Sign in to follow this  
ExpatSmuggler

Midnight Squadron Repaints

Thank you! I didn't on the HWK, but the Z-95 was done using Citadel. The HWK was done with some old model acrylics that I had around from painting other miniatures, not sure what brand they were though. The Z-95 was done while I was away for a couple weekends and picked up some Citadel paints from the FLGS where I was to keep me entertained for a bit. Probably just gonna stick with the Citadels now for consistency.

I bought some army painter starter stuff for pretty cheap.  Seems to work as well as citadel paints. 'm looking to repaint a firespray when I get it in the mail.

Looks like a fair bit of detail visible.  Did you have to strip paint off the minis or did you just paint over the factory job with thin coats?

Did up a TIE Advanced and put the finishing touches on the HWK. Not entirely happy with the Advanced. My painters tape failed me a bit painting the horizontal stripe, so it ended up being a bit wider than I would have liked. But that's what happens when you rush to paint something so you can play a demo with it...

181st Imperial Fighter Wing TIE Advanced:

206flvb.jpg

21m6ter.jpg

Midnight Squadron HWK-290:

m9p1y9.jpg

24wfu4y.jpg

r9pd95.jpg

did you free hand the canopy rails on the Z or mask it? currently painting a 1/72 SU-24 and was just thinking what a pain it is to mask off the curved canopy. would even be more of a pain on the much much smaller Z!!  at least i would think it would be that way.. looks good BTW...  not a big fan of purple but the work is first class!! thinking about painting one of my HWKs in Russian splinter camo.. 

Edited by Swedge

did you free hand the canopy rails on the Z or mask it? currently painting a 1/72 SU-24 and was just thinking what a pain it is to mask off the curved canopy. would even be more of a pain on the much much smaller Z!!  at least i would think it would be that way.. looks good BTW...  not a big fan of purple but the work is first class!! thinking about painting one of my HWKs in Russian splinter camo.. 

I free handed them. I have developed a pretty steady hand from my painting my legions of 10mm Zulu War English and Zulu figures. It was much easier for me to do it that way rather than trying to mask it.

And thank you everyone! Still plenty more to come!

I actually did not, but that is a funny coincidence! Somewhere along the line I saw a TIE with a vertical stripe, so that was my inspiration. Maybe that image was from Attack Squadrons!

Also just from a technical standpoint, with the lined ridges on the TIE Fighter's solar panels, vertical was the easiest way to go!

The HWK looks fantastic, as do your TIEs. I know the feeling about painters tape failing, as I had the same issue on a squint.

There's something about the Headhunter that just feels...off. I don't know if it's too busy or jus a semi-rough (but not at all bad, don't get me wrong) scheme, it just doesn't seem to fit. Maybe a darker black...or fewer stripes? I dunno what, but something feels wrong, IMO.
But it's also not my ship, and if you love it, then by all means stick with it!

The HWK looks fantastic, as do your TIEs. I know the feeling about painters tape failing, as I had the same issue on a squint.

There's something about the Headhunter that just feels...off. I don't know if it's too busy or jus a semi-rough (but not at all bad, don't get me wrong) scheme, it just doesn't seem to fit. Maybe a darker black...or fewer stripes? I dunno what, but something feels wrong, IMO.

But it's also not my ship, and if you love it, then by all means stick with it!

I can definitely understand what you're saying with the Z-95. That shade of gray and the purple are just a tad too close and don't contrast each other as well as I would like. The second Z-95 is going to get a much lighter shade of gray that will be washed down with a combination of Nuln Oil and a dark purple wash to give it a different look.

I thought about doing one in black with purple trim, but I'm just too afraid that the model will lose a lot of the detail if it is all black. Maybe if I do a black with a bit of a lighter dry brush on top to bring out some of the finer details it might turn out alright.

More work done! After the terrible painters tape fiasco on the TIE Advanced, I went out and got Frog Tape which is supposed to have paint blocking chemicals mixed in with the tape adhesive to provide a more reliable tape for painting. I decided to give it a go, so I used some paint thinner to strip off the old red horizontal stripe, though that also took off a wee bit of the black from the original model paint job. A quick dry-brush of black took care of that problem though. I used the Frog Tape and it is fantastic! Does a much, much better job of maintaining a straight line on the models even with all the nooks and crannies!

I also realized that I have yet to put up any shots of the Midnight Squadron B-Wing, which was one of the first I painted up! that one I just painted on top of the existing paint scheme, just like the TIE's.

5am3ck.jpg

jjwfa8.jpg

21ah9o4.jpg

New update! Finished off a second Z-95. I made this one much lighter so I decided the first darker one is the "stealth" version...  ;)

zja26w.jpg

Did up an E-Wing with a little bit different painting scheme. Tried a light gray with washes of black and purple for a different effect:

2w4b2io.jpg

Finally finished the B-Wing! With it being one of my first repaints, I went really conservative on it to begin with. I painted up some more panels to give it an added punch:

2q2flab.jpg

Midnight Squadron:

29kqbf8.jpg

Edited by ExpatSmuggler