Sign in to follow this  
Nataris

Phantom the new "Best Ship"??

Without adding to much to the hyperbole, is the phantom going to be the next best ship in xwing?

I've been toying around with some wave 4 proxies and the phantom just seems to be one of the best ships I have ever flown. Hands down.

With Echo's maneuverability, 5 attack dice in range 1 and 5 green do when dancing around range 3, his impact on the matches I tested were absolutely staggering.

These ships are like super interceptors, although expensive they seem to be priced just right.

Yes, they are squishy and ships like the falcon will eat them for breakfast. But every ship has its counters and weaknesses. It just seems like the benefits of this ship far outweigh the bad.

I'm in awe of their maneuverability and that doesn't even include echo. He takes things to a different level.

Not the easiest ship to build a list around, but if you use one as a solo flanker and field at least 1 other ship that posses an equally high threat it seems like it can single handedly change the tide in battle.

I love the Ewing as well but this thing is all kinds of silly.

Again, sorry for the hyperbole. But I may be in love..

I'd have to say no. I won one in the tournament. I've played it in three games so far. One epic, it got one shotted by a corvette at range while cloaked. The tournament game, it got owned by a Han Solo with initiative. Finally one regular game where it got eaten up by a Ten Numb with VI and an engine upgrade.

It's just to dependent on green dice and knowing where the enemy goes first.

It's definitely going to be an interesting ship, but it's hard to say if it's "the" best ship now since it really hasn't seen much in terms of tournament play as of yet. That being said, it is my main focus in how I put together a new build in terms of countering, because I can see it being quite used, especially since it's the new kid in town. 

I've played strictly Rebel so far, but I've wanted to dabble with an Interceptor list, mainly because of how maneuverable it is. Now with the Phantom around, I have even more reason to want to try the Imperials.

I'm interested to see how Battle Reports/Tournament results come in now in terms of how many Phantoms are used and how well they do. 

It's a good ship, but it has too many hard counters to be the "Best Ship" That title still probably goes to Chewbacca, Howlrunner, the Acedemy Tie, or the Bounty Hunter.

But it is certainly a good ship.

I don't know if I'd say best ship

Imo there is no best ship but some that work better than others.

I do love the Phantom

I've have wayyyy more wins with it over loses. My losses are usually due to making really bad mistakes like landing on asteroid because misjudged template size.

The phantom I've found is very deadly against ships like the Falcon, Y wings, b wings, xwings, shuttles, slave. Lol just about everything

Even pilots like wedge, Howlrunner.

....Ya maybe I take back my opening statement

IMHO I think it's a novelty. You have to be one hell of a great pilot to maneuver it and I think a even better tactician. If you are a five move ahead type of player you will win everything, otherwise it is just a cool novelty.

spoken like a true rebel.

Without adding to much to the hyperbole, is the phantom going to be the next best ship in xwing?

I've been toying around with some wave 4 proxies and the phantom just seems to be one of the best ships I have ever flown. Hands down.

With Echo's maneuverability, 5 attack dice in range 1 and 5 green do when dancing around range 3, his impact on the matches I tested were absolutely staggering.

These ships are like super interceptors, although expensive they seem to be priced just right.

Yes, they are squishy and ships like the falcon will eat them for breakfast. But every ship has its counters and weaknesses. It just seems like the benefits of this ship far outweigh the bad.

I'm in awe of their maneuverability and that doesn't even include echo. He takes things to a different level.

Not the easiest ship to build a list around, but if you use one as a solo flanker and field at least 1 other ship that posses an equally high threat it seems like it can single handedly change the tide in battle.

I love the Ewing as well but this thing is all kinds of silly.

Again, sorry for the hyperbole. But I may be in love..

The falcon can bite me. Echos two wing men are a doom shuttle and Recce hunter.

It will see success at first but people will learn how to counter it and bring it back to earth. It will always be a part of the meta but on the same level as interceptors.

I wouldn't go that far. It's far better than Squints. The 4 attack and extreme manuevering capability give it much more to work with. It's also far les likely to be one shotted.

I think most people are running it the wrong way. The lowest cost one with the stigium and advanced targeting is the best if you ask me. Way cheaper and evade tokens are more reliable than advanced cloak. If flown correctly they will never know if you are going to cloak and block or load up and go for the kill. If flown with Rexler Brath with decoy one can shoot at PS 8 and let Rexler shoot last after the shields are down. That way he can save focus to flip crits. Fun little three ship build that can run 4 damage dice each if you put heavy laser on Rexler.

Its broken, hopefully it will get fixed one day. until then there's no choice but to fly things with turrets. :(

False. I slapped the hell out of Whisper the other day with Xs.

That said, I think it will be "The Best Ship" for a time at least. It's plays very differently from anything we've seen before. Until people become suited to how to counter it, it will rock worlds. Once things stabilize a bit, I think it will be a very strong ship, but the "OMG it's broken" type comments as seen above will subside as they always do.

The phantom makes people want to play higher PS ships. Shoot first and it will die if they are trying to use advanced cloak. PS 9 or 10 and it wilts fast. Decoy can help get it on the right ship that has it in arc too. Roark does it too. Metas will change to meet the different ships and things will stabilize again.

I love the phantom. I got to use it for the first time tonight. I took Whisper + VI + Rec Spec + Adv. Cloaking. He was awesome when I got him to not bump and he had targets at range one. This might be something that would make me stop primarily playing rebels.

Yes it's the new best ship, are you kidding?  In the hands of a skilled player it hard counters any ship with a Pilot Skill lower than it has, and does it with room for up to 5 other ships on the table to deal with the odd pesky YT-1300 that shows up to ruin the party.  Absolutely hard counters them, even more thoroughly than the YTs used to hard-counter Interceptors.  I have repeatedly defeated entire 100 point lists using a single Phantom.

In the rock, paper, scissors game it is like ROCK to everything else being paper and scissors.  It isn't enough to bring paper, you need to devote your entire list to paper just to have a chance.  Otherwise, you are depending on your opponent to screw up because in a remotely even playing field the Phantom dominates everything.  Don't start with anecdotes about how you killed it this one time at band camp, of course it isn't invincible.  It is however far, far, FAR, FAR!!!!! more effective for it's points than any other ship.

Maybe if they realize how badly they screwed up and ban Advanced Cloaking Device, things will trend back towards balance.  As they stand, Echo and Whisper are so much more powerful for their points than anything else in the game it's not even funny.

im trying to imagine what that maneuverability would be like with a tie swarm hogging the board

between the number of ships and asteroids, you are going to need to be one hell of a flier to not hit anything and lose your actions

Yes it's the new best ship, are you kidding?  In the hands of a skilled player it hard counters any ship with a Pilot Skill lower than it has, and does it with room for up to 5 other ships on the table to deal with the odd pesky YT-1300 that shows up to ruin the party.  Absolutely hard counters them, even more thoroughly than the YTs used to hard-counter Interceptors.  I have repeatedly defeated entire 100 point lists using a single Phantom.

In the rock, paper, scissors game it is like ROCK to everything else being paper and scissors.  It isn't enough to bring paper, you need to devote your entire list to paper just to have a chance.  Otherwise, you are depending on your opponent to screw up because in a remotely even playing field the Phantom dominates everything.  Don't start with anecdotes about how you killed it this one time at band camp, of course it isn't invincible.  It is however far, far, FAR, FAR!!!!! more effective for it's points than any other ship.

Maybe if they realize how badly they screwed up and ban Advanced Cloaking Device, things will trend back towards balance.  As they stand, Echo and Whisper are so much more powerful for their points than anything else in the game it's not even funny.

I completely agree with this. Adv Cloaking Device has turned a fun interesting and viable ship into an overpowered gamepiece that bant be reasonably taken out with the absence of specific counters like turrets, ion weapons and higher PS

It's not the ADV Cloak as much as the maneuverability. Four defense dice will crumble eventually with multiple shots at the phantom. The ability to maneuver out of arc round after round is is the real power there. I don't think it's overpowered, just a cool new mechanic to the game. The meta might serve to gain with new powers besides Howlrunner and seven other TIEs or a falcon and B wings.

I'd expect better less alarmist statements from you. The Phantom is far easier to play than it is to play against, meaning that right now its performance is basically meaningless. Players will learn to fight it, to kill it, and it will come to be good, but far from the best. But it also does what it was supposed to do. Stop low PS swarms from eating everything else alive. Packing any number of things completely nueters the Phantom. And interestingly they are the same things that didn't see play in the previous meta because firepower was more important. Stress delivery, Ions, High Pilot Skill. And of course Turrets. Because they will always be good. Funny how we're getting a pair of new three range turret ships.

And then theirs heavy lasers, Ordnance, and every other way to get 4 attack dice. It's like FFG designed it to create build diversity or something.

It's not broken. Just broken if you don't build taking it in to consideration and can't predict where it will go, despite the fact predicting movement in this game, even for a phantom, is not that difficult.

As I said. I expected better than doom and gloom, Ban this, nonsense.