Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Distractionbeast

Community Errata

110 posts in this topic

Anyone has suggestions for the following cards?

Blade Mastery: +2 atk / +2 def

This event doesn't pull its cost of 1 for a measly +1/+1.

Harbor Master: Anyone has any ideas for this ally?

Harbor Master, with songs is a lot of powerfull. He is lore and can be attached burning brand on him. After, playing some songs with love of tales his defense is up to 10 points, 20, 30...

Harbor Master is ok even if he had no printed text. 1/2/0/2 is a pretty good ally. And in my deck he is always 1/2/3/2, ocassionally growing into 1/2/4+/2.

The very thought of troll-on-troll violence makes this bear shed a single, giant, honey-scented tear.

Let's organize something then, shall we? Something akin to Celebrity Deathmatch. With bets on the winner and all the other stuff.

danpoage likes this

Harbor Master, with songs is a lot of powerfull. He is lore and can be attached burning brand on him. After, playing some songs with love of tales his defense is up to 10 points, 20, 30...

How do you consistently play songs? He needs 2-3 songs in a turn to make a single defense. Ok, he is playable, but I would like if you could elaborate more that deck of yours =D

The very thought of troll-on-troll violence makes this bear shed a single, giant, honey-scented tear.

Let's organize something then, shall we? Something akin to Celebrity Deathmatch. With bets on the winner and all the other stuff.

Sure, but this FAQ is more a personal thing. Use what you like, dismiss what you don't. Of course we could really make a unofficial errata and I'm in favor of it. Since this is a non-competitive game, we run in less trouble.

Theoretically, in multiplayer, lore player can slap 3 loves of tales on each of his heroes, and then for each single song played, each Harbor Master would get +3 defense. All songs can be spread among the all players. The main problem here is that there is not that much useful songs to go around. Lay of Nimrodel, Durin's Song, Song of Earendil and probably Song of Mocking... I'll be silent about fall of Gil-Galad. 

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

Sure, but this FAQ is more a personal thing. Use what you like, dismiss what you don't. Of course we could really make a unofficial errata and I'm in favor of it. Since this is a non-competitive game, we run in less trouble.

You probably didn't get thet my post was aimed at Beorn's comment about troll vs. troll fight, not at the community errata.

Anyone has suggestions for the following cards?

Blade Mastery: +2 atk / +2 def

This event doesn't pull its cost of 1 for a measly +1/+1.

Harbor Master: Anyone has any ideas for this ally?

Blade Mastery:

reduce the cost to 0.  Behind Strong Walls gives +1 defense and a re-ready.  Feint fully stops an enemy attack. IMHO, this card doesn't really compare and hasn't made the cut for me in a long time.  Same complaint as Favor of the Lady - the effect is too small to justify a card slot.  Reducing the cost to 0 could secure it a place as a good twitch reaction card, since it wouldn't tie up resources.  

edit: reduce the cost to 0, but keep the original effect.

Harbor Master:

I don't think I'd touch this one.  It seems balanced, even though I find it's theme and usage a bit awkward.

Edited by Distractionbeast

I like this plan. The winner could be recognized in my Troll of the Week segment:

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/troll-of-the-week-the-critic/

Hmm, this is probably me being stupid, but how does the new dwarf guy (Blue Mountain Trader) let players rearrange resources as they wish? As I read him, the receiving player moves a resource to the player that sends the trader. Then, if that Trader wants to move again, whoever receives it must move a resource from their resources. So doesn't the Trader (even with 3 in play) just move resources individually between players. So if one player has, say, 10 resources, at most they can only move 1 from their pile to another player per Blue Mountain Trader in play? Since the Trader is discarded if now resources are moved, you have to essentially negate the effect to get the Trader back in position to shuttle a resource.

Sorry, that is garbled, but I'm concerned that everyone is reading something into the Trader that I can't see! The Wandering Took at least combo'ed Song of Earindel to allow a slow reduction in threat, whereas the Trader can't combo (as we've seen, the Harbour Master doesn't work).

I suppose one way to put it is:

One player is resource rich, the other plays Spirit.

Spirit player sends all three Traders over, and gains three resources.

In order to repeat the trick, the resource rich player must send the Traders back, and gain three resources in the process.

Overall, no gain to either player.

I can see that in specific circumstances the ability to shunt a resource over temporarily is useful, but I feel like the hyperbole that's being spoken about Blue Mountain Trader somehow allowing free reorganisation of resources is a bit OTT. He's not much better than some old resource moving effects. Frankly, Errand Rider is quite a bit better in many ways (cheaper, fits the sphere for most resource gaining effects, simple to use, very repeatable).

OK, that was a long post. Sorry!

It just make bi and tri -sphere deck much more manageable around the table with just one. Seems no that powerfull, yes, but there is some deck that can abuse this, because it is not limited. Sure, you'll need at least one ressource, but to make the comparison, is like having an inifnite A Good Harvest. There is also a lot of way you get more powerful by gathering ressource on only one Hero.

So if you don't deckbuild around him, he is like the best song (sphere giver) ever, and if you deckbuild around him, he is one of the best card enabler for certain cards, and while some need a little boost like that, some might just go overpowered.

Here is situation for you:

Player 1 has Boromirt(Tactics), Theodred(Leadershit) and Denethor(Lore). Player 2 has Eowyn and 2 other Spirit heroes.

First turn, each hero generates 1 resource.

Player 2 plays Trader for 2 resources.

Player 1 has, lets say, wants to play Ithilien Archer, which is a 3 cost Lore card. He can't because he has only 1 Lore resource. 

Here is what happens:

Player 2 activates Trader, resource is moved from Boromir to Eowyn.

Player 1 activates Trader, resource is moved from Eowyn to Denethor.

Player 2 activates Trader, resource is moved from Theodred to Eowyn.

Player 1 now has 3 Lore resources on Denethor and plays Ithilien Archer.

What were you saying about Errand Rider being better?

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

Here is situation for you:

Player 1 has Boromirt(Tactics), Theodred(Leadershit) and Denethor(Lore). Player 2 has Eowyn and 2 other Spirit heroes.

First turn, each hero generates 1 resource.

Player 2 plays Trader for 2 resources.

Player 1 has, lets say, wants to play Ithilien Archer, which is a 3 cost Lore card. He can't because he has only 1 Lore resource. 

Here is what happens:

Player 2 activates Trader, resource is moved from Boromir to Eowyn.

Player 2 activates Trader, resource is moved from Theodred to Eowyn.

Player 1 now has 3 Lore resources on Denethor and plays Ithilien Archer.

What were you saying about Errand Rider being better?

You're quite right, in this situation it's a powerful card, and I hadn't formulated the play like that. But I should say that I wasn't competing for points or anything with regard to Errand Rider, I genuinely didn't really see the power of the Trader. I can see how he works a bit more now, which is helpful - there is still a degree of hyperbole about his power, since overall one Trader can only move 1 resource between players, but it's much more clear how he allows re-organisation within each individual player's characters. Perhaps some change is needed, and certainly a requirement to exhaust is the obvious one. Food for thought then.

The only actual errata we have seen makes cards weaker not stronger so there are only a couple cards that I think are too powerful and their errata should be:

Glorfindel (Spirit) Raise your threat by 1 after Glorfindel commits to a quest.  He would still be powerful but not ridiculous with LoV

Dain Ironfoot should only give his boost to dwarves under your control. giving it to all dwarves in multiplayer is outrageous

Lure of Moria should cost 4 since its super close to Grim Resolve if you're playing all dwarves and seems way OP at 3 cost

Unexpected Courage should be limit one per deck because its such a superior readying ability

Steward of Gondor needs to cost at least 3 or even 4 because its such a huge resource engine at only 2 cost

Outlands characters could be fixed in many ways one being they only give each other outlands character a bonus and not themself or.. instead of being a passive ability they have to exhaust to give outlands characters the stat bonus.

Now as many people have already done.. there are many cards that are weak and could easily be made useful again. I don't like having useless cards, its sad.. Someone posted a topic about this a while back so I'll just paste all my suggestions..

Bilbo Lore should obviously be less threat

Radagast should cost less, 4 would be better

Glorfindel Lore should heal 2 damage with one resource

Silverlode Archer- the Ithilien Archer has an extra defense, hit point AND ability for same cost.. wtf.. SA should have 3 attack

Beorning Beekeeper- an extra attack point or ability dealing damage to all enemies in play not just staging area

Ride to Ruin- should cost 0, you're discarding an ally!

We Do Not Sleep- the  worst readying ability event, for the same cost you can ready all characters! (Grim Resolve) or all Dwarves for only 3... And We Do Not Sleep is only good for "readying" after questing so it should only cost 4 max

Dawn Take You All should discard all shadow cards (from at least one player), it's a one time event and the dawn covers ALL darkness

Taking Initiative should discard the top two cards (maybe even add their value together) to increase this cards chance of working

Keeping Count should add: Response- after Keeping Count enters play search your deck for another Keeping Count. Limit 2 Keeping Count's allowed in play. 

Ravenhill Scout- he sucks and should only cost 2

Dunedain Wanderer should cost 4 and have Secrecy 2

The End Comes- this card shouldn't exist.. lol

Grave Cairn- who uses this? a character has just died, how much attack can they really have? this card should cost 0

Watcher of the Bruinen- since when is a 2 defense 2 hit point ally good for anything!? give him an extra hit point or defense

Short Cut- you're exhausting a Hobbit and paying one to replace an encounter card? you should be able to choose a location at any time

Out of Sight is too expensive, make it 4 cost Secrecy 2 and maybe allow you to choose a player (most of the Secrecy cards are overpriced and shouldn't be)

Late Adventurer- this is only if you suck at planning who to quest with, give that character an extra willpower and this card might enter decks

Wealth of Gondor/Gaining Strength- worth a card slot for only one resource? I sometimes use these but I feel they need a little more, add a card draw for Wealth and make it a net gain of 2 resources for Gaining Strength

Damrod- is his ability and stats worth that cost? how about an extra defense

Master of Lore- should not have been errata'd

Mirlonde should be printed Lore AND Silvan heroes get her discount because at max all her ability does is give you 3 less starting threat, she should also be one less starting threat herself, why not?

Pippin Spirit should not be limited to having all Hobbit heroes and his ability should only raise your threat by 2

Denethor Leadership ally should get -1 Willpower for each hero with 2 or more damage

Faramir Lore hero should have an extra ability or something that boosts his fellow faithful rangers (If Faramir has X attack, all Ranger characters you control get ????)

Caldara- her ability is to DISCARD her, give her less starting threat, 7 or even 6 and if the allies she could put into play weren't limited to Spirit.. then she would be powerful

Theoden- another hero from this cycle suffering with a poor ability, he should also have "Theoden can pay for Rohan allies from any sphere" he's the King of Rohan!! come on!

Forth Eorlingas! why be limited to Rohan heroes, make it Rohan characters, there's hardly anyone left in the staging area after engagement anyways or just make it 1 cost

Steed of the Mark is only worth it if attached hero has 3 or more willpower (so it may get better when those heroes come), why does it have to cost? just exhaust it for it's ability

Fatty Bolger- 6 starting threat since his ability raises threat and he's not that great anyways

I wonder if some of these cards were actually play-tested because they can be so weak and you handicap yourself if you play with them. Most of these fixes would have been real easy if they played with them or just thought.. hmm there's already a card that readies everyone for 5 and we're making a card specific for Rohan and limited to questing, it should only cost 4 or 3. Or MIrlonde seriously her ability could at max lower your starting threat by 3.. thats not doing much.. ugh it's just so disappointing to have such weak cards because then I never want to play them... but some I love the art or person and play anyways  ;)
SilvanBouncer and PsychoRocka like this

You have displayed the cards that are not easy to play in a normal deck. But the 95% of them i have seen them in special decks and they run very good.

being perfectly honest i was holding off posting in this thread, mainly because i disagree with the very idea of errata unless its 100% needed (as in a broken card)

personally i would rather have 20 or so cards that are pretty awful generally but work well in theme or specific decks (or even decks that are weak on purpose to give a challenge on older quests if you dont have nightmare packs), than have 20 cards that dont work the way the text is printed on them... it just feels like you have a half-completed product