Sign in to follow this  
Anarchium

The Next Expansion

The model thus far has been based on expanding Expedition locations. If this is continued, we'll probably see an Amazon Horror and a Secrets of the Himalayas which links to Tunguska.

Alternatively expansions could be based on continents, in which case Europe has to be high up on the list, preferably with some kind of Orient Express option. In this argument Australia also seems likely due to the story The shadow out of time. A boat route from Port Hedland (Western coats of Australia) to Cape Town really ought to exist, given the significance of that location in the Masks of Nyarlathotep.

I can't imagine an Arkham-based expansion - although many of the stories are set there, you've already got Arkham Horror to cover that ground. New York, a nascent Los Angeles or even some kind of Bradbury inspired mid-America Green Town would interest me more.

One thing I would like to see is an expanded board which contained all the sideboards in one place. In EH, your main enemy is time - you've got a limited amount of time, so if you want to go and explore Stonehenge or the Nile instead of going to the next clue or closing that gate, then go right ahead. More options is a good thing.

As for the Dreamlands, it'll be a separate game if it happens. Personally I'd recommend the Arkham Nightmare for Arkham Horror in the intervening time.

You could also make a case for a decent Hyboria co-op game here. The REH stories are nominally linked in with the HPL ones - the authors certainly wrote for the same audience.

as much as i would LOVE to see a dreamlands expansion, that kind of seems like it's own game, and i'm pretty sure we'll probably get Innsmouth for our next expansion, or hey maybe a huge Arkham map. Still, the places visited so far in Eldritch differ from those of Arkham Horror. Almost like they were going for the places we didn't see in AH, and the Investigators we didn't get to play with in the Core Set of AH.

It's extremely likely the next big box is Dreamlands. You may want to look at this post here on BGG: the coded messages found in Under the Pyramids seem to point in that direction. If we consider that:

- the first messages suggested Nyarly, and we have a Dark Pharaoh in UtP

- then we got messages pointing at Hastur, and here we have the Carcosa expansion

- the last coded messages are pointing at the Dreamlands, so, I'd not be surprised to see Dreamlands arriving after Hastur

Thanks Julia! I always wondered about those coded messages on the cards, but would inevitably just forget about them during the course of the game. Great stuff.

Certainly seems to me that they're building slowly, deliberately and dramatically toward Nyarly. As an AO, the King in Yellow/Hastur (who I'm looking forward to so much) might well bring much more foreshadowing.

As an aside to Jake yet again - you mention not imagining an expansion set around Arkham as there's Arkham Horror, but what about those of us who haven't played Arkham Horror? It would be strange for EH to avoid such a pivotal location just because another game, albeit one with close blood-ties if you like, has covered it. As I've said before, I'd love to see a side-board focused purely on Arkham. It's just a matter of personal interest of course, and there's all the room in the world (quite literally) for EH to expand on.

I'm under the impression that Hastur does not like Nyarlathotep, as in "The Whisperer in Darkness" the Mi-Go talk about Hastur and his ilk with disrespect and hate, and the Mi-Go themselves are followers of Nyarlathotep. Also, it was alluded to by Derleth, that Hastur was banished to the Hyades, i believe by the Outer Gods, but at this moment i'm too lazy to google it. -_- Nyarlathotep also is  HUGE part of "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath", and it seems like everyone is trying to capture Carter to bring him to Nyarlathotep. Some people even believe the Yellow Masked man to be an Avatar of Nyarlathotep himself, or at least under his control. I might just be on a Dreamlands binge, with going through all of the dream cycle stuff, and also reading the Call of Cthulhu RPG Dreamlands stuff at the moment.. but i really just want to go there..

I guess there is always lucid dreaming :P

i don't think Eldritch will ignore Arkham, or decide not to cover things first covered by AH. If Fantasy Flight releases Eldritch Horror expansions for the next 10 years, then i'll be buying 10 years worth of expansions. so, they have a lot of room to grow the game, for us Lovecraft obsessed.

The impression I get is that eventually EH will replace AH. From a gamer's point of view it makes sense, after all at this stage anyone who hasn't bought AH isn't likely to. You have the majority player base to thank for that, in much the same way Dark Souls players scare off would-be gamers by banging on about how hard the game is. I cannot count how many AH forums I've visited and been met with "AH is a hardcore game, it's long and hard and complex and you probably won't like it".

And from a business point of view it makes sense, FFG has all the content they need, and with a few tweaks they have a good 4 or 5 expansions for EH pretty much waiting for them. Why wouldn't they "re-release" content for the newer more popular game, let's all be honest with ourselves... it's money in the bank. That said I can also imagine FFG releasing a new board at some point, maybe not anytime soon but in the near future we might see a revised board with more locations, maybe a little smaller to allow for multiple sideboards etc. etc. Not to mention, I don't know about the rest of you, but mine is starting to see ware on the folds.

I get the impression EH has a long life cycle in FFG's eyes, longer than AH, and with that in mind it would be insane for them to ignore some pretty big and obvious expansions.

While I disagree with many of your assumptions, I fully support this conclusion:

Just to clarify, I don't agree that AH is too hard or long etc. I'm just saying I've seen more players be negative about the AH experience than positive, even those players who love it.

I don't think an arkham expansion will ever happen for EH.

The distances between city locations doesn't match the distances between the current map locations. You'd have one investigator crossing the Antarctic while another nips down to the old curiosity shop... it doesn't make sense.

The only way it would work is if you replaced the main board, in which case you would just be playing arkham horror.

With both arkham horror and elder sign allowing the same investigators to go around arkham I don't think there is a pressing need to bring an arkham expansion to eldritch.

I do like the idea of a DreamWorks expansion but I'm not sure if I would prefer a side board or a replacement main board.

I hope they don't continue with the pattern of large box expansions having an Expedition Space sideboard.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll buy and enjoy whatever they put out for the game, but I don't think the Amazon or Tunguska feel like the next most essential Mythos locations.

I agree that having a sideboard of one particular city would be out of scale with the rest of the game and very likely won't  and shouldn't be done.

What I think could and should be done is a New England/Lovecraft Country sideboard.  Other games are other games, and a Mythos game that can zoom in on Egypt but not on the Lovecraftian heartland would feel incomplete to me.

Speaking of Egypt,  the New England board would probably be similar in that many of the spaces are connected by local paths to the hub of Arkham. The spaces that seem necessary to me would be: Dunwich (as a wilderness space for the true decrepit rural experience), Innsmouth (perhaps with its own Patron Ancient One Dagon?) and the Vermont Hills (for the Mi-Go to hang out in).

Other possible spaces would be: 

Devil's Reef/Y'ha-nthlei as the first Sea space on a sideboard (has the problem of being awkwardly close to Innsmouth to be its own space...also the idea of investigators just kind of "hanging out" there is a little odd--but if there were a Deep One themed Ancient One of some sort, I think it might be important enough to let it be its own space--plus I think a New England Sideboard probably should have a Sea space, no?)

Salem and/or Kingsport.  It seems like we just need one quaint, relatively lovely little town with a deep, dark history of both actual witchcraft AND the state sponsored murder of innocents out of fear of witchcraft (maybe I'm showing my ignorance about one or both locations to lump them together like that).  Between the two Salem has instant name recognition but Kingsport has the advantage of being a Lovecraft creation.

And the sixth space...Jerusalem's Lot, Maine?  Maybe not so likely...

I guess it depends on what you'll be doing in Arkham, or Innsmouth, or Kingsport, or any specific city really. I get what you're saying and doubt it'll come soon, if city specific expansions come at all. It all comes down to scale of time.

Let's say (without magic) that a single turn represents what, 2 days? Maybe 3. City expansion boards could allow for more things to happen during a turn whilst on them, so for example: May perform a rest action or aquire asset action for free whilst in Arkham.

But then time in EH is very vague as it is, just look at Encounter cards. One card will have you convince someone to do something, whilst another will have you plunder an ancient tomb, and then another represents a week's worth of investigation. Taking into account that constellations change, maybe a week per turn is about right. Taking into account that a game typically lasts no longer than 16-20 turns (Mythos cards) that's 4-5 months.

Bringing it back on topic therefore, is it so strange that an investigator might spend a week or two in Arkham? I don't know, I just think that (from a business point of view) FFG wouldn't ignore another 3 years worth of expansion content that's already written. Minimal effort (artwork already done and paid for, cards already outlined, just a little tweaking needed) for pure profit.

The distances between city locations doesn't match the distances between the current map locations. You'd have one investigator crossing the Antarctic while another nips down to the old curiosity shop... it doesn't make sense.

The situation described already happens in the game.

The hypothetical Arkham expansion wouldn't zoom in just on Arkham city. It would most likely feature Kingsport, Innsmouth, and Dunwich as locations. The same way Pyramids board features Cairo and Alexandria.

I hope they don't continue with the pattern of large box expansions having an Expedition Space sideboard.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll buy and enjoy whatever they put out for the game, but I don't think the Amazon or Tunguska feel like the next most essential Mythos locations.

I agree that having a sideboard of one particular city would be out of scale with the rest of the game and very likely won't  and shouldn't be done.

What I think could and should be done is a New England/Lovecraft Country sideboard.  Other games are other games, and a Mythos game that can zoom in on Egypt but not on the Lovecraftian heartland would feel incomplete to me.

Speaking of Egypt,  the New England board would probably be similar in that many of the spaces are connected by local paths to the hub of Arkham. The spaces that seem necessary to me would be: Dunwich (as a wilderness space for the true decrepit rural experience), Innsmouth (perhaps with its own Patron Ancient One Dagon?) and the Vermont Hills (for the Mi-Go to hang out in).

Other possible spaces would be: 

Devil's Reef/Y'ha-nthlei as the first Sea space on a sideboard (has the problem of being awkwardly close to Innsmouth to be its own space...also the idea of investigators just kind of "hanging out" there is a little odd--but if there were a Deep One themed Ancient One of some sort, I think it might be important enough to let it be its own space--plus I think a New England Sideboard probably should have a Sea space, no?)

Salem and/or Kingsport.  It seems like we just need one quaint, relatively lovely little town with a deep, dark history of both actual witchcraft AND the state sponsored murder of innocents out of fear of witchcraft (maybe I'm showing my ignorance about one or both locations to lump them together like that).  Between the two Salem has instant name recognition but Kingsport has the advantage of being a Lovecraft creation.

And the sixth space...Jerusalem's Lot, Maine?  Maybe not so likely...

I think this is an EXCELLENT suggestion and one I was coming here to post myself - a Miskatonic Valley/Lovecraft Countyr sideboard! I agree that EH would not feel complete without one and I yearn to send a group of investigators around the old haunts we know and love (and fear!)  It seems a no-brainer and an obvious choice, which is kinda why I think we'll be disappointed tbh...

Gosh, I think this is my first post here on the FFG forums! I've been a long-time boardgame player and the original CoC rpg got me into Lovecrafts writing when I was 14. Not stopped being a fan since. Hi to my fellow Cthulhu and game enthusiasts :)

The hypothetical Arkham expansion wouldn't zoom in just on Arkham city. It would most likely feature Kingsport, Innsmouth, and Dunwich as locations. The same way Pyramids board features Cairo and Alexandria.

that would make the board one of two things, massive, or boring. What's the point of going to Innsmouth if you're just going to innsmouth? I want to see the Esoteric Order of Dagon church, visit the marsh refinery, mosey on down to devil's reef.. unless..

unless..

oh, sweet Cthulhu.

....A side board within a side board....

Sideboard-ception.

What's the point of going to Innsmouth if you're just going to innsmouth?

The same as going to Cairo if you're just going to Cairo. 

Lovecraft didn't create Cairo. Besides that, only a handful of Mythos stories take place in Cairo, and on top of that only 1 Lovecraft Story took place there. What the suggestion is, is that we'd have a Sideboard with 5 or 6 locations on them. Arkham, Innsmouth, Ippswitch, Kingsport, Dunwich. . 1920's cairo had a lot going on sure, especially if you read the travel guide outlined in "Entombed with the Pharaohs" by Lovecraft. But, do we know it intimately the way we know Arkham, or Innsmouth? Hardly. It's not a Cairo sideboard, it's an Egypt Sideboard. I see where you're coming from though.

Edited by iGniGhted

that would make the board one of two things, massive, or boring. What's the point of going to Innsmouth if you're just going to innsmouth? I want to see the Esoteric Order of Dagon church, visit the marsh refinery, mosey on down to devil's reef.. unless..

unless..

oh, sweet Cthulhu.

....A side board within a side board....

Sideboard-ception.

Oooh, love it :)

I know you're only joking, but it's maybe not as unthinkable and ridiculous as it sounds at first. Would be opening one heck of a can of worms though, as if there already weren't enough possibilities for EH. I'm joking too, by the way. I think. Oh god, you've broken my fragile little mind.

(And I think we can all agree that time is highly flexible during a game of EH. It is relative after all).

Edited by Eldritch Mike

Just an idea but do you think that they would make a Back to Arkham big box expansion? I could see another board with locations from AH and its expansions like Kingsport, Innsmouth, and Dunwich. For AO's they could add the Goat from the Black Goat of the Woods.

... For AO's they could add the Goat from the Black Goat of the Woods.

We already have Shub-Niggurath in the base game. Also, i don't know how things would work if they would start making local sideboards with places from the city instead of international locations . It will be difficult to make the transition from the sideboard to the mainboard that way.

We already have Shub-Niggurath in the base game. Also, i don't know how things would work if they would start making local sideboards with places from the city instead of international locations . It will be difficult to make the transition from the sideboard to the mainboard that way.

Just got my copy of the base game in the mail today :) Realized Shub-Niggurath was in there after looking through the box. I'm so stoked to play tomorrow. I didn't realize how big the gameboard was though.

:) Glad you received it. Enjoy!

Also, i strongly suggest to begin with Azatoth for your first playthrough so that you learn the initial ropes without having too much concern over reckonings,hordes of monsters and fear of being swarmed from every corner of the earth. Leave Shubby for your second or third playthrough. 

Have fun!

I am quite sure, there will be a New England Expansion/Lovecraft Country, it is just too essential for the world of the mythos and the entire works of HPL to ignore it completely. But I am also very sure, there will be NO city expansions ever, it just doesn't fit into the scale of a game that covers the entire globe. If there will be Arkham it will be part of a board that covers a far larger area and includes probably not only Dunwich and Innsmouth but also REAL locations like Providence and Boston. Both are places which play roles in the stories and life of HPL and they are far more important than for example Ipswich and are also considered part of "Lovecraft Country". AO that fit into this expansion include 

I don't think we will see a big expansion with the Himalayas, they don't play an important role in the stories of HPL, the same for the Amazon and also I can't imagine 6 locations that would make up a good "Heart of Africa"-board. Tunguska is totally unrealistic IMHO (I don't even know any story where it is mentioned), even in combination with the Himalayas as a "Central Asia" board, no strong connection to the mythos. Australia is more realistic with the City of the Great Race but only makes sense again as a part of a larger board stretching acroos half the globe including also the locations in Oceania/South Seas, Easter Islands, the Island of Ghatanothoa, perhaps Mu and of course R'lyeh.

Edited by GBI

I am quite sure, there will be a New England Expansion/Lovecraft Country, it is just too essential for the world of the mythos and the entire works of HPL to ignore it completely. But I am also very sure, there will be NO city expansions ever, it just doesn't fit into the scale of a game that covers the entire globe. If there will be Arkham it will be part of a board that covers a far larger area and includes probably not only Dunwich and Innsmouth but also REAL locations like Providence and Boston. Both are places which play roles in the stories and life of HPL and they are far more important than for example Ipswich and are also considered part of "Lovecraft Country". AO that fit into this expansion include 

I don't think we will see a big expansion with the Himalayas, they don't play an important role in the stories of HPL, the same for the Amazon and also I can't imagine 6 locations that would make up a good "Heart of Africa"-board. Tunguska is totally unrealistic IMHO (I don't even know any story where it is mentioned), even in combination with the Himalayas as a "Central Asia" board, no strong connection to the mythos. Australia is more realistic with the City of the Great Race but only makes sense again as a part of a larger board stretching acroos half the globe including also the locations in Oceania/South Seas, Easter Islands, the Island of Ghatanothoa, perhaps Mu and of course R'lyeh.

It does seem likely that if/when a sideboard is made for 'Lovecraft country' that it'd cover New England, as you say, rather than focused on any one place, but I really can't see why a sideboard couldn't be completely urban. Yes, the game covers the entire globe, but the investigators' actions and encounters don't. Most encounters, which provide the bulk of the story-telling, take place within cities.

The thematic strength of a location is an important point of course, but I think mechanically there'd be nothing wrong with it.

Edited by Eldritch Mike

I still think it's a problem of scale especially if we get to TIME and TRAVEL. In MoM we have a frozen wasteland, it is realistic, that it takes days or weeks to travel distances that are at least dozens if not hundred of miles long. Egypt is already a little different and they solved the problem by making it possible to move between 4 locations (Cairo, Tel El Amarna, the Bent Pyramid and Alexandria) once without using an action. But what should a realistic moving system work like in a city? How many moves are the time equivalent of a normal move on the main board? In theory you could visit all locations in a city board ten times in a row and still you wouldn't have the same time it takes to get from West Africa to South Africa for example or from London to Rome.

And if you can only do one or two normal movements in the city board you loose a LOT of time in these boards which you would need for the main board. Imagine moving in an Arkham City board only 4-5 times. that is only a travel from the north of the city to the south - but is the same time that is a third or quarter of the ENTIRE game time. I don't think you can introduce completely urban boards in EH and to be plain honest, we don't need them. I like the idea of a New England board with Arkham, Dunwich, Innsmouth, Boston, Providence and a sixth location far more than another Arkham City board.

Edited by GBI

Plus, making an Arkham specific sideboard will cannibilize the audience getting Arkham Horror - both the boardgame and the LCG: these two lines investigate a microcosmos, small urban areas, or, in some cases, buildings and similar stuff, while Eldritch allows for a broader experience, on a far bigger scale. I think we could see a Lovecraft County exp board, but I'd be all in for different, more daring boards, like a Yuggoth board, or a Micronesian sideboard, and so on

Maybe a sideboard that is triggered by visiting a specific location by choice for solving a mystery. Use Arkham as an example you trigger a device and  move to an Arkham sideboard with an eldritch token on each location ,encounter the locations to gain a token to advance the mystery when its solved send everyone back to the main board. The board would be used sporadically but timing would be important and the time and distance issues disappear as you are all on the same scale. This is a rough and ready outline that I am sure someone could improve on.