Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PsychoRocka

Full Dunland Trap spoilers!

99 posts in this topic

I suggest to you start to play it without knowing the text of the encounter cards. You will get a very 'funny' surprise. ^^ Glups! And no read my last post.... :wacko:

Edited by Mndela

Thanks for the heads up - sorry to say, I've already had some of it spoiled. Will run Cubicle7's The One Ring RPG with some friends this coming week and try to forget the card specifics!

danpoage likes this

IF YOU DONT HAVE DUNLAND TRAP YET AND DON'T TO READ SPOILERS OR DETAILED INFO/OPINIONS ABOUT THE QUEST DO NOT READ THIS POST!!!!!

Finally got my hands on Dunland Trap yesterday and had a few plays. Lost my first attempt and won on the second try. Got pretty lucky on the second go though and didn't have nearly as bad encounter draws. I breezed through the first stage on my first attempt however but spent quite a while on stage 1 the second attempt. On the second try the only two enemies I had to defend against when the last time counter was removed on stage 3 was Chief Turch and a Boar Clan Warrior. Easily defended both and had about triple the attack power needed to kill them both, captured my ass!!!!!! I guess the theme and feel of the last stage is that you are utterly surrounded though and the enemies in play/engaged are simply those rushing in to actually attack you so even if the board is clear you are still surrounded by their horde.

It works well building up your strength (has to be non-item attachments however and minimal allies as most will be discarded) on stage 1 before progressing through to stage 2 and the trap so that you are ready as stage 2 becomes stage 3 right after combat and then the struggle for survival truly begins. As much as stage 1 really pushes you to rush I find taking it slow is far better as the worst part about the discard your hand effect is how many draw triggers it sets off when it makes you redraw 2 new cards right before the resource phase in which you draw again (obviously these draw triggers are only worse than the discarding itself if there are encounter cards in play that trigger effects off card draw).

I found the following encounter cards especially nasty and the worst cards to see revealed during staging: 

-Hills of Dunland: if you can't get this out of the staging area you're in for a world of hurt as it constantly brings enemies out and may even do so just when you travel there, also sets off all other draw effects making boar clan enemies nastier.

-In Need of Rest: this pretty much killed any chance I had my first attempt, diabolical on the last stage and can pretty much kill a hero on full health in a round if enough enemies engage players and enough time counters are removed..

-Hithlaeglir Foothills: The threat of this location skyrockets if you have draw effects occuring, even if not it gains 2 threat a turn just from drawing during the resource phase, very nasty... also has surge.... (because it can potentially have 0 threat the whole first turn it is revealed so long as no one draws cards for any reason)

-Wild Men of Dunland: Just like in need of rest this can be scarily powerful especially if there are multiple draw triggers in play, this and Hills of Dunland combine to make life truly miserable every time you draw a card.

-Dunland Berseker: while not especially powerful I've noticed this enemy makes a lot more additional attacks due to card draw in this quest than in The Fords of Isen where there is alot less card draw hate but more hand size hate instead.

I found the following encounter cards however, either strangely beneficial or not very powerful at all:

-Off track: this card is awful if it comes out during stage 1, effectively making you discard your hand every turn rather than every second turn if you cant clear the location but if it comes out during stage 3 it helps you speed through the time counters much faster bringing you closer to the final defense and victory. One worrying thing however is how well this card combos with In Need of Rest, dealing damage to the attached hero even faster.

-Dunlending Ambush: As nasty as this card can be (and it has surge!) of the 4 or 5 times I've had it come out during staging it has been discarded and did nothing 4 of those 5 times as it is attached to the ACTIVE location and if you do not have an active location it does not do anything at all and simply surges. The one time it did attach to a location I thankfully did not have many enemies already engaged so its effect was not too brutal.

-Hithlaeglir Stream: This location makes you draw 2 cards instead of 1 during the resource phase. No cards in this quest punish you for drawing more than 1 card at a time, only for drawing cards in general so this effect doesn't combo with ANY other encounter card and if you're going to be punished for drawing cards ANYWAY why not draw 2 instead of 1 which is only beneficial for the player. Weird encounter card but I've always really enjoyed the occasional slightly beneficial encounter card in harder quests which provide unexpected or surprise help when you're struggling.

-Plains of Enedwaith: This location stops you from drawing a card during the resource phase when it is the active location. So long as you already have a decent amount of cards in your hands I've found this card purely beneficial as it essentially stops all those card draw triggers that go off at the start of each turn during the resource phase. This location can stop Hills of Dunland triggering at the start of each turn, stops Dunland Berserker making an early additional attack, stops Boar Clan Warrior from getting a shadow card and stops Boar Clan stalker growing in size. It also stops the trigger from Wild Men of Dunland and Foothills of Hithlaeglir as well. It also only has 2 threat and 2 quest points so can be instantly cleared by Asfaloth and provides very little threat. Pretty much the least harmful and best possible card to be revealed during staging.

I honestly found that the encounter cards and the way they all combo together is so much worse than the forced effects of the various quest stages. So long as you plan for the trap you can just lose an item or two. Similarly with stage 1 so long as you use the most important/helpful cards in your hand over the first two turns you shouldn't lose too much and actually get to draw new cards (even if it's only 2 (plus the one from the resource phase so really you end up with 3, this also however triggers card draw encounter effects twice like I said above...) which could potentially be better than those you had to discard.

Really impressed by the quest and from my experience so far think it is very fun and thematic as well. The only issue is how complex and finicky it can become if four or five draw triggers are in play. Time counters on the last stage can be slightly tricky as well if Off Track is in play and many enemies are engaging each turn, I found on my first attempt I made a couple of small mistakes (mainly Off track being attached to a location and me forgetting to remove an additional time counter from its effect once or twice) so made sure on the second attempt that any time any player drew any amount of cards OR any time a time counter was going to be removed I checked every engaged enemy, every card in staging, the current location and any condition attachments on players. I don't believe I made any mistakes (or at least hope not!) the second time but it took ALOT longer, probably around an hour long game (two handed) as I was constantly checking and double checking everything. I think the quest is really awesome and well designed but can have far too many moving parts during certain play throughs of it. I certainly hope that all future quests will not involve this level of complexity and this many triggers/moving parts every turn of game play. Don't get me wrong I do want quests with new mechanics and a certain level of complexity but I hope that is not just done in similar ways to this quest too often. I also really hope that time counters will appear on a handful of quests in the future but not all of or most of them, as great as they are I really don't want to see them used in every quest.

Edited by PsychoRocka
Tracker1 likes this

You mention you had enought attack power to Kill the chief,

You know he can't be killed right? He sticks around till the end of the game. Good report!

PsychoRocka likes this

Thanks man!
Yeah, I just meant that if you could attack and defeat him I would have utterly annihilated him :P

I noticed early on in spoilers that his text read cannot leave play and speculated that there would maybe be text on the last stage allowing him to only be defeated at the very end or when no other enemies are in play or something specific:

I haven't yet played the scenario, but it's listed as difficulty 7 and it uses the Dunlending Warriors and Weary Travelers encounter sets. Since there are no locations in those encounter sets, The Dunland Trap has several locations, and they interact with card draw. A unique (mini-boss) enemy and a unique location are set aside at the beginning of the quest, time counters remain important, and there's a 20 engagement cost enemy to make life interesting for low threat decks.

Can't wait to smash some Dunland face! Looks like you can't kill Chief Turch till the last quest stage or something, he reads "cannot leave play". Removing a time counter every time an enemy engages seems pretty **** nasty too, especially when combined with cards like In Need of Rest from weary travelers!

Could you possibly spoil a couple more encounter cards? :P

Turns out its cause they capture you as others had guessed.
Edited by PsychoRocka

According to the rules, "The enemy leaves play, Either by being defeated or as the result of a card effect."

This could suggest that Chief Turch can be destroyed but this does not imply that he leaves play, making his Forced action active until the end of the game, but preventing him to attack again because que is destroyed... 

This could explain why he has a relative low defense and hit points and not the trait "indestructible".

What do you think about this?

According to the rules again "An enemy remains engaged with a player until it is defeated or until a card effect returns it to the staging area, engages it to another player, or removes it from play."

He is not removed from play but he is defeated and then he stop being engaged...

Edited by sparrowpisuke

Well, if I follow your logic : he is defeated => is not engaged with a player.

But his passive is "engage the first player" so he will remain engaged... 

joezim007 likes this

According to the rules, "The enemy leaves play, Either by being defeated or as the result of a card effect."
This could suggest that Chief Turch can be destroyed but this does not imply that he leaves play, making his Forced action active until the end of the game, but preventing him to attack again because que is destroyed... 
This could explain why he has a relative low defense and hit points and not the trait "indestructible".
What do you think about this?

but every indestructible enemy has had defense and HPs - i think they are just there for flavor.

Well, if I follow your logic : he is defeated => is not engaged with a player.

But his passive is "engage the first player" so he will remain engaged...

You're right.

And the infinite loop continue...

Anyway with the trait indestructible and inmune, it would be easier, if this is the real way to play the chief turch.

It is rare if it has defense and hpoints.

One good idea that it would make sense is something like: when the players win the game, damages tokens become victory points.

PsychoRocka likes this

Coming back on Blue Mountain Trader : I realy dislike the card. It is so not in line with the spirit of the game. I would love to have a quick errata with "once per turn, only".

Until the errata is out, the card is banned at my table.

Coming back on Blue Mountain Trader : I realy dislike the card. It is so not in line with the spirit of the game. I would love to have a quick errata with "once per turn, only".

Until the errata is out, the card is banned at my table.

...or you could play it as if it had "Limit once per turn." already. It's a good card regardless of it's ability.

I still don't see what is so powerful about being able to move your resources around however you want. You still have a limited number of resources. Just because it would make Gondorian Fire and Blood of Numenor powerful? Just putting Steward of Gondor on a character is much more efficient.

I still don't see what is so powerful about being able to move your resources around however you want. You still have a limited number of resources. Just because it would make Gondorian Fire and Blood of Numenor powerful? Just putting Steward of Gondor on a character is much more efficient.

Oh god please don't start it all over again, I'm too tired to come up with an example again and too lazy to search for my previous one. 

Just to make sure I get this right ... in stage 1B , even if I explore the active location at once, at the end of teh refresh phase, one time counter is removed, and next turn the second, thus I lose the cards on my hand, am I right?

Edit : found it on one of trackers post, do not bother :)

Edited by Nickpes

Yes, it is true. But is not so bad. You have 2 turns to play the cards you want. After, you 'recycle' your hand. The bad thing is if there are encounter cards that increase his power when one player draws.

I have not posted in a long time, but I just have to.

I am not used to loosing again and  again....but this quest seems too hard for me. 

I don´t play as much as I used to, maybe that´s the problem. I made 5 different decks so far and have not won in 12 games.

It don´t seem to get the right mix of hereos. Brutal. If I manage to get to stage 2B, I have nothing to fight with against most of the time 2 enemies. And then I get to 3B and here comes the Chief. And what the hell is up with surge in this quest. One time I surged 4 cards.

I hobe I win soon so I can get to The Three Trials.