Sign in to follow this  
Goknights12

Land based game?

I know there will be a ton of people rail me for even bringing this up, but here it goes.

Star Wars is such a huge universe, and it is no secret that land based battle is a huge part to Star Wars that we are missing with X-Wing (and I do love X-Wing).

My question is how long before the well finally runs dry of X-Wing minis? I know the Imps have a ton of ships, plus possibly two more epics for them, Tie Scout, and We could still see an Aces for Tie Advance, Y-Wing, Tie Fighter, Bomber and really X-Wing I guess. But what about the land battles?

The main argument from people is that they would be directly competing against themselves, but FFG already does that. Look at their RPG they have Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion (Pretty much the same game just different themes), Although Eldritch Horror is an updated version of Arkham, they still have the same thing and for players like me wonder if it is worth getting both if it's going to be relatively the same game. Star Wars LCG and the new Empire vs. Rebellion, not the same concept in how you play, but it is cards an Star Wars and it does create some internal competition for players that may not want to get all into the LCG.

So why not a land based game? They have shown that they can make a hugely successful mini game without having to charge people an arm and a leg for one ship. They can model the movement and game play off of X-Wing or even some Dust Tactics if they want, and I am sure there are people out there like me that would love it. NOT TO MENTION, as less and less ships become a viable option to be made for Star Wars, it would give them something in between releasing a new wave for X-Wing so that way new ships and designs could last longer, and it would seem like the right pace. 

Okay, hammer my idea now.  :)

As much as I would love it two problems for me are

1) would I need a huge area to play like warhammer. One reason I never got into war hammer is i never had a table large enough

2) the cost between playing xwing and another miniature game would be too much.

However If they stopped making xwing and moved on to land base, I'd Probably follow.

I do hope they don't decide to have both going.

We'll see if anything other than imperial huge ships are announced at Gen con

Edited by Krynn007

Be cool if they managed both in one game

On a 6x3 board like epic, one half be space battles the other half be ground.

Though not everyone has the room

Huge ships could have landing forces and provide cover for the ground while also try to maintain the atmosphere

Small ships could also provide ground support, and the ground units could have shields generators for protection etc

I could see a way it could work.

Edited by Krynn007

I think one challenge would be how to make it so it doesn't feel like Warhammer x or Warmachine/Horde. Determining the scope of land based game would be part of the trick. 

Looking at it from the movies perspective, the majority of land battles have always been overwhelming for one side. The large scale battles for control of planets was on a grandiose scale that may be difficult to translate to table top in a streamlined manner like they have with the space conflicts.  Even in the space conflicts FFG started with dog-fights before even approaching frigate sized vessels.

I think one challenge would be how to make it so it doesn't feel like Warhammer x or Warmachine/Horde. Determining the scope of land based game would be part of the trick. 

Looking at it from the movies perspective, the majority of land battles have always been overwhelming for one side. The large scale battles for control of planets was on a grandiose scale that may be difficult to translate to table top in a streamlined manner like they have with the space conflicts.  Even in the space conflicts FFG started with dog-fights before even approaching frigate sized vessels.

Truth. I think you would start with something like the Tantive four Hallway., and once you start branching out it becomes larger scale. You could use 3x3 maps and I mean Heck for epic we use 3x6.

As far as making it not feel like Warhammer/Machine. I think that all comes with the movement and how each unit is represented in cards, and I wouldn't even assume that there would be individual units. It could just be vehicles, and if there were units they could come in squads that would move together rather than a solo unit....we shall see. I know it has to be unique, but they did it with X-Wing.

Land base game doesn´t sound that bad, but I don´t it will feel like warhammer, warhammer is too technical, I think it would be just like heroclix. And as a player of clix, I´m not that thrill to have a game so similar

I guess I just posted this but I could see planet textured playmats or deathstar textured mats and then releasing turbolasers and ion cannon planet emplacements for imps and rebels respectively. they'd have arcs and be able to rotate as their movement and be preplaced on half of that players board. It would represent high atmosphere planet battles or the incredible scale of imperial capital ships.

otherwise I think ground based battle lists would have to be a totally separate game, though I'm sure a good one.

Edited by Bathickey

I think it'd be great!

I'd love to see them expand both into land (or internal, as in: inside the huge ships) combat and capital scale. I'd also like to see a mechanism for integration - introducing landing craft and dropships (Sentinel!) into the current game. That way, events in the X-Wing game can determine if the landing craft get through to impact the ground game.

Also, a capitals game that sends different fighter groups at each other, which can be worked out in the XWM game.

That said,

I don't think they'll do it. So much of X-Wing's appeal to most of its players seems to be because of its narrow scope. It only seems to be übernerds (like me) who yearn for a broader and deeper scope. I think that FFG knows that I'm not their target market.

I've thought about this before.

I'd prefer to see something like X-Wing on the ground. Not 40k. More ship/tank/AT-AT/snow speeder based than troop based. Not sure if there are enough "vehicles" to warrant such a game, but I'd like it more than something like Star Wars 40k.  That's just me though. 

I'd rather them stay in space and introduce a capital ship game. But I wouldn't be completely opposed to land based gameplay.

Biggest issue is balance. The Rebels didn't really have any heavily armored land based craft like AT-ATs in the movies. You would have to go EU right off the bat.

As has been touched on a bit in this thread, if you do a land based game you have to decide on scale. Do you do a 6mm scale wargame with AT-ATs, tanks and strafing speeders, or do you do a larger scale skirmish game with individual storm troopers and rebel troops and so on. Those are two very very different games. And they both require rules that are very different from each other and can, at best, only borrow basic ideas from x-wing.

I think having land battles gets dangerously close to ten month-long Battletech campaigns. Suddenly we have four novels worth of rules covering all scales and how they interact.

Although I would love it, FFG don't have to develop rules for how he different games interact. That can be left to the fans to work out what works best for them. As long as each individual game is fully self contained and works well on its own it's fine.

The most original thing about X-Wing are the movement mechanics, and they don't translate to a terrestrial combat setting. Every ground vehicle can come to a complete stop, and that alone wipes out the elegance of the X-Wing rules.

FFG would be nuts not to pursue a capital-ship scale version of X-Wing, though. That's money waiting to be printed.

As has been touched on a bit in this thread, if you do a land based game you have to decide on scale. Do you do a 6mm scale wargame with AT-ATs, tanks and strafing speeders, or do you do a larger scale skirmish game with individual storm troopers and rebel troops and so on. Those are two very very different games. And they both require rules that are very different from each other and can, at best, only borrow basic ideas from x-wing.

I would very much like vehicles in the game. It would be easier in a Clone Wars era setting, as there are far more recognizable vehicles. Soldiers could be a single piece consisting of 4-5 individual troopers, and there could be specialized squads (recon, artillery, infantry, etc) 

But, I have no wargaming/miniatures experience aside from X-wing, so  don't know how well it'd all work. I do stand by and watch people play 40k at the FLGS, and would love to see a Republic Gunship flying over the hand-crafted battlefield.

If it was squad level it could work but would be like too many other games.

If they went vehicle level then I would always choose the Empire because the Rebels have very little to reply with.

A vehicle scale game set during the prequels could work but I would have absolutely no interest in playing it.

The most original thing about X-Wing are the movement mechanics,.

You know, I totally agree, despite the movement system basically being stolen almost whole from wings of war.

"Original" was probably the wrong word to use. Let's pretend I said "appealing" instead.

In playing over several, I mean several, years, i do not know of one successful sci fi miniature ground based game. Would avoid it like the plague. FASA Centurion came close and had a HUGE following but the company died. There are ZERO sci fi ground based games, that dominate.

True, but I heard of a alien vs predator mini game coming out.

Not sure how that'll work, but it'll have marines, aliens and predators.

Not sure how many types of minis they would have though.

Give it time

Everyone will try to cash in on the cash cow.

I forsee a halo mini game.

Maybe starcraft/warcraft

Edited by Krynn007