Sign in to follow this  
Venters

Signature Abilities

So I have a question about Signature abilities,

If you have multiple specializations that can all have the same Signature Ability attached to it,

Example say Marauader and Enforcer,

Could you attach Unmatched Protection to the bottom of both trees buy it in one and then continue down both trees to further improve upon it from both trees?

Example it now lasts 6 rounds longer get +2 Soak and can reduce damage by a further 4?

Woohoo!!! A game question!!!

I am thinking no since it says once bought and attached it can't be switched to a different tree.  To me that means you only buy it once or why would they need to discuss switching it, you could just buy it again and wouldn't need to talk about switching it.

Edited by 2P51

I am thinking no since it says once bought and attached it can't be switched to a different tree.  To me that means you only buy it once or why would they need to discuss switching it, you could just buy it again and wouldn't need to talk about switching it.

See the way i thought that meant was for example you get Last Man Standing, and now your GM no longer uses minions against you so you want to switch out to Unmatched Protection so as you didn't waste all that XP.

Oh well it was worth a thought on becoming able to soak a Krayt Dragon's attack.....

See the way i thought that meant was for example you get Last Man Standing, and now your GM no longer uses minions against you so you want to switch out to Unmatched Protection so as you didn't waste all that XP.

To be completely fair, that is a jerk move for a GM. If my GM was pulling something like that, I would have a serious talk with him.

Edited by awayputurwpn

Your GM sucks. If I got a player that managed to get down to Last Man Standing, I would make **** sure that he got to use his Deathblossom as often and as dramaticly as I could.

Also, if your game is utterly ruined by removing one group of minions from your story, then your story sucked in the first place.

Edited by Desslok

If you have multiple specializations that can all have the same Signature Ability attached to it,

Could you attach Unmatched Protection to the bottom of both trees buy it in one and then continue down both trees to further improve upon it from both trees?

Example it now lasts 6 rounds longer get +2 Soak and can reduce damage by a further 4?

If I'm understand the question correctly, I'll say no. Once you buy a signature tree you cannot buy it a second time. There is no double dipping in this game. It would be like trying to take Marauader a second time, which cannot be done.

This seems to be a different question than the first. You cannot switch one tree for a different one. It's like asking to switch Pilot to Scoundrel because you no longer see starships. It cannot be done.

If you had Marauader and Enforcer specializations then you could attach Last One Standing to one and Unmatched Protection to the other.

Also, if your game is utterly ruined by removing one group of minions from your story, then your story sucked in the first place.

To be fair I think the ability removes all minions in the encounter. Not a single minion group. If there were sixty minions (ten groups) then they all die (assuming you have the destiny points and make the Resilience Check).

I agree that it's a jerk move to never include minions after some one takes the ability. As is often the case in these kinds of things it's a failure of GM creativity.

There are several ways to make sure that players can't just use Last Man Standing to breeze through encounters if you want. Include rivals that don't get burned down so the other players have something to do. Have rival reinforcements arrive while the two turn cool down is ticking (the hired gun has to wait an extra turn before he can take action while he slaughters those fleeing his complete badass-ness). Wait until the players are short on destiny points to spring your minions and refrain from using your dark side until you are ready for maximum burnination.

Basically, just make encounters bigger and more epic knowing that at some point all the minions will be killed.

Yeah it changes things from when the heroes are facing off several groups of goons , finding cover, trading shots, etc  to a single super hero stepping out into the open and just mows every thing down. 

And then if the GM adds another wave of minions to the fight, that just means the first wave was story fluff.  It makes scene less anchored in the story.

There are several ways to make sure that players can't just use Last Man Standing to breeze through encounters if you want. Include rivals that don't get burned down so the other players have something to do.

Of course here's the thing - you said encounterS - the Last Man Standing ability gets used once per game. So unless you have a group of Hired Guns, having the ability go off more than once a game is academic. It's not going to happen.

Yeah it changes things from when the heroes are facing off several groups of goons , finding cover, trading shots, etc  to a single super hero stepping out into the open and just mows every thing down. 

And then if the GM adds another wave of minions to the fight, that just means the first wave was story fluff.  It makes scene less anchored in the story.

In Fist of Fury, Bruce lee goes to the Japanese Dojo and returns their "You Suck" sign before beating the stuffing out 40 or so Mooks. It's a clear message that Bruce is not going to stand for the Japanese and their shenanigans. So in addition to being an awesome fight, it's an important plot point.

In Django, the gunslinger drifts into town, dragging a coffin with him. Angering Major Jackson, Jackson brings 50 or so men into town to deal with Django - who pulls a machine gun out of the coffin and guns down all the mooks. Suddenly Jackson has to play it much smarter when dealing with Django - and it opens the door for Django to strike a deal with a mexican bandit to bring the fight to Jackson.

In both instances, the character using their Last Man Standing is more than just fluff. Yes it changes the game, but that's what players SHOULD be doing anwyay. And it's way more awesome and cool and badass than just rolling out the combat and gives the player a moment in the spotlight to be Awesome McCool - as it should be.

Edited by Desslok

No.

The devs have bee nvery clear about RAI being against doubling up on specializations. Because the SAs are extensions to the tree, it stands to reason that you are not allowed to take it twice. I believe it even says in the book that you can only have one SA and it has to attach to you starting specialization. Not sure on that last bit though.

Oh well it was worth a thought on becoming able to soak a Krayt Dragon's attack.....

If your GM no longer puts minions against you because you have Last One Standing, that GM needs to be slapped with a fish. The whole idea of Star Wars Roleplaying is to go against the Player vs. GM mindset so prevalent in d20 systems. I'd be looking for excuses to throw setback dice, or minions at a party knowing full-well they have the abilities to handle it. In fact, I'd be tempted to throw one more minion heavy encounter at them per session than they have the ability to trigger Last One Standing. :)

The idea is to make things cool and fun to play. Last One Standing is cool and fun especially for me as a GM. The other thing to remember is that a fully kitted-out Last One Standing also allows rivals to be taken out too...