Sign in to follow this  
Anarchium

The Next Expansion

We know Hastur is 'confirmed' via code,

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1079338/anyone-crack-code-yet/page/4

it can be assumed he will be in the next Big Box Expansion, similar to Mount of Madns.

Also, since he and Nyarlathotep are so popular in the Mythos, and are much more subtle characters, it would make sense for them to be in the same expansion. Not to mention the fact that they were both referenced through ciphers.

Since Hastur has no 'classic location' like the Elder Things and Antarctica, and since I doubt (hope) they wont try and work a Carcosa Mini-Board in, we could infer that the mini-board for Hastur/Nyarl Expansion is Egypt, due to the Black Pharaoh and Egypt being an Expedition location.

If this is right, we could be looking at at least 3 more Big Box Expansions, Amazon, Heart of Africa, and Himalayas. Perhaps Shudde M'ell for Africa, as he's already been referenced in some Encounter Cards, but I can't think of a particularly 'Amazon-y' or 'Himalayas-y' OA. Yig is already in use.

Edited by Peter Egham

Chaugnar-Faughn could be jungle, hence Amazon. As for Hymalayas... dunno. Rlim maybe?

Also, Rlim was mentioned in the MoM Expansion. A Sea Clue for Ithaqua mentions the Great White Worm, which means that he is in the game. Aphoom Zhah might be the great old one, with one mystery being following Rlim's iceberg 'Yiklith' around the sea, and a few others are climbign the mountains.

If Aphoom Zhah is introduced, Chaugnar-Faughn might also be in.

Edited by Peter Egham

Aphoom was created in 1985, hence it's not public domain. I don't see FFG buying the rights from Lin Carter just to add this guy to the pool... just my 2 cents on the matter, of course

Aphoom was created in 1985, hence it's not public domain. I don't see FFG buying the rights from Lin Carter just to add this guy to the pool... just my 2 cents on the matter, of course

Sorry, you're right. Pity - but I suppose Ithaqua was enough Cold-Based AO for now.

Since Antarctica gave us 'Exposure - Hypothermia' do you think Egypt (Side Board for Nyarlathotep possibly) will give us 'Exposure - Heat Stroke'? Sun Burn seems a little minor, but Heat Stroke could lower Will or Lore like 'Frostbite' lowers Strength. Just to confirm, Egypt is not confirmed, it just makes sense for Nyarlathotep/Black Pharaoh.

Edited by Peter Egham

Chaugnar-Faughn could be jungle, hence Amazon.

I was looking for information regarding Combat Encounters, and I stumbled across something interesting.

On Page 13 of the base rulebook, is an extract from a newspaper.

MUSEUM ROBBERY LEAVE(S) GRISLY AFTERMATH

It details a break in, in which - according to the photo beside it - an ornate elephant-god statue was stolen - all six guards were killed by large unknown breeds of animals.

The author of this article?

Rex Murphy, Private Investigator.

Behind it is a detailed Aztec Mural. Amazon?

Thoughts?

Edited by Peter Egham

Summary of Potential Nyarlathotep

Egypt Mini-Map (Locations like Great Pyramid, Sphinx, Temple of Nephren-Ka, Giza, Outpost)

Exposure - Dehydration/Heat Stroke

New Relics - introduced in Strange Remnants - as seen in the Dark Pharaoh Expansion. (Book of Anubis, Chime of Ra, Mask of Wisdom/Vice/Three Fates)

New Enemies - Mask Monsters (Bloated Lady, God of Bloody Tongue, Skinless One, and Dark Pharaoh) 1 additional Mummy, Dimensional Shambler/Yithian (To pad numbers) Servitor of the Outer Gods.

Egypt location deck - Split like MoM, accesible areas like Giza and Pyramid, more bizarre like Sphinx and Temple of Nephren-Ka.

Mysteries - Something surrounding defeat a set amount of Mask Monsters, Spending Clues and Specific Relic, and a Deck of Exploring a location (Temple/Sphinx) Like R'lyeh/Hyperborea

With all this, I doubt/hope Hastur is not also included, as they would be too cramped.

More minor AO might be Cthugha, and if so Fire Vampire is included, as well as more chances for Dehydration.

Again, all prospective but I'd like to get a prediction out now, before anythings announced. Also, if this isn't the place for this kind of theorizing, sorry.

Edited by Peter Egham

If the FFG is going to stick to their current criteria for selecting investigators (all are from Arkham Horror, none are from the core game), those are the only 8 investigators available for the next big box:

• Rita Young (Athlete)
  • Luke Robinson (Dreamer)
  • Rex Murphy (Reporter)
  • Wendy Adams (Urchin)
  • Hank Samson (Farmhand)
  • Minh Thi Phan (Secretary)
  • Roland Banks (Fed)
  • William Yorick (Gravedigger)

Also these are the things they haven't tried yet:
  • An investigator that starts with an Artifact.
  • An investigator that starts with a Character Unique Asset.
  • An investigator that starts delayed.
  • An investigator that starts with focus tokens. (Not sure about this one.)
  • An investigator that starts with tickets. (Not sure about this one.)
  • An investigator that starts on a sideboard. (Not likely.)
  • An investigator that starts with a condition.
  • An investigator that has a reckoning effect.
Edited by tsuma534

What I would like to see in this game, that is union encounter. I mean when 2 or more investigators pass 1 encounter together! Should be really tough ones so team try to use all their skills to pass. Maybe it will brake the maim flow of the game but…. Sounds very cool!

I just want to see a New England sideboard. Seriously, I don't find an egypt sideboard THAT interesting.
As for investigators. I hope to see Harvey walters (when he comes, of course) with a leg injury condition every reckoning as his passive ability, with the upside of a very good action or very good stats to begin with (4+2 lore anyone?)

Speaking of side boards, my main desire would be for the Dreamlands.  Just as they used At the Mountains of Madness for the Antartica sideboard, they could create a Dreamlands side board based on The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.  To make it easy to travel too, envision an "Dreamlands Deck" that specifies a location (say Ulthar) that you can travel to via any any open gate on the main board.

That type of expansion would be great also for Elder Sign. This said, considering (*) we are witnessing a lot of "old dreams" come true, I'm confident sooner or later something Dreamlands related will see the light

(*) = darn autocorrect!! Sorry, it was unreadable

Edited by Julia

I made a brief search to find evidence for Chaugnar Faugn belonging in the Amazon, but just found more supporting Himalayas - or at least, more so than the Amazon at least.

The Miri-Nigri that serve him are the ancestors of the Tcho-Tcho, who are said to have originated from Burma - nearer Himalayas than Amazon.

I suppose a Himalayas side board would also be good, but I fear it would be too similar to Antarctica, from a gameplay perspective. Thematically I'm aware there are very different stories connected to them - though both have a plateau of leng in them, so... 

Apologies if I've missed any mention of it in earlier posts, but as concerns the next side-board I'd put my money on Arkham. Not sure which AO's would accompany it (Yog-Sothoth being perhaps the most thematically tied to it through the Dunwich horror), but a miniature city board would be a great variation on what we already have and I'd love to see it.

That said, I'd also love to see side-boards for the otherworld realms, as you guys have discussed. They'd add a tonne of flavour with huge potential for weird and wonderful mechanics. Given how much room there is on the main board to expound on, however, we'd be talking a whole lot of side-boards!

Not that I wouldn't buy all of them:D

I rhink dreamlands will be perfect. We need more theme about a gates. At this point of the game other world encounters is not change much and become really boring in my opinion! We need refresh gates and other world encounters. To get to dreamland we need to dive in the gate and hope it will lead us there….

I don't think FF is make any expiations about the other world location soon, if you look what they did for the big boxs.

There are still a couple of expiation locations to go after the artic en de pyramids, I hoop its on the Amazon for the next big box expansion.