movies, I'm pretty sure he'll screw the pooch.

What do folks think about my ideas for the Jedi fighters? I think its a solid possibility of a place for 4 agility, to represent the precog abilities of the Jedi. I'm also tickled by the idea of no generic pilots. Its fairly unique, and thematically appropriate. Are there any examples of redshirts piloting those fighters? I'm not a lore expert any more, but I don't remember that occuring.

I'm thinking a stat line of

And probably start pilot skill around 3. I agree that maneuvering, action manipulation and stress manipulation are best generally for abilities, but disagree and think that some of the greater leaders could be good candidates for support style abilities.

PS 5 or 6 for "generic" jedi pilot would work fine.

I'm not a massive fan of moving prequel ships into the game, but there is nothing more I love than theorycrafting. I'll get to work on some things for you!

Starting with:

Clone_Pilot_Front_Face.jpg

I'll do a V-Wing later :)

Maybe have a title card for it to be able to take Anti Pursuit lasers even though it isn't a big ship?

Prediction.... there will be Episode VII haters too... because they can.

That is not so much a prediction as a hard cold fact already.

Kevin Smith's tears bring me hope.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Kevin-Smith-Left-Star-Wars-Episode-7-Set-Crying-Today-43677.html

On the topic. I liked many of the ship designs. I think they did a really good work on that, the problem was that they were the prequels, so it was kinda wasted since it just looked out of place in the movie timeline. But the designs were amazing really, i can't see myself saying no to an arc-170 fighter just because i hate Jar Jar binks.

Edited by Yipikayey

ARC-170 Rear Turret:

Once per round, when an enemy at range 1 outside your primary firing arc attacks that enemy rolls 1 fewer attack die.

This means the turret doesn't do damage but instead just makes it harder to shoot your team.

Alternatively.

Once per round, when declared by an enemy as the target of an attack at range 1-2 and within your auxiliary firing arc, immediately roll 1 attack die and deal damage to the target as shown. If damage is dealt the target is considered hit.

I’m fully on board with doing a Prequels version of this game (Although….ARC-170: The Miniatures Game doesn’t quite have the same catchy ring to it :P), and I definitely think it will be done at some point (probably once we’re completely out of Galactic Civil War era ships). 

Wave 1: 

Naboo N-1 Starfighter (pilots including Ric Olie, Rhys Dallows, Porro Dolphe, Bravo Squadron Pilot, and Iron Cesta Flight Pilot)

Delta-7 Aethersprite Jedi Starfighter ( Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker….hell this could be the first ship with NO generic pilots and like twenty pilot cards with different Jedi) 

Vulture Droid Starfighter (I guess “pilots” could be unit numbers? DFS-4CT was one during the battle of Naboo, as was FS-1VR both from Wookipedia.) 

Droid Tri-Fighter (don’t have any listed units for this one, but….both this and the vulture droid open up some amazing possibilities for upgrade cards, like the Buzz Droid-carrying Discord Missiles and the possibility of Droid Brain upgrade cards for ships) 

Wave 2: 

ARC-170 Starfighter (pilots include Clone Pilots Davijaan “Oddball,”) 

V-19 Torrent Starfighter (pilots include Clone Pilots “Axe” and “Kickback”, Blue Squadron Pilot generic, etc.)

Belbullab-22 Starfighter (AKA General Grievous’ fighter….so he’d be a good pilot card choice :P

Hyena Droid Bomber

So yeah…we have tons of options for this, large ships could potentially include the Eta-Class Shuttle, the LAAT/i (or LAAT/c), HMP Droid Gunship, Sheathipede-Class Transport shuttle, etc. Even the Aurore-Class Freighter (Zygerrian Slave Ship) or the G9 Rigger Freighter (Twilight) 

Hell…there are even more options for huge ships! So many more canonical starships, including the Republic Stealth Ship (first cloaking 100 meter ship!) the Consular-Class Cruiser, or the Arquitens-Class Light Cruiser (no size given for the ship yet, but it’s got a very small crew). 

I don't think prequel ships and OT ship should mix. In some of the wookiepedia entries there is mention of technological advances during the clone war era, like between the delta-6 and Eta-2 jedi starfighters. I think it would decrease x-wing's average attack dice from 2 to 1, leaving no room for low attack ships. A starfighter during the clone wars would have to have 2 attack, and then you'd run into issues with costing the ships. The Y-Wing, Z95, HWK, ORS YT-1300, and Firespray are all examples of ships from that era and only the firespray has 3 attack dice, and thematically that would be attributed to it being the personal craft of a mercenary, and more inclined to be heavily modified, like the Named YT pilots.

Edited by Radarman5

Dat first page of kneejerking fanboys doe. XD

The acting of the prequels? Godawful

The way the story is told in the prequels? utter garbage

The essence of the story? Not bad. (aka, evil mastermind manipulating everything to topple in the perfect way to give himself absolute power and succeeding)

The battle scenes? Also not bad

The vehicle and setting designs? Actually pretty cool. You might think so too if you step back and take a good look without that little voice screaming 'PREQUELS BAD' in your ear.

The music score? Beautiful as always.

I would be interested in it, as long as they were two separate 'eras' of gameplay. I wouldn't mind blowing stuff up with one of those cool delta star fighters.

I'm calling it. Third faction: Yuuzhan Vong and their organic ships

NEED UNLIKE BUTTON

There are also the Fan Blade Fighters (Ginivex class), Trident class assault ship, Geonosion fighters (Nantex class), multiple types of droid fighters, ETA-2 and lots of huge ships.

You could also go by movie per "wave"

Delta-7 Jedi Starfighter

Naboo N-1

vs.

Vulture Droid

Sith Interceptor

wave 2

Arc 170

Nu Class Attack Shuttle

vs.

Droid Trifighter

Geonosion fighter

Wave 3

ETA-2

Vwing

Vs.

Hyena bomber

Givinex/Belabullb

Edited by Rakky Wistol

I don't think prequel ships and OT ship should mix. In some of the wookiepedia entries there is mention of technological advances during the clone war era, like between the delta-6 and Eta-2 jedi starfighters. I think it would decrease x-wing's average attack dice from 2 to 1, leaving no room for low attack ships. A starfighter during the clone wars would have to have 2 attack, and then you'd run into issues with costing the ships. The Y-Wing, Z95, HWK, ORS YT-1300, and Firespray are all examples of ships from that era and only the firespray has 3 attack dice, and thematically that would be attributed to it being the personal craft of a mercenary, and more inclined to be heavily modified, like the Named YT pilots.

Prequel ships and OT ships mix fine, for the most part (less so the droids), most GAR fleet ships were used in the transitory period between the trilogies, and some of them have been reverse-retconned into the canon as being used by either the Imperials or Rebels. The Gozanti Cruiser, for example, a fringer ship which a lot of people like, only showed up in Star Wars Episode 1 and the Clone Wars tv series, but has appeared in the comics and novels as retrofitted for the Empire to use, complete with docking tubes for TIE Fighters.