Sign in to follow this  
che

Question about a new kind of release in between waves

A friend of mine came with an idea, Im not totally sure about it so want to hear your comments.

Its about a new kind of release for xwing in between the waves would you like FFG to release some pilot cards? Like only new upgrades and new pilots to be sell like the dice master cards packages?

A lot of us wouldn't mind seeing some sort of card pack. But the question that normally is asked about this idea is how much sense would it make for FFG to do this in terms of profit.

There's little question that the upgrades and pilots that come with some ships are part/half/most of the reason people buy them. So a card only pack means less potential sales of the ships down the road, which is what FFG makes most of their money on.

Who wouldn't like this??  But they probably won't do it, because they're doing the repaints, which accomplish the same purpose, get us new models, and they get more money than a $7 card pack or something

The profit margin on a $7, or whatever price, pilot card pack would probably be significantly higher than on the $15 whole miniature sets. The cards are probably much cheaper to print than the minis are to manufacture.

I don't like it.

Wouldn't matter if every card pack was the same or random

I just don't like the idea and I don't think it would be worth ffg time.

They do have something in between waves it seems.

That's been the aces packs, and huge ships.

If I had to pay 5-7 bucks for a card pack is rather dish out the few extra Dollars and get the ship with it which I can do now. Even if it's a ship I don't want.

*shudders* x-wing booster packs? 3 pilots, and 5 upgrades, with a guaranteed rare in every pack, coupled with holograms and ultra-rare pilots and upgrades not found in expansions? That is the most evil thing I can think of... Would rob me of so much money... Please don't.

Nobody wants booster packs with random cards, and I don't think we have to worry about that with this game.

The way to make these card packs work for almost everybody (manufacturer, completists and dabblers) is to include stuff you can't find anywhere else. Ship expansion packs would remain relevant.

I assume that these hypothetical packs would be faction-specific. If each pack included a new named pilot for each of the existing ships for that faction, almost everyone would have an interest in picking up that card pack. Throw in some all-new upgrades, maybe even a mission and a token sheet if necessary, maybe a sought-after upgrade (PtL, Advanced Sensors, etc.) and I think you've got a must-buy.

Edited by DagobahDave

I'd be interested in a "Custom" booster pack where you tell FFG which cards you want and get 5-10 of them for about $10. That way someone trying to do something like a Stealth Device equipped Tie Swarm, doesn't have to buy 4 Firesprays, and so on.

Alternatively, sell different types of boosters, like a Crew booster that comes with 5-7 crew members, a Secondary Weapon Booster, a Modification Booster, etc.

I'd certainly be interested in a few versions of those.

Basically what you are asking for is "Aces" packs without ships.  People (Including me) have been talking about this idea since the first release.  I would by them, but I think FFG has decided to go with their "Aces"  model instead.

Sometimes these "Aces" release sort of bug me.  Before the Imperial Aces came out I already had 5 Interceptors, all I would really ever need to play.  But with the Aces there were so many cool things that I wanted to buy them anyway.  I am actually thinking about buying another pack so I can get another red ship and a couple more Royal Guard Pilot cards.

I am even more annoyed  with the Rebel Aces expansion.  The Chardaan Refit card is something I would like to put on 95% of the A-wings I take.  I can imagine possibly getting 2 cards in the set (though likely just 1).  How many Rebel Aces boxes will I have to buy to get all the Chardaan Refit cards I need.

I mean honestly how often does your A-wing not carry missiles.  And if it doesn't have missiles why shouldn't it have the Chardaan Refit.  And if we can put in on the A-wing why not say the TIE Advanced. Of course that is a slippery slope  leading you to put 2 of them on the TIE Bomber and bring the cost down that of a TIE Fighter and it still has 2 torpedo and a bomb slot.

Who wouldn't like this??  But they probably won't do it, because they're doing the repaints, which accomplish the same purpose, get us new models, and they get more money than a $7 card pack or something

The profit margin on a $7, or whatever price, pilot card pack would probably be significantly higher than on the $15 whole miniature sets. The cards are probably much cheaper to print than the minis are to manufacture.

That's a big assumption, though, if you consider how much of their costs are likely tied up in salaries and overhead for R&D. And there's also the fact that they have yet to sell any expansion that can't stand on its own (assuming you already have the core set).

Based on pure material costs you are correct on production costs not likely.

How much you think that little ship costs in material not much. The cost to make those pilot cards is probably based more on the development and production. When a repaint is simply the same ship as before the cost of producing that ship is significantly less and given all reprints so far are 4x the price of a supposed $7 card pack. That's a whole lot more they make from an aces box.

I am even more annoyed  with the Rebel Aces expansion.  The Chardaan Refit card is something I would like to put on 95% of the A-wings I take.  I can imagine possibly getting 2 cards in the set (though likely just 1).  How many Rebel Aces boxes will I have to buy to get all the Chardaan Refit cards I need.

This shows two of those Chaardaaan Refits. :)

SWX29-productspread.png

I agree that it was kind of unfortunate for lots of players who splurged on Interceptors, Bs and As before the Aces packs were announced. It's made me cautious about buying more than one of anything from now on.

Edited by DagobahDave

I just don't buy more than what I think I'll need

Some I mostly play 100 pt games I probably would never buy more than I need. I can't fit 7 squints in a squad of 100 pts.

As for epic play what I have works good enough. Since its not something I play every day, and I haven't seen any stores in my area having epic tournament I haven't had the urge to but 12 squints or xwings

Edited by Krynn007

I am even more annoyed with the Rebel Aces expansion. The Chardaan Refit card is something I would like to put on 95% of the A-wings I take. I can imagine possibly getting 2 cards in the set (though likely just 1). How many Rebel Aces boxes will I have to buy to get all the Chardaan Refit cards I need.

This shows two of those Chaardaaan Refits. :)

SWX29-productspread.png

I agree that it was kind of unfortunate for lots of players who splurged on Interceptors, Bs and As before the Aces packs were announced. It's made me cautious about buying more than one of anything from now on.

I think you will also find as has been stated elswhere the facedown card is more than likely to be a 3rd Chardaan Refit as its a missile slot card an they seem to layout all the duplicates together so no one should need more rthan 2 boxes at most ( unless you have a thing for A-Wings in Epic play)

Edited by Mace Windu

And it isn't just cards, remember. Any card pack would also require the cardboard template of any pilots. That boosts the cost of the pack a bit.

I'm not going to lie. As someone with no painting ability, the repainted ships are just as big a draw as the cards. I'm definitely thinking 3 total of Imperial Aces will be nice. May just stick to 2 Rebel Aces, but **** if the McQuarrie A-wing isn't tempting.