Sign in to follow this  
Guest Not In Sample

I hope Innsmouth is the last expansion

Guest Not In Sample

And not just board expansion. The last expansion, period.

Don't get me wrong I love this game. But too much of a good thing isn't always good... I think that 3 small box and 3 big box expansions are quite enough, wouldn't you say? And then there's the part of dilution. Getting more expansions like DP, BG, KY is great, really, but they would dilute the already-diluted game. With Innsmouth, we are now on the brink of over dilution. With all expansions including Innsmouth the situation isn't that bad, but one more expansion would be final straw. So yeah, I'm a huge fun of this game, defintely my most favorite board game of all time, but every good thing must come to an end. Only expansion I want to see, yet I doubt they will ever happen, are fixed boosters to enchance current expansions, for example: A pack of 20 mythos cards that open gates in Dunwich/Innsmouth; or a pack of 20 gate cards with encounters of Another Time+Lost Carcosa/Underworld+Unknown Kadath; or a pack of 10 "netx act" cards+location encounters in expansion boards; or 10 exhibit items+location encounters in expansion boards. The possibilities of un-dilution are endless. Other than such expansions, which sadly won't happen, I don't really want to see any more expansions. And don't give me the "no one is forcing you to buy expansions" speech. As I said I'm a huge fun of this game and if there's an expansion out there I would be obliged to buy it or else I would feel I'm missing something. Do anyone agrees with me on this matter?

In a shocking twist, I agree completely!

There's already so much content for this game that if you try to use it all at once, the game groans and collapses under the weight (or that's how it seems to me, although obviously some people aren't bothered by it). I can't imagine that Innsmouth is going to solve this problem, although it may not make it worse either.

Small add-ons that tweak and fix are unlikely though. What's needed next is a NEW EDITION of the base game. Clean up the monster movement rules, rebalance spells, make the Terror level more of a threat, tighten up the game board so that there are no 'dead' locations, have fewer Other Worlds but make them more distinct from each other... lots of little things but it could make a huge difference.

Guest Not In Sample

I guess rich people won't mind a new edition, but people like me who have spent every last dime on the game plus its expansions won't be happy to see a new edition....

I would like a small box expansion that unifies all the previous expansions more - not too keen on the "booster" idea.

A set of Mythos cards that make Dunwhich and Innsmouth have a decent amount of gate openings when every Mythos card is used together, some Heralds that utilise mechanics from outside their set, some Location Encounter cards for the smaller towns that refer to other smaller towns, etc.

I think using everything together would be a great deal of fun but it needs a unifying expansion set to get it to work properly.

I think it's funny seeing two people who have links to custom expansions in their signitures saying they hope there aren't any more expansions. And I don't understand the reasoning, either. If you feel the game is too diluted with all the expansions, maybe you shouldn't use all the expansions at the same time. It's just a thought.

I never play with more than one small box and one big box, at least as far as mythos cards, other world encounters, and expansion boards go. I like to use all the allies and items, though. I find that the mythos and other world decks are too thick as it is that way; I can't imagine actually having them all in. 

Stenun said:

I would like a small box expansion that unifies all the previous expansions more - not too keen on the "booster" idea.

A set of Mythos cards that make Dunwhich and Innsmouth have a decent amount of gate openings when every Mythos card is used together, some Heralds that utilise mechanics from outside their set, some Location Encounter cards for the smaller towns that refer to other smaller towns, etc.

I think using everything together would be a great deal of fun but it needs a unifying expansion set to get it to work properly.

This has been suggested so frequently that I wouldn't be surprised to see it published next year sometime.

I honestly wouldn't mind small expansions ad infinitum. I love new items and new mechanics, and the "dilution" problem isn't really a problem: danger is danger, no matter what form it takes. A unifying expansion would be boss too. But we don't need any additional boards. Seems silly to have more space taken up by expansion boards than the base game's board. Besides, what other popular New England locales are there in the mythos?

Any new boards would have to be "instead of" boards, if you get what I mean. Not that I necessarily want to have to leave components out of my Arkham game.

babeo.gif

kroen said:

I guess rich people won't mind a new edition, but people like me who have spent every last dime on the game plus its expansions won't be happy to see a new edition....

A new edition wouldn't have any effect on you if you don't want any more official expansions. All it would mean is that the official support for this edition would stop.

I wouldn't mind more Small Boxes, myself. They could even 'fight' the dilution of places like Dunwich (And probably Innsmouth) by including mythos cards for those locations.

Caduceus said:

I think it's funny seeing two people who have links to custom expansions in their signitures saying they hope there aren't any more expansion

Heh heh. Ok, you've got us there. :)

A sort of unifying booster thing would nice, but I think it's quite unlikely to happen - it would have less appeal for casual gamers than a proper expansion, and be a more fan-oriented product all round.

I suppose they could do a halfway-to-new edition, a sort of Revised Edition like they've done with Talisman.

Guest Not In Sample

All they really need to do is to make a board with all the expansions boards attached to it with no dead spaces, making it much smaller, not to mention it'll be cool to have a board with everything on it :) Even people without Kingsport for exapmple could use that board; they simply couldn't go there.

pittplayer said:

ummm, if you dont want new expansions then dont BUY them!! but let us if we want to buy new ones be able too.

All of us Arkham vets are worried about there being more stuff, but with less creativity. If there continues to be more expansions and they're really innovative and good, throw them at me. But in regards to board expansions, I think they're done making any more meaningful ones. Any further expansions should probably be in the "small box" realm.

My view on the expansions has always been that you should only play with one and occationally two at a time. The dillution problem is only really a problem if you play with everything at one. One fun thing that I like doing is playing with only the cards from Dunwich and Kingsport and a few nessesary others (like elder signs) to make it so that things are happening everywhere. I also play with only CotDP and KiY to make the dangers even more painful.

I like all of the expansions because it keeps giving options as to how I can play this awesome game.

I don't necessarily want the expansions to stop, but I'm not sure how much more steam they have left.  I mean, Dunwich, Kingsport and Innsmouth are the only three major cities I know of from the Mythos (aside form Arkham of course =P)  Granted I'm not the most fully-read person when it comes to Mythos stories, but I think I've read most of the "essentials" from HPL himself.   (I haven't read anything by other authors, I'm sort of a purist that way.)  My point is I don't think the Mythos has that much more to offer, at least for big boxes.  Small box expansions could probably go on forever.

In response to the concern of the game being too diluted, I can only echo what others have already said: don't play with everything at once!  I find this increases replayability since it means there's usually at least one new terror running around each time we play.  (I admit AH is not the most popular game at our table, but it's always been fun when it does get pulled out.)  Also, the base game has more than enough decks of cards and fiddly bits to keep track of, IMHO.  Adding one or two expansions to a sitting is managebale, but putting everything together is a logistics nightmare!

I suppose I wouldn't protest another board expansion (as I am designing my own) but I would play with no more than three extra towns at once (depending on how adding Innsmouth goes over, may just stick to two).

However I wish to see the small box expansions keep coming. I enjoy the "old one specific" style they offer. If they keep making 'em, I'll probably keep buying 'em...unless a severe drop in creativity happens. Which could...but so far, so good.

Yeah but I want an elegant solution for players who do use all the expansions at once; I certainly like to. It saves setup time because I don't have to sort out anything, I never know which threat is going to be the greatest, and I get to use all my money's worth. All-expansion games are kickass, regardless of the dilution issues. A simple fix for the dilution would just be nice. 11 more Next Act cards is all I truly need :-P

Tibs said:

Yeah but I want an elegant solution for players who do use all the expansions at once; I certainly like to. It saves setup time because I don't have to sort out anything, I never know which threat is going to be the greatest, and I get to use all my money's worth. All-expansion games are kickass, regardless of the dilution issues. A simple fix for the dilution would just be nice. 11 more Next Act cards is all I truly need :-P

Normally I agree with you completly. I just am not sure how many boards I want to be running around. All card expansions are usually in, unless I am running something incredibly specific...and so far I use all boards. Just 3 extra may be pushing it.

Don't talk about Next Act cards so lightly...lost a bad game using all expansions to them. Next person who says "What are the chances of us getting another one?" is getting fed to the Dhole.

I still hope there will be new expansions to make this game even greater. Concerning new scenarios and location we have enough but some parts of the game still need improvement.

What I want is a small box containing a few set of cards that have the same effect like injury/madness did way back..   I am talking about "new" features that overwrite old rules that isn't that great anymore. What excacly is perhaps something we can discuss in another thread but just like injury/madness and Final-Combat cards there is still room for other parts of the game without changing the core too much...

It is quite possible that I will not buy any more expansions. I have already bought Dunwich and Black Goat of the Woods and I don't even use BGotW-expansion! I think the Injury and Madness cards were actually only thing that the vanilla game needed.

I don't care if they make more expansions. However, I would rather see a deluxe version which combines all the good sides of every expansion in the same box. I know they won't make it but it would be great. 

Phibby said:

Don't talk about Next Act cards so lightly...lost a bad game using all expansions to them. Next person who says "What are the chances of us getting another one?" is getting fed to the Dhole.

The problem here isn't like the Dunwich board, where it can (and does) surprise us. The problem is exactly what you said: what are the chances of getting another one? That's really important when weighing your options to whether you should cancel the card or not. As it is, you'd be crazy to cancel the first card: that's two doom tokens that'll shoot you in the foot. But on a very rare occasion you will get all three Acts and the game will be over. The element of risk and weighing options isn't there like it was with just King in Yellow.

As far as new boards, I think they have about hit the limit. But small expansions...I'd like to see a few more. Specifically, they could design some around the old Call of Cthulhu RPG mega-campaigns. Or at least a couple for the other major Old Ones, like Yog Sothoth, Azathoth and Cthulhu itself.

Thanks,

James

I enjoy the small expansions a lot. I feel like playing CotDP with Nyarlathotep, the Dark Pharoah Herald, the base game, and the expansion is a very pleasant and thematic game. Same goes with BGoTW, Shubb, and the Herald or Hastur, KiY, and the Herald. When it comes to the big expansions, things like investigators, GOOs, and monsters are indispensible. No matter what combination of expansions I play I (almost) always use all the investigators, items, spells, and other investigator cards. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that its possible to have good thematic games, you just have to use the cards in the write manner. While most of the games I play are all the expansions combined, sometimes we don't want to do that.

I really like scenarios. They provide stucture to games that had gotten pretty boring. My group would get together say "so, who do we wanna fight today" and it was rather routine. But my group gets excited about scenarios as they are more difficult and are more exciting for us. They help provide atmosphere, sometimes introduce interesting rules, and are FREE! Thats the best part.

I wouldn't be opposed to more small box expansions. I wouldn't mind seeing more focused on specific gods. That'd be cool. As far as board expansions, I can't really see where you could add more to the base game without introducing drastically different locations or mechanics. As it is the game is rather unweildy and with Arkham and three board expansions, it just becomes difficult to find the space to play.

I agree pretty much with the above post.

In the future I would like to see:

0 big expansions

small expansions

AT LEAST ONE unifying expansion with like 10 to 12 Next Act cards and a bunch of Dunwich and Innsmouth gate locations. Maybe... five Next Act cards, each with a different Dunwich gate location and five or six Innsmouth cards with Innsmouth gate locations! HOW AWESOME would that be?

Also I think the Ancient One and Investigator sheets are just slightly too large to fit in the small boxes, so I don't know if we can ever see more without more Big-Box expansions :'(

Crap, just noticed IH will have 36 Arkham location cards (so +4 per neighborhood). Having sleeved my cards from day 1, that will present problems. Mainly because, even though all my sleeves have been the exact same make/model/etc. the newer ones definately are thinner than the earlier ones I've bought. Plus, getting the sizes to mix just right could be a problem. 36 Mythos as well. 16 Gate cards, those I can easily scrounge up from the previously sleeved cards.

Guest Not In Sample

Tibs said:

I agree pretty much with the above post.

In the future I would like to see:

0 big expansions

small expansions

AT LEAST ONE unifying expansion with like 10 to 12 Next Act cards and a bunch of Dunwich and Innsmouth gate locations. Maybe... five Next Act cards, each with a different Dunwich gate location and five or six Innsmouth cards with Innsmouth gate locations! HOW AWESOME would that be?

Also I think the Ancient One and Investigator sheets are just slightly too large to fit in the small boxes, so I don't know if we can ever see more without more Big-Box expansions :'(

****, man, 48 investigators and 24 Ancient Ones aren't enough? (not ot mention 6 heralds and 3 guardians)