Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PsychoRocka

Full Dunland Trap spoilers!

99 posts in this topic

To those that have played the quest a few times now, I have a question on Chief Turch. When he appears and is engaged

with the first player does that take one of the time counters off and does he become engaged with the first player on each turn or just as he's revealed?

To those that have played the quest a few times now, I have a question on Chief Turch. When he appears and is engaged

with the first player does that take one of the time counters off and does he become engaged with the first player on each turn or just as he's revealed?

he engages - so you remove one token due to the end of round, and one because of his engaging the new first player.

he engages - so you remove one token due to the end of round, and one because of his engaging the new first player.

ok thank you, thats what I figured but wasnt sure just because i normally figure if theres a rule that could go either way it normally makes it harder for the player ha

One of your best articles so far! Great read while I wait for my copy =)

Thanks, I had to occupy myself while waiting for mine, so I just lost it in my stack of Tolkien books.  Glad you liked it!

This was an extremely good article, Kerstoid. As I've stated before, Dunland and the Dunlendings is one of my favorte factions in Middle Earth and possibly my favorite of the enemy ones. I certainly agree that a 21st century perspective can offer interesting possibilities regarding Dunland. They have an interesting culture and lots of room for creativity and for the mind to "wander freely". Something that I would also have mentioned that, as MECCG did in the past, they have given the Dunlendings a fairly "Pictish" visual style, albeit a bit more primitive. The Boar and Raven clans, guardian spirits and Standing Stone cirlces as we'll see in the Three Trials point to an explicit celtic inspiration for the Dunlendings, which I absolutely love. I also expect FFG to develop the dunlending's morality, as you said, in a more mature and sympathetic way so they're portrayed as more than mere "wild people". Also hopefully we will see the Dunlending's dwellings, their duns, from which I think Dunland takes its name. In fact, seeing as the Dunland Trap ends in sort of a cliffhanger and that we start the Three Trials under the protection of the Raven clan, I speculate that at the end of this first adventure we will be rescued by a Raven clan ambush on our assailants, and as payment for their help we will accept these "three trials" to recover the crown.

So as I said, I have great expectations for Dunland in this cycle. My only hope is that it won't fall into the cliched, tired "who's the savage" storyline a la Pocahontas or Avatar. 

Enjoyed learning more about the Picts and duns, thanks!  I agree that a simple, they're actually good and we're actually bad twist wouldn't be satisfying.  I rather hope that learn more about FFG's interpretation of their culture (what are the keys? what is the Antlered Crown?) and understand why they fight as they do, both against us and (apparently) against each other.

As I haven't received my pack yet, I'm still speculating about the narrative text following the scenario.  If anyone wants to spoil what happens with Chief Turch's Boar Clan and our heroes after defeating the scenario, I'd welcome the change to find out!

Thank you, Master of Lore, for an amazing article.

Gizlivadi, stage 1A of The Three Trials (from the preview) reads: "At the edge of a cursed forest, the Boar Shaman explains that you must undertake three trials in order to recover the Antlered Crown, or face death." So I expect we're now either prisoners or semi-allies of the Boar Clan. If the Boar Clan controls the Antlered Crown after this scenario, that might explain why war has broken out in Dunland by the sixth adventure pack. Perhaps the Raven clan, who we're fighting in that scenario, is trying to claim the Antlered Crown from the Boar Clan. As Master of Lore points out, perhaps we end up inadvertently uniting the Dunlendings under Sauruman's influence.

It does seem that if we're taking sides in this Dunlending war, we're going with the Boar Clan against the Raven Clan.  I'm looking forward to understanding why.  Is the Antlered Crown somehow the rightful artifact of their tribe?

On a gameplay note, has anyone had success with a Celeborn / Silvan deck yet or does it still need more cards (or a different scenario) to function?

Estel Edain likes this

Yes, but if you are playing solo the second one doesn't happen.

Seriously just had the most insane/improbable victory on this quest ever.  Was play 4 player, we were outclassed by the quest essentially by turn two and should have just scooped but kept on chugging, barely made it to the last stage all heroes were 1 damage away from death. so we're at the last stage that has 16 time tokens remaining on it. 3 copies of dunlending ambush appear and we pass the current location so 12 enemies total engage the players, one of our two tactics players use the hammer stroke which causes all enemies to engage him dropping our time tokens to well below zero with Chief Turch's effect then our other tactics player uses thicket of spears so none of them attack for the phase securing our victory.  Not 100% sure on the ruling between the effect on stage 3 and how that works with thicket but it was probably the most rewarding game i've played in quite some time

Glaurung and tomtom like this

I know that. So if I'm always the first player then he doesn't re-engage me and an additional token isn't removed.

No... for the 3rd time... You are BOTH the 1st and Last player at the same time.. ALL the time.. you are both. If anything targets 1st or last.. it targets you.

Boored : what Bullroarer Took is asking is wether the first player token is lost and regain when playing solo.

If you have to say something three times, maybe you should ask yourself why the other person insist.

sigh.. Lets try this a 4th time....

YES IT IS LOST AND REGAINED. You are both the first and last player at the same time. So imagine you are two players. You are first and last. When the turn ended you pass the 1st player token AND receive it.

sigh.. Lets try this a 4th time....

YES IT IS LOST AND REGAINED. You are both the first and last player at the same time. So imagine you are two players. You are first and last. When the turn ended you pass the 1st player token AND receive it.

Wow... wait a second, you are saying, when playing solo, you lost the status of first player then regain it, wich in this case, (Chief Turch) will proc another instance of engaging you ? (so Lore Pippin, Sam, Quest effect, and all that...) Because there was not any first player, he was not engage with you, and when regaining it, it will engage you anew.

I think not, and I will even go as to assume this is not what you wanted to say.

I know you mean good because you take time to reply and try to explain a lot of thing to some newer people here and you they sometimes don't express what they want clearly. Try to understand what they say when they obviously fail to see your point.

If you really meant it, then ignore previous paragraph. Just go with : How did you manage to affirm this ? The rules say to pass it to the NEXT, wich, as you said three times, doesn't exist, so you shouldn't passes it.

Ok...

so...

please care to be more accurate on what you refere to as "This" in your last post ?

I'm quite lost and don't know if you are standing on your ground that "the first player is lost and regain" without any logical explanation and after I point out the rules say the opposite ?

Rules says (Refresh phase): "...and the first player passes the first player token to the next player clockwise on his left."

And FAQ: (1.46) “Next” player. If there is only one player in the game, there is no next player.

So in solo games you can't pass (and receive) the 1st player token yourself.

In solo, you always are the first and last player since the beginning of the game, but there is no trigger to engages the 1st player once already engaged.

Rules says (Refresh phase): "...and the first player passes the first player token to the next player clockwise on his left."

And FAQ: (1.46) “Next” player. If there is only one player in the game, there is no next player.

So in solo games you can't pass (and receive) the 1st player token yourself.

In solo, you always are the first and last player since the beginning of the game, but there is no trigger to engages the 1st player once already engaged.

Yes this is correct as a stone

That is the most retarded ruling I have seen in this game for a while. People just love making the game easy and forcing it to not have effects resolve as they haven't the skill to play correctly. You guys can make it the game retarded if you like.. but this ruling is wrong and for fools. It makes NO thematic sense in any way for cards that trigger on the change of the player token to not hit a solo player. The ONLY reason to not trigger it is because you want to make the game easier.

Glaurung likes this

Now that most of us have overcome the Chief Turch issue let's talk about the quest I general. As a solo player I feel there is a formula to it, but that's not too unusual really. The thing that worries me is that the quest is SO complex that it earned a Player's Tip to play slow and make sure you check all the triggers. Is this a trend we need to be worried about?

Simple and hard versus complex and easier?

danpoage and PsychoRocka like this

The game has always had many moving parts. Whoops I forgot that at the moment it is +attack or oh all locations had +threat or w/e. This is why everyone plays wrong all the . Trust me if you think you played a perfect game, you probably didn't. This is even more so for solo players as they have no one to check. The quests will only get more complex as time hose by, not less

Wow it really does look like you are a captive (or have come to an understanding) with Chief Turch/the boar clan in general as the text on the first stage of The Three Trials reads: "At the edge of a cursed forest, the Boar Shaman explains that you must undertake three trials in order to recover the antlered crown, or face death. Each trial will test your worthiness. Guardian spirits watch over three sacred swords, protecting them from the undeserving."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/the-ringmaker/MEC27-cardfan-01.png

We might also see these three swords mentioned in some way or another (they may even just be the keys in this quest) as well as the antlered crown itself.

Also just realised that in the art for "The Guardian's Fury" which is top right in the image I posted; it looks like a wolf skin on that guardian's head. Pretty sure this means the three guardians are gonna be Raven, Boar and Wolf.

Edited by PsychoRocka
Gizlivadi and Kerstoid like this