Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cunir

If you could invent just one card...

57 posts in this topic

I'd love a Gondor hero with 2 Wp and a low threat (7-8). Caldara doesn't really work, since here ability is designed for mono sphere. With a resource sharing or card draw ability, this might be enough to make gondor viable.

I'd love a Gondor hero with 2 Wp and a low threat (7-8). Caldara doesn't really work, since here ability is designed for mono sphere. With a resource sharing or card draw ability, this might be enough to make gondor viable.

Yup, that and one or two Leadership Gondor allies with strength more than 2 will make Gondor viable as a solo deck IMO.

Make Gondor viable? What? Gondor is pretty viable as it is, and it keeps getting reinforcements.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

Pretty much every good Gondor card in the Against the Shadow cycle went instead to mono-sphere, and that's why I think it never got the boost it needed. Knight of Minas Tirith? I'd totally have that in my Leadership-Tactics deck with Beregond or whatever. Nope, it's a monosphere card. White Tower Watchman? Mono-sphere. And many more. Not to mention no hero in the cycle with Gondor synergy beyond having the trait. And again not to mention the insanity of Outlands. Anyway, I think Gondor had been given little support, apart from a couple powerful cards like Visionary Leadership, but it feels so incomplete right now  You could say that they expanded on the Ithilien rangers which is true, but I'm talking about the Leadership "generic" Gondor trait. With so many crappy allies like the Pelargir guys and squires and custodians, I don't feel satisfied.

You don't need mono tactics to have Knight of Minas Tirith. It's a powerful 3 attack ally, 4 attack with Boromir. Tower Watchman has a pretty good stat block for his cost, and he's neutral, meaning you can pay for him as long as you have enough of whatever resources. He's a decent defender, and can become even better with Gondorian Discipline. Pelargir Captain, Pelargir chick and original Gondorian Watchman from core set become beasts with Boromir and Visionary Leadership, each with 2 willpower and 2 attack. Custodian is good just because his printed cost is big while his actual cost can be zero, meaning you can play couple of those and then safely deploy two costy allies literally with no effort. 

I've never been able to play the Custodian for zero or even 1, but then again I haven't tried it many times. While they can become good I agree, especially the Envoy of Pelargir for her cost, thei're still pretty boring allies. I would expect from Leadership Gondor some cool knights, archers, lancers, not ship captains. And the reason they're not that good, but merely decent, is that compared to how they could be done now they are pretty basic. Recent allies have been much more powerful than the 1wp 1attack core set ally.

The main problem with solo thematic Gondor is that none of the Gondor heroes have higher than 2 willpower, with more than half having only 1 or even 0. The starting willpower of your heroes is such a key part of solo play that you can get away with this low potential against some quests, but the more difficult or quicker paced ones will punish you.

danpoage likes this

You don't need to have a full set of Gondor heroes, take just the ones who provide needed synergy, and fill remaining slots with what you need. 

You don't need to have a full set of Gondor heroes, take just the ones who provide needed synergy, and fill remaining slots with what you need. 

Of course, but I believe that Gizlivadi is talking about a "thematic" Gondor deck, where each hero would have the Gondor trait. 

Purely thematic decks suck by nature, mostly. If you want purely thematic deck to work - play easy mode.

And I still can't see what non-thematic will be in a deck, dedicated to Gondor but with less than 3 Gondor heroes. Peoples of Middle Earth helped each other.

You can take Aragorn, Boromir and Beregond. It's really high starting threat, but you fight easily and with sword that was broken and visionary leadership I managed to quest for 50 (in multiplayer, another player lowered my threat)

Purely thematic decks suck by nature, mostly. If you want purely thematic deck to work - play easy mode.

And I still can't see what non-thematic will be in a deck, dedicated to Gondor but with less than 3 Gondor heroes. Peoples of Middle Earth helped each other.

I see your point, but I'd still love to be able to make Gondor heavy work without using Hobbits that should only show up there several years later, or a certain overused Elf. The issue is really the lack of heroes with good willpower to threat ratio to survive those crucial first couple turns in solo play.

Also, do thematic decks really suck? Dwarves and Outlands can be thematic and strong, Rohan is pretty decent, Elves have some builds and will only get better with the Silvan cards. Even Hobbits can work to a degree. But I guess Gondor will get another boost late in the Sagas.

Raven1015 likes this

You can take Aragorn, Boromir and Beregond. It's really high starting threat, but you fight easily and with sword that was broken and visionary leadership I managed to quest for 50 (in multiplayer, another player lowered my threat)

Which Boromir? I tried a mono Leadership deck with the same heroes except I had Sam instead of Beregond. Had Faramir ally too, so it got question down pretty hardcore.

My suggestion:

Epic End

Type: Event Sphere: Tactics

Cost: 1

Response: Choose a hero just killed. Ready hero. At the end of the round, discard hero. If the hero has the printed tactics resorce icon, discard hero at the of next round instead.

Hero is instantly killed if dealt any damage.

’Farewell, Aragorn! Go to Minas Tirith and save my people! I have failed.’ Boromir

My suggestion:

Epic End

Response: Choose a hero just killed. Ready hero. At the end of the round, discard hero. If the hero has the printed tactics resorce icon, discard hero at the of next round instead.

’Farewell, Aragorn! Go to Minas Tirith and save my people! I have failed.’ Boromir

Well, maybe but I want be able to have a more movie like game sometimes. I feel cards like this makes it possible. Some more constructive feedback?

My suggestion:

Epic End

Response: Choose a hero just killed. Ready hero. At the end of the round, discard hero. If the hero has the printed tactics resource icon, discard hero at the of next round instead.

Good idea.

It could run well with Sneak-attack + Landroval in refresh phase. ^^

But maybe too overpowered with Boromir tactics and Caldara. If they die, you can use this card and after use their abilities.

Well, up until now I always wanted some sort of armour attachment that gives Sentinel plus a boost to either defense or hitpoints and I wanted it to be usable on Elrohir and Elrond.

Elven Mail just got revealed so now I need to think of something else that would fit in and compliment my decks perfectly!

I'd love a card like this:

Sword throw. 0 cost tactics event. Discard an attached weapon to deal two damage to an enemy engaged with another player.

An action inspired by the movies maybe, but I think it fits well for the card game as a last resort to save another player.

Fun ideas here and so many I can think of..

Trebuche: Tactics attachment 3 cost. Place 2 resources on Trebuche. Forced: Remove 1 resource at the start of each encounter phase. Forced: when all resources are removed deal 3 damage among enemies in the staging area. Place 2 resources on Trebuche.

Skilled with the Bow: Lore event 2 cost. All Noldor and Silvan characters gain Ranged until the end of the phase.

Courageous Sacrifice: Spirit event 2 cost. Response: After a hero is destroyed, discard an ally you control to put that hero back into play with 2 damage.

Reposition: Leadership event 2 cost. Each player may choose an ally they control and put it under the control of another player.