Sign in to follow this  
Goknights12

Land based game?

True, but I heard of a alien vs predator mini game coming out.

Not sure how that'll work, but it'll have marines, aliens and predators.

Not sure how many types of minis they would have though.

Give it time

Everyone will try to cash in on the cash cow.

I forsee a halo mini game.

Maybe starcraft/warcraft

Starcraft would be an awesome addition. It would make a nice RPG too.

Alien vs Predator is still in kickstarter. Starcraft will be awesome but it will be like 40k ultramarines vs Tyrannids...so I dont know about that, could be interesting though

The most original thing about X-Wing are the movement mechanics, and they don't translate to a terrestrial combat setting. Every ground vehicle can come to a complete stop, and that alone wipes out the elegance of the X-Wing rules.

FFG would be nuts not to pursue a capital-ship scale version of X-Wing, though. That's money waiting to be printed.

THIS.

Imagine if 1 tie fighter represented a squad of them. And you had 2-3 star destroyers in a battle and support ships vs a true rebel fleet..

Money waiting to be printed , indeed

I will say that when it comes to land battles the clone wars has that covered. (Need any more info on how hard it is to do land wars in Star Wars look at Petrographs Empire at War PC game.

Now the movement system could work for say some vehicles but for infantry you would need a whole new set of movements such as obliques, flanks, withdrawls moving backwards. Not to mention there is other things to considered such as heroes and players. I guess squads or vehicles that can have crew upgrades to act as heroes imbedded or transported. Then there is also armor to consider as well.

Still remember there were only 2 land battle scenes in episodes 5 and 6. As for 4 it was aboard a space ship (boarding of the Tantive IV) and the Death Star. I don't count the shoot out in the catina as a battle scene.

how about a Memoir 44 style game?

FFG own Battlelore, its the same system. 

Could be like Star Wars Battle Front video game, instead of Left Flank, Right Flank & Center it could be based around control points as in SWBF

MM44 has snow boards = Hoth

Forrest board for Endor, and so on, I'm surprised FFG has not done this already 

how about a Memoir 44 style game?

FFG own Battlelore, its the same system. 

Could be like Star Wars Battle Front video game, instead of Left Flank, Right Flank & Center it could be based around control points as in SWBF

MM44 has snow boards = Hoth

Forrest board for Endor, and so on, I'm surprised FFG has not done this already 

As I was reading, I was thinking of that myself. What if they just made a board game type game. You could do it like memoir, or like Axis and Allies did with D-day, Guadalcanal or Battle of the Bulge. You could make a game with cool minis figures for each battle. I could live with that. 

As far as Capital ship battle I could see it happening, but also not. You would need to re-scale everything, and you would find yourself with Axis and Allies War at sea with big battle ships and then planes would be in tiny groups of three and... okay I talked myself into thinking this could work. My worry would be how does the movement work?

I've actually wondered about planetary play myself.  There are several vehicles that we never see in space and I do feel that FFG is missing out on some great vehicles and possible game play.

here's the reasons I would want there to be a way to play planetary or atmospheric battles:

#1 -  Being able to control some of my favorite vehicles like the Snow-speeders, AT-AT,  AT-ST and Land-speeders.     (ALL vehicles we never see in Space)

#2 -  Being able to recreate the Battles of Hoth and Endor and other planets in the SW universe.

3# - The use of custom play mats/tables with planet surfaces like:  snow/ice (Hoth), forest (Endor), desert (Tattooine), and swamp (Dagobah)

My only concern would be planet battles would feel a little unlike the films/books/comics/etc., if you don't have characters you control...however maybe you could have cards like Luke Skywalker controlling a Snowspeeder or Chewbacca controlling an AT-ST.

My concern with ground battles would be when you're playing against the Sith and they lure you into a graveyard. They'll force power the dead back to life to overrun your forces. (Get it?)

Otherwise surface and atmospheric warfare sounds great. Keep it all prepainted 6mm to stay in x-wing scale.

Since Imperial Assault has the ground base game using the descent system and Armada and Rebellion showing no signs of adding a 3rd (Scum) faction I think the ground combat game in the same scale of X-Wing to be nill.

I think we have to accept X-wing as its independent system for sake of the competitive/spectator scene. It simply won't mix with other systems and at a business perspective it would be better to keep it that way. While being able to eclipse Warhammer 40,000 is a boon it is also a restrictive factor because now it has to maintain that competitive mechanical setting. Adding a game that can also be an add-on (much like Hordes is for Warmachines) would detract from that factor.

FFG would be nuts not to pursue a capital-ship scale version of X-Wing, though. That's money waiting to be printed.

Isn't that basically Armada? I haven't played it but I have watched the demo video, seen packaging etc. Looks similar to X-wing in a lot of ways.

Isn't that basically Armada? I haven't played it but I have watched the demo video, seen packaging etc. Looks similar to X-wing in a lot of ways.

You do realize that comment is from before Armada came up, right?

Ground Game simply has to be X-Wing compatible.   AT-AT's Can be carried by a Gozanti, and then you can play it on the same 3 x 3 board, or even a 6 x 3 for a large scale game.   It would be gorgeous.  

Oh geesh... Why the HECK do people need to necro 3 year old threads?!?!?! 

Edited by Crabbok