Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Distractionbeast

Community Errata

110 posts in this topic

With all the recent talk of errata and the (friendly) trashing of some cards (Glorfindel *ahem*), I thought I'd just start a new topic and let everybody get it all out. 

What cards would you errata or modify and how?  Feel free to discuss why, but I'd rather get a constructive collection of ideas instead of a series of rants.

Glorfindel (Spirit)

change his ability to: 

Forced: After Glorfindel exhausts, raise your threat by 1.

He would still be the king of secrecy heroes, but LoV no longer makes him unstoppable.  His stats and his traits still make him extremely viable IMO.

DurinIII and danpoage like this

Not sure what it could lead to, but if you launch this project, make sure to note why cards should be errated then compile all the topic about this subject, there quite a few on this forum only.

Not sure what it could lead to, but if you launch this project, make sure to note why cards should be errated then compile all the topic about this subject, there quite a few on this forum only.

It's not a project.  I just thought I'd make a separate thread for people to vent and perhaps get some interesting ideas in the process.

DurinIII likes this

explanation:  

power in the earth:  my personal nominee for least useful card in the set.  Increasing its cost and its effect would make it comparable to the situationally useful Secret Paths, while making it distinct in its usage.  

Blue Mountain Trader:  as printed, its effect can be used any number of times instantly, allowing players to more or less rearrange their entire resource pool at will.  I have trouble believing this was the intent.  Putting an exhaust requirement on the card puts a practical but not invincible limit on the effect.  The ally is viable enough already due to its cost and Dwarf trait.

Favor of the Lady:

Cost: 0

Attach to a hero.

Action: Spend 1 resource from attached hero's resource pool and exhaust Favor of the Lady to give attached hero +2 (will) until the end of the phase.

Increased willpower bonus with ongoing cost to allow the card to be worth including.  It's closest competition I think is from Dunedain Quest and Celebrian Stone.  My question is whether or not a single point of willpower is worth a card slot, regardless of cost.  This is my solution.  

I'd lower the cost to play Radagast from 5 to 3, and make all upcoming ents Creatures. Though it seems Treebeard will be for ents what Radagast is (supposed to be) for eagles.

Hirluin the Fair

remove his ability to pay for outland allies of any sphere.

He is already the recipient of the the outlands bonuses, which lets his stats quickly exceed his threat, plus his ranged ability in leadership.  With his sphere-bending ability, there is almost no reason for all outlands allies not to be included by default, which turns any deck he's in into an outlands deck.  Without the ability, he's still extremely viable and the player must be more creative when constructing outlands decks in order to pay for them.

Will of the West:

Add "Victory: 1"

This would do nothing on it's own. It needs an instruction to add it to victory display when played, and for this you don't need any victory points on the card actually.

Page 24 of the rules actually says that when a card with victory points leaves play, it is added to the victory display. Player cards like Black Arrow specifically mention to add the card to the victory display as part of the cost of triggering the effect, but this is not technically required for the "has Victory points" passive effect to function. This is why enemies and locations with Victory: X "just work" and do not require further text about where to put them when they leave play.

My intent was to change the card as little as possible. The effect of Will of the West could also be changed to:

"Action: Add Will of the West to the victory display to choose a player. Shuffle the chosen player's discard pile into their deck."

This is functionally equivalent to my change of adding 1 victory point, it is just more explicit about Will of the West not going to the discard pile. As much as I enjoy nitpicking rules minutiae, I think the intent was pretty clear with my original post.

Edited by danpoage

Favor of the Lady:

Attach to a hero.

Action: Spend 1 resource from attached hero's resource pool and exhaust Favor of the Lady to give attached hero +2 (will) until the end of the phase.

Increased willpower bonus with ongoing cost to allow the card to be worth including.  It's closest competition I think is from Dunedain Quest and Celebrian Stone.  My question is whether or not a single point of willpower is worth a card slot, regardless of cost.  This is my solution.  

Usually the willpower faction is more expensive than defense or attack faction. For example, allies. The allies with more wp are more expensive than allies with more defense or attack. So the attachments are the same: for example, the dunedain attachments. 1 defense costs 1 resource; 1 attack point costs 1 resource; and 1 willpower costs 2 resources.

So Favour of the Lady is correct.

Nerdmeister likes this

Favor of the Lady:

Attach to a hero.

Usually the willpower faction is more expensive than defense or attack faction. For example, allies. The allies with more wp are more expensive than allies with more defense or attack. So the attachments are the same: for example, the dunedain attachments. 1 defense costs 1 resource; 1 attack point costs 1 resource; and 1 willpower costs 2 resources.

So Favour of the Lady is correct.

I agree that it is correct and consistent.  My concern, as I stated, was whether it is worth a card slot to use a card with a single point of willpower.  Thus, I attempted to increase the bonus and up the cost in a particular way.  If you don't agree that it's necessary, that's fine.  :) 

If you like the card as printed, I'd be very curious about how many times it gets included in decks.  I, for one, have never considered it.  

No disrespect intended by my answer.  :)

Favor of the Lady is particularly mediocre when you compare it to Unexpected Courage for the same cost. Granted, Unexpected Courage only has 1 copy in the Core Set, but "rarity" is not supposed to be a design factor in LCGs.

To be honest, I don't think that I would use your revised version of this card either. However, I definitely agree that the card as-is lacks a compelling reason to be included in any deck. Even if it only cost 1, which would be too low from a balance standpoint, I would rather include Westfold Horse-breeder or Silvan Refugee for the same cost. Chump blockers are just more useful than attachments (with basically equivalent value) in 9 of 10 situations. The fact that Spirit has cards like Unexpected Courage, Arwen, and a host of excellent Rohan allies, all at 2 cost, just dooms this card to mediocrity. Heck even Stand and Fight is much better than this card, in the sense that you can get an additional use of a 1 or 2 cost ally, as an action.

Edited by danpoage

From Rulebook:

Some enemy and location cards award victory points
when they are defeated. When such a card leaves play,
one player should place it near his threat dial to remind
the players of the victory points when they are scoring
at the end of the game. It is recommended that one
player collects all the victory cards the players earn
during the scenario, as victory points are applied to the
score of the entire group.

It specifies only enemies and locations. That's why each player card must contain text that it's being added to the victory display.

This is just me, maybe, but I wouldn't errata cards to make them more powerful, only less.

Blue mountain trader should legitimately be once per round, so that players can't just rearrange all their resources at will.

But I don't see anything wrong with Favor of the Lady. It's a bit of a weak card, because 1 card + 2 resources (especially in Spirit!) for 1 willpower is not very efficient. Though it's less fragile than allies in most scenarios, which makes it a little better than you might expect.

Regardless, I think that's an example of a kind of card that must exist in a game like this: a sub-optimal card.

Imagine another game like LOTR:LCG, where each card adds pretty linearly to the power of things you have in play. (Outlands doesn't work like that, but playing one more dwarf doesn't exponentially increase the power of your other dwarves. Same with just about everything that isn't Outlands.) The more similar the cards are in power level and cost, the less it matters what cards you pick for your decks. You could just throw in anything, and do about as well as someone who really knows the game and puts a lot of thought into their choices.

But when the cards vary in power level, picking the best cards for your deck is an important skill that differentiates better players from worse.

And then you can consider that the power level of cards varies with the different quests. Willpower boosts are more valuable in quests that use the stat for more than just questing. And, of course, they're entirely worthless if you're just going to be doing Siege/Battle.

Ohnomycocoa likes this

I would make Favor of the Lady something like this:

Spirit Attachment

Cost: 2

Condition.

Attach to a hero.

Limit 1 per hero(?).

Attached hero gets +1 Willpower. (+2 Willpower instead if he is the only questing hero you control.)

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo
ZanzibarLand likes this