Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anarchium

The Next Expansion

255 posts in this topic

Oh, I'll fully admit that EH has flaws. I find it too random, for one. But then, I come from strategy and roleplaying games, where we usually try to eliminate that.

As for repetitiveness of the mysteries... I'd say there's more than three types. Let's try to classify them...

*Go to place, do special encounter set

*Do research, gather clues. Subsets: go to location, then spend clues.

*Close gates, and variants

*Kill monsters. Subset: kill epic monster, kill number of monsters

*Find specific artefact, often in combination with special encounter, kill monster or spend clues.

That's five types. Not great, I'll admit. Still... I'm not sure how one would improve this. I mean, look at Arkham. THere's one and just one win condition, close gates. I still prefer having several.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:07 PM, Matt620 said:

Hmmm...so if we have the four from MoM, and the one from the card game, I wonder which three occupations could be left? 

Gonna go out on a limb and say...a pilot? A banker? Anyone else got any ideas. 

I would like to see a big game hunter(something like that jumanji dude),a Ninja or a Mechanic.

The idea of the pilot sounds interesting.

We could go all in.

I can bust out my entire EH and AH collection and compare items,effects,monsters... and determine which one is more random through numbers and statistics.

I'd be down for that.

3 hours ago, Runko said:

We could go all in.

I can bust out my entire EH and AH collection and compare items,effects,monsters... and determine which one is more random through numbers and statistics.

I'd be down for that.

That'd be interesting... if you didn't end up in Arkham Asylum in the process!

The tough thing to accurately account for would be the availablility of "randomness mitigation".  I suspect that Julia is right that EH is more random than AH (though to what extent is arguable), but I also think mitigation methods are slightly easier to obtain in EH (but not by much).  Clues are easier to obtain in AH, but it takes a lot more of those clues to close gates and win the game, so it's probably a wash.  The focus mechanic in EH makes re-rolls very easy to obtain, but it also creates a potential "trap" for players who spend too many actions on Focus tokens.  Hanging out in Rome for a couple turns gives you a good chance of getting Blessed in EH, but there are locations in AH that do the same.  

As far as "randomness" in terms of predicting what skills you'll need in certain encounters and what you'll get from those encounters, it feels like a wash to me.  The 9 cities in EH have become more random in what they give as expansions have come out, but in my opinion, we're better off for it.  I want to have an idea of what will likely come out of an encounter, not for sure what will.  AH's locations are no different (I don't have nearly as many plays of AH under my belt as EH, but those icons on the spaces that supposedly tell you a "most likely result" seemed nearly useless in most of my games).  As far as randomness in the OW cards... I'd wager that the majority are still Lore/Will related (I'd be curious if that's actually the case still, though!), but there's definitely plenty with Str and Inf.  I'm not sure how that's much worse than the OW encounters in AH, where you know you're going to spend 2-3 turns doing completely random things.  For players who don't tirelessly memorize what allies and what cards will show up in which deck in AH, I do think EH has the edge though in some ways in that you know, for instance, that there's a high chance that if you're doing a city encounter (particularly a generic one) you'll need Inf (or Obs) and most Research encounters will use Lore and Obs (except for frickin' Atlach-Nacha and her stupid "Don't have a spell?  No clue for you!!!" crap).

Anyway, I'm rambling, so... TL;DR: That'd be an awesome thought experiment, Runko!  :D

Edited by KBlumhardt

I only have the expansions up to Signs of Carcosa, but I'd be willing to go through the other worlds and sum up skill tests. Sounds interesting. Pretty sure they'd go something like Lore-Will-Observation-Influence-Strength in frequency, anyway.