Sign in to follow this  
RoastedRareByte

Questions on the Czerka H9 Pistol Grip (Dangerous Cov.)

Hi all,

So one of my players wants to do a sort of Gadgeteer bounty hunter. He's using a Blaster Carbine with the following attachments:

- The "Bantha Eye" Lazer Sight

- The Czerka H9 Pistol Grip

- The Weapon Sling

Normally I wouldn't have an issue with this. However, the Czerka H9 Pistol Grip changes the weapon skill to ranged (light). Since the weapon sling requires that the weapon be ranged (heavy), does that mean both attachments are mutually exclusive? 

It doesn't change the carbine into a pistol, it just allows the Range(L) skill to be used firing it so I'd say it is ok per RAW, but of course you are the GM and if you don't think it is acceptable, just say no, too much cheese....

It doesn't change the carbine into a pistol, it just allows the Range(L) skill to be used firing it so I'd say it is ok per RAW, but of course you are the GM and if you don't think it is acceptable, just say no, too much cheese....

The wording makes it seem like It doesn't just allow the Ranged (light) skill to be used during firing. It sounds like it actually changes the weapon skill to ranged (light). 

Base Modifiers: The weapon's skill changes to ranged (light)...

i think you're right about changing the skill to ranged - light for making checks with the pistol grip attached.  i read it to be that it's main selling point would be to allow someone who has a high ranged-light skill attach it to a blaster carbine so that they wouldn't have to invest in range-heavy in order to get more firepower.

i would also say that they could use the sling as well.  the carbine is still a range-heavy weapon by design and the pistol grip only changes the skill that your pc uses to fire it.  that requirement seems to be in the RAW as it cannot justify the quickdraw of a pistol as it does for a rifle to be drawn more quickly.

the pc should still have to say whether they are firing with one hand or two and apply the appropriate setback for the pistol grip.

Edited by edisung

Technically the pistol grip is only changing the skill used to fire the weapon, not the category that the weapon would generally fall under.

This might be worth posting in the "Dangerous Covenants: Questions for Sam Stewart" thread, seeing as how he'll be a guest on this Sunday's Order 66 podcast.

Normally I wouldn't have an issue with this. However, the Czerka H9 Pistol Grip changes the weapon skill to ranged (light). Since the weapon sling requires that the weapon be ranged (heavy), does that mean both attachments are mutually exclusive? 

Nah.

The weapon sling is clearly intended to go on rifle sized weapons. Adding a pistol grip doesn't cut the rifle down to be pistol sized. It's important to think of context here. At the time of the CRB, You basically had a "Pistols" skill, a "Rifles" skill and a "BFG" skill, and no equipment doing what this pistol grip does. This atachment throws a kink in there, but some common sense let's us draw the conclusion that the sling is an issue related the weapon's size more than the skill you use. This wasn't an issue when skill and size were essentially the same.

So one of my players wants to do a sort of Gadgeteer bounty hunter. He's using a Blaster Carbine with the following attachments:

- The "Bantha Eye" Lazer Sight

- The Czerka H9 Pistol Grip

- The Weapon Sling

So, the first thing to keep in mind is that a Carbine can already be used with the "Ranged (Light)" skill. Per CRB, page 162:

At short range, the rifle can be fired one-handed — just as if it were a heavy pistol. The stock is extended at more distant targets so that the trooper can better stabilize his aim.

Per CRB, page 193:

Slings are lengths of hide or synthetic fabric designed to allow easy handling of long arms like blaster rifles and slugthrower rifles.

Page 193 also says:

These attachments can only be used with Ranged (Heavy) weapons.

My take on this latter part is that slings can’t be used on pistols, and wouldn’t make any sense there. If you have a weapon that would use the Gunnery skill, you would need the more heavy-duty Weapon Harness and not the light weight Weapon Sling. But everything that would normally use the Ranged (Heavy) skill would qualify as something that could have a Weapon Sling added.

Now, one twist here is that the Czerka H9 Pistol Grip cannot be applied to any Ranged (Heavy) weapon that has the Cumbersome quality. That would knock out all the Ranged (Heavy) weapons that can Auto-fire, leaving the regular Blaster Rifle and Blaster Carbines, among others. Moreover the H9 doesn’t actually convert the weapon to "be" a Ranged (Light) weapon, it simply allows you to use the weapon as if it were Ranged (Light), so long as you’re willing to deal with the [sETBACK] die that it will add to your combat check.

The H9 wouldn’t necessarily remove any existing stock on the weapon, so if you wanted to then you could still choose to use it as a Ranged (Heavy) weapon by extending the stock.

bradknowles,

While a carbine can be used in one hand by default (out to Short range), it still uses Ranged (Heavy) in such cases. The Pistol Grip attachment is needed to allow the Ranged (Light) skill to be used with the weapon.

While a carbine can be used in one hand by default (out to Short range), it still uses Ranged (Heavy) in such cases. The Pistol Grip attachment is needed to allow the Ranged (Light) skill to be used with the weapon.

A "heavy pistol" uses the Ranged (Light) skill.

How, exactly, would you be using a carbine "just as if it were a heavy pistol", if you weren’t using the Ranged (Light) skill?

My suggestion is that you go back and re-read page 162 of the CRB. After doing so, if you still feel the same way and that’s the way you want to run it in your game, well then you’re the GM for your game and you get to run your game however you want.

Alternatively, you’re welcome to file a question with the developers and get them to clarify the rules. In that case, whatever their answer is, that should go under the pinned thread for that purpose.

Either way, in any game I’m involved in, how I have described things is how I would run them. If I were a player and my GM were to disagree, well then, it’s his game and I’m just a player. I might disagree, but it’s still his game.