Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Star Wars Clone Wars Ships ?

I ask this question inspired by a kid that came up to my game over the weekend last. He saw the ships and said

"wow these ships look cool,"

"I am going to get my dad to buy me some"

"are they going to make Clone wars"

I have played a couple of different video games and watched all movies 6 movies and star war droids as a kid but past that I'm not super versed into the Extend Unvi.

What if FFG (fully understand it would be more of a third faction from terrible movies) made ships from this part of the star wars history, would they be more then just the handful of ships seen on the scene?

X-Wing Miniature gamers generally seem to be "old" compared to the general Clone Wars audience. I am sure a lot of people here enjoyed Clone Wars but we are not the main audience. I just don't see a lot of us buying into it - and maybe that's why you can find Clone Wars computer games and LEGO sets but not (that I know of) miniature games.

The factions switching makes it kinda impossible to intergrate with the current game. Who knows they might release a seperate game some time in the future. Everyone's bets at the moment is more on the upcoming Rebels TV show and Episode VII ships crossing more into the established time frame of the classic ships. It's kind of interesting that the current game being based on the original movies and PC games from the 90s means all the players I've encountered have been in their late 20s to 40s. Such a change from the GW stores filled with terrible music and early teens.

I saw a game at the last convention I was at (Cold Wars) where they had all the Clone War era ships (approximately same size as FFG, but not sure of the brand) and they were mounted on FFG flight stands.  The pilot boards and cards were all custom made.  I recall seeing a few jedi fighters and a gaggle of droid fighters on the board.  They were definitely using X-wing rules though.

My vote is for a separate, but compatible, game called Jedi Starfighter. The factions, of course, would be Republic and Separatist, and the upgrades could be usable in X-Wing to entice X-Wing players to buy in. However, Lucasfilm doesn't seem to have much interest in promoting the Clone Wars era at the moment.

Let me restate that I am not debating the matter of a new faction more of wanting to know what ships would they print if it happens as I really don't know much about this time frame in the star wars galaxy (not trying to be smart I just don't know)

Edited by Cubanboy

I agree with Keoki. A compatible but seperate game with overlapping upgrades. Granted they could all easily be compatible to play against eachother, but I think the release would be smaller.

New Republic vs Droid would have maybe 4 or 5 republic ships and 3 or 4 seperatist that were mainly just unique ships like the falcon and slave are now.

The factions, of course, would be Republic and Separatist, and the upgrades could be usable in X-Wing to entice X-Wing players to buy in.

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that.  I like it.  Of course, if they made the upgrades compatible, that would mean the points system was the same, so there'd be no reason not to use generic Clone Wars era pilot cards along with Original Trilogy era ones - there's only a 20 year difference after all.  Gimme my ARC-170s and sexy Naboo shuttles!

I think the big ones that would still be "left over" would be:

Arc-170

Vwings

Naboo fighters

Kwing (late enough that it is actually in era)

Eta-2

Givivex-class (though supposidly only 6 were made)

Vulture droids (they became sentient at some point)

belbullab-22 starfighter

Nu-Class shuttles

loads of things but which factions do you put them in? And which ones would you want? And which ones would actually sell?

Edited by Rakky Wistol

Yeah, they'll introduce Clone Wars stuff.

1. They will appeal to a younger crowd to get more players into the game as these kids (stop walking on my lawn and) get jobs.

2. They will make the Clone Wars era ships superior to the Rebellion era ships. That beloved ARC-170 will have 4/3/4/3 stat line, and cost 20 points. The Jedi Starfighter will have the movement dial of an A-Wing, but be allowed two actions, including two boosts, and Push the Limit, but if a Jedi is flying it, they can do a trance and reduce stress.

You still liking this idea?

Look, this thread again!

On a serious note, I wouldn't mind if they did because it'd mean more ships. However, that's so much more money I'd be spending on new factions...Would certainly love the clone gunship though. I'd much rather like to see a ground based game first (another thread that pops up every other week)

Look, this thread again!

Yes, topics do get recycled. I imagine that this is because new people don't do searches and feel that this place is welcoming of their questions, even if they didn't do their research.

I think that it is good for more long-standing forummers to not groan and roll their eyes (or answer questions with a flat 'no'). Let's be welcoming to new people.

If the old timers feel that they've already sufficiently contributed to a certain topic in other threads, there's nothing that says they have to do so again in a new thread.

I just wish it was easier to search your own thread replies...if it was easier to search/copy/paste or repost to an old thread we'd probably get more quality responses.  The longer and more you post here, the harder it is to find your gems of wisdom.

"are they going to make Clone wars"

Nope.

This is an another edition of shor Nah, only works when Vorpal does it.

But seriously, Disney has cancelled the Clone Wars series and there are no developments on anything from that time period. A lot of Dark Times, but for the moment they're burying Clone Wars, likely to play off the much greater popularity of the OT for their new release.

Edited by Lagomorphia

My vote is for a separate, but compatible, game called Jedi Starfighter. The factions, of course, would be Republic and Separatist, and the upgrades could be usable in X-Wing to entice X-Wing players to buy in. However, Lucasfilm doesn't seem to have much interest in promoting the Clone Wars era at the moment.

I loved the Starfighter games. I know I'm not in very good or very large company in that regard, but they could be a gold mine of ships:

Starfighter

Jedi Starfighter

I didn't check sizes or anything to see if they were even smaller than the CR90 or anything, but there they are. I know there are plenty that I'd like to see.

X-Wing Miniature gamers generally seem to be "old" compared to the general Clone Wars audience. I am sure a lot of people here enjoyed Clone Wars but we are not the main audience. I just don't see a lot of us buying into it - and maybe that's why you can find Clone Wars computer games and LEGO sets but not (that I know of) miniature games.

I saw Star Wars in the theaters in '77. I think that qualifies me as old.

I really like Clone Wars.

Well, maybe I should clarify; I like the ORIGINAL Clone Wars. You know? The Tartakovsky ones that Lucas saw fit to overwrite so he could include a Togruta Hannah Monatana and get more girls interested in Star Wars? (And how did that all work out for everyone?)

There were episodes of the CGI series that were good, but, in general, it was a serious mistake in several ways.

There were Prequel ships in WotC's Starship Battles miniatures game.

I saw Star Wars in the theaters in '77. I think that qualifies me as old.

Well, I saw Star Wars at a drive in in '77, and I still consider myself young.

Personally I didn't much like the Tartakovsky clone wars but thought the newer clone wars cartoon was, for the most part very good (except for 4th season, WTF happened?!). For the most part they did very smart story lines, formatted for kids, but still mature. And Ashoka really grew as a character throughout the series. I was really surprised and happy with what they did with her at the end.

If you're going to keep a product line growing... especially looking at least 10 years down the line... you have to do kids stuff.  The kids stuff is already in place but you're going to have to do it again, and pretty soon, to KEEP your audience growing (or at least replacing the ones you lose).  So your options are: go with what is already working, or create something new and hope it works too.  Clone Wars is working still despite it's cancellation, for a very large (and soon to be spending money) portion of the population Clone Wars IS Star Wars.

As someone who has been generally against prequel era ships being included (or rather, not against it but just not having much interest in buying such a product) I have recently been coming around to the idea.

My preferred method of doing it, however, would be to make it as a new (but compatible) game.  Take whatever factions would be logical, release their own core set and expansions, but keep the base rules the same and design them with the idea that they can be used to oppose the original Rebel and imperial factions from X-wing miniatures.  Personally, I would support the idea that upgrade cards and such be limited to the factions of their era, to avoid mixing characters and such from the two eras/trilogies and avoid the mixture of factions and eras on an allied force that you might see in Star Trek Attack Wing that many people do not like.  It would also give the designers a chance to work in a smaller game space and design cards for the new factions without worrying too much over interactions with the massive pool of cards from the Rebel and Imperial factions,  and players who are not interested in buying prequel ships to not feel like they are missing out on the upgrade cards.

Essentially, you gain the possibilty to explore new options in what would be a 4+ faction game.  Some players might not like the idea of prequel era ships being designed with equal combat potential, but I think as long as you avoid stuff like Padme or Jar Jar Binks crew on OT-era ships most people would be able to deal with it.  Tournament players would get a 4-faction game to play around with, and anyone who wants to run purely Rebel vs Imperial or Republic vs Separatists can do so.

Just my thoughts on how I would go about implementing prequel ships.

I agree. If they were to do CW era stuff, a separate but fully compatible game would be the way to go.

FFG also has a history of doing thus sort of thing with their role playing games, where they gave multiple games for both SW and 40K.

As someone who has been generally against prequel era ships being included (or rather, not against it but just not having much interest in buying such a product) I have recently been coming around to the idea.

My preferred method of doing it, however, would be to make it as a new (but compatible) game.  Take whatever factions would be logical, release their own core set and expansions, but keep the base rules the same and design them with the idea that they can be used to oppose the original Rebel and imperial factions from X-wing miniatures.  Personally, I would support the idea that upgrade cards and such be limited to the factions of their era, to avoid mixing characters and such from the two eras/trilogies and avoid the mixture of factions and eras on an allied force that you might see in Star Trek Attack Wing that many people do not like.  It would also give the designers a chance to work in a smaller game space and design cards for the new factions without worrying too much over interactions with the massive pool of cards from the Rebel and Imperial factions,  and players who are not interested in buying prequel ships to not feel like they are missing out on the upgrade cards.

Essentially, you gain the possibilty to explore new options in what would be a 4+ faction game.  Some players might not like the idea of prequel era ships being designed with equal combat potential, but I think as long as you avoid stuff like Padme or Jar Jar Binks crew on OT-era ships most people would be able to deal with it.  Tournament players would get a 4-faction game to play around with, and anyone who wants to run purely Rebel vs Imperial or Republic vs Separatists can do so.

Just my thoughts on how I would go about implementing prequel ships.

You wouldn't have to worry about characters being in the wrong time period, named people all all faction specific aren't they? You'd need new versions of the droids though...