Sign in to follow this  
MacrossVF1

[Commission paintjob] Kath Scarlet's Firespray

****. Have I started something of a commission storm? That was not quite my intention. Anyway let's start with paint related questions first.

That's lovely! Did you strip it first of paint over the Slave 1 colours?

No stripping, just a repaint straight over the original colours though I did file down the gloss cockpit window and remove mould lines first. I will post a paint guide on my blog later.

That looks amazing. The repainted Slave I looks great too.

E

Actually that one is the standard factory paintjob. I like to include a standard model for comparison

Everyone curious about the commission part: Let me start by being brutally honest. I might not be the best option. You see, I live in Sweden, so any commission outside of Europe (and even inside Europe in some cases) can get pricey in terms of postage. As for the above commission, I earned about 13 euro or 18 $ but bear in mind that I am fairly new to commissions (most of my previous commission jobs has been for friends and my local gaming club) so the commissioner got a big discount due to what I perceived as my own inexperience. I suppose I would normally charge about 17-25 euro or 25-34 $ for a job of this size, it's really hard to say.

I hate to screw the next guy in line - but you are absolutely not charging enough. 

Most of the guys around here charge near to that amount for small ships / small 40k miniatures. Especially done with that level of quality. 

Maybe it is the other guys charging too much? In any case, as I stated before I'm fairly new to commission painting and I feel it will probably benefit me more in the long run by setting the price too low, at least to begin with. Besides, I'm not really into commission painting for the 'big money' but rather because I enjoy painting and modelling. I'm happy if I can make some money from my hobby and it helps fuel my ongoing addiction to plastic crack. :D

Very nice job! Thanks for the painting guide, I was looking to paint mine as well. I have limited skills but can do a decent job if guided through.

If I was a painter looking to make money, I would just buy the Ship, paint it, and throw it on ebay