Sign in to follow this  
Mordjinn

Help me out with my character background - Force sensitive ex-noble

Hi everybody.

I'm creating a character to play Edge of the Empire and have a concept which is approved by the GM and other players. The problem is that I don't have deep enough knowledge of the universe to flesh him out.

The basic idea is that my character is a young human male, approx. 25 years of age. He is from a noble family and was found force sensitive at young age, a secret which his parents held on tightly.

Now from here on there are two choices:

1. He is a rightful heir for the family fortune and after his parents (accidental?) death his ambitious sister (or brother) betrayed his secret to the imperials and forced him into exile. Now the sister wants him dead to make sure he doesn't appear to claim his rightful share of the family fortune.

2. The family was betrayed by another noble family in order to gain their riches / place near the throne. The parents were able to send the boy away before the imperium came, but were killed (or at least want to make him think they are dead to keep him safely far away in the Outer Rim).

The biggest question is which planet has human nobles and these kind of noble family wars?

I like the option 1. because it makes the character hunted. But then again with option 2. noble family wars might offer interesting plot hooks, maybe even create a long term goal of revenge.

What do you think? Where could this guy be from? Can you come up with even more twists and turns?

The plan now is that he's working currently as a freelancer for Rebels and using his negotiation skills for arms trading. He also tries to find other force sensitive people to help them out.

Thanks for anything and everything you come up with. It will really help me out fleshing this fellow out.

Before it was blown up, Alderaan often had house wars.

Beyond that, The Darth Plaguis book expanded Naboo quite a bit and we find out that nobility played a large role in their society.

Also, Eriadu is an Outer Rim planet and in the Legends "canon", it was the birth place of the Tarkins. So naturally you have some potential for house warfare there.

You could involve a bit of history, considering that the Force tends to run in families.  Your PC could be from Serenno, where Dooku was from.  He was a wealthy Count, doubtless he had several relations.  Perhaps your PC's parents, seeing what happened to Dooku, kept his Force abilities hidden for fear of reprisals by Palpatine/Sidious.  Maybe your PC is a cousin (a couple times removed).  This opens up a lot of potential for the PC having oddball bits of knowledge and resources.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dooku

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Serenno

Edited by whafrog

Your ideas remind me of the Tapani nobles. Check it out here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tapani_Noble_Houses

There's a pretty rich history of intrigue in the Tapani sector. House Pelagia had strong ties to the Jedi Order, and were included in the purge following Order 66. House Mecetti has ancient historical ties to the Sith and the Mecrosa Order of assassins, and are pretty pro-Empire. 

Personally, I like the Hapes cluster. There are 63 worlds to pick from and with the exception of a few characters in Legacy EU, very little is known about the place other than the fact there is some in-fighting among nobles families.

It gives you somewhere to draw from if you want, but there's a lot of rooom to create your own stuff.

Thank you for the Tapani reference, awayputurwpn! I was going to suggest this if someone hadn't. It would be worth hunting down the sourcebooks for the Lords of the Expanse from West End Games. I think that has all the intrigue and political power plays you could ask for.

As far as twists and turns...well, why not combine both origins? Your character is the rightful heir to the family fortune, his parents were betrayed by another noble family with the help of the ambitious sibling who leaked the information to a rival house. This led to the rival house working with the Imperials to take over the house and install the ambitious sibling as the puppet head of the house who really answers the head of the rival house. The parents may or may not be dead, but your noble is on the run, looking to either let the ambitious sibling know he's alive (because he doesn't know he/she engineered the takeover of the house) or take down the ambitious sibling and reclaim his house. This would pretty much necessitate taking the full amount of Obligation to simulate the betrayal your character has suffered, get a decent motivation related to taking back your PCs noble house, and then start to wheel and deal in obligation. Go into debt, collect favors, pay off favors with debt or more favors, and try to balance out getting enough resources to take back your house versus having to pay back the seedy types your GM will undoubtedly make you ally with. ;)

Your ideas remind me of the Tapani nobles. Check it out here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tapani_Noble_Houses

There's a pretty rich history of intrigue in the Tapani sector. House Pelagia had strong ties to the Jedi Order, and were included in the purge following Order 66. House Mecetti has ancient historical ties to the Sith and the Mecrosa Order of assassins, and are pretty pro-Empire.