Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Boss Red Seven

Imperial HUGE Ships...I'm Calling It.

2,476 posts in this topic

When are you most likely to announce the Empire Epic ship types for X-wing miniatures?

Sergovan:

We never talk about possible upcoming things before they’re officially announced. That includes speculation on the timing of the announcement.

Best,

Jeremy Stomberg
Operations Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

They won't even comment on when they would possibly comment... :blink:

Edited by Sergovan

But they can comment about when they can comment.

Bytheway, you might be interested in this:

100_1590a_zpsa72ceade.jpg

Here’s my initial paint job on the Imperial Gozanti.  Darker gray with light gray places on the top, the ventral side is entirely light gray.  I’ve discovered that the imperial version doesn’t have the antenna dishes on the ventral side so I’ll probably remove them, and because this is a freighter I made some cargo containers out of card stock which fits where the TIEs dock.  Still need to do touchups and some washes on her. Was thinking of adding a little bit of color, maybe a stripe.

When are you most likely to announce the Empire Epic ship types for X-wing miniatures?

Sergovan:

We never talk about possible upcoming things before they’re officially announced. That includes speculation on the timing of the announcement.

Best,

Jeremy Stomberg
Operations Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Honestly, what did you expect?

Announcements are planned and made for a reason.

Sergovan:

Best,

Jeremy Stomberg
Operations Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Honestly, what did you expect?

Announcements are planned and made for a reason.

Just reminding them that we are still waiting on an announcement that they will be made, not that they are ready to go to the printers.

It is the one dark spot on the X-wing line that I'm still waiting for them to fix. I have a feeling that they got the Tantive in mind to put into play and then couldn't figure out how to get the Empire Huge ship sorted out so they are still working on it. That goes against their current wave style of balanced building for both sides at the same time. They built for one side only, and that imbalance is showing. There just doesn't seem to be a desire to correct it anytime soon.

And they just compounded the problem by having introduced another faction. What huge ship(s) will they get?

They should have made an Empire version of the CR-90 and Empire crew for it. That would have solved the imbalance problem. They could still take this option as it is only a pack of cards that would be needed to make it work.

They should have made an Empire version of the CR-90 and Empire crew for it. That would have solved the imbalance problem. They could still take this option as it is only a pack of cards that would be needed to make it work.

Repainting one thing and calling it another is a cheap fix at best. Might as well have Imperial X-Wings and an Evil Falcon painted black with a red cockpit. See that neat wedge-shaped thing up there? That Mel is selling? That's probably in the works, thanks to a TV show. Just be patient, and if you really need one now, I'm sure Mel would love it if you ordered... let's say twelve.

Darthfish and Sergovan like this

Repainting one thing and calling it another is a cheap fix at best. Might as well have Imperial X-Wings and an Evil Falcon painted black with a red cockpit. See that neat wedge-shaped thing up there? That Mel is selling? That's probably in the works, thanks to a TV show. Just be patient, and if you really need one now, I'm sure Mel would love it if you ordered... let's say twelve.

The difference is that CR-90s have been well established as used by both factions (mostly because the CR-90s are fairly small and easy to steal and/or have a crew decide to defect) Same with Neb-Bs.  X-wings were never gonna be used by the Imperial Navy, and of course we have to remember that the "Falcon" is basically just a modified YT-1300 which was a popular civilian ship so while it would feel "off" to have an Imperial YT-1300 logically it wouldn't be as big of a breach of fluff as people would make it out to be

VanorDM and Plainsman like this

I concur that it's possible ffg likely hadn't planned out the balance of an imperial epic class product. But I also believe there is a distinct possibility that they actually did and when they went to get final approval for the Gozanti they were put on hold by Disney. And if the Gozanti was out on hold they just put its sister epic class on hold with it. The only delay I see now is the back logged release schedule of Scum, Armada, and possibly some influence from as far away as Imperial assault forcing them to hold its announcement until one or more of those products is released. Fortunately for the Scum players there will be a epic play list available at launch thanks to the Aggressor and it's four IG-88 pilots. Safe to bet that the droid quartet will be a common pick among team epic lists as it only requires each player in the team to buy two of them which wouldn't be too much a burden considering that will be a common standard list anyway (I hope it will anyway)

Edited for huge typo

Edited by ForceSensitive
Mikael Hasselstein likes this

You see the size of the Snowspeeder in that picture (relative to the man). Anyone who thinks the A-Wing in X-Wing is to scale because it matches the original models obviously thinks a snow speeder should be the size of a Y-Wing then, eh?

Edited by mazz0

I concur that it's possible ffg likely hadn't planned out the balance of an imperial epic class product. But I also believe there is a distinct possibility that they actually did and when they went to get final approval for the Gozanti they were put on hold by Disney. And if the Gozanti was out on hold they just put its sister epic class on hold with it. The only delay I see now is the back logged release schedule of Scum, Armada, and possibly some influence from as far away as Imperial assault forcing them to hold its announcement until one or more of those products is released.

This strikes me as the most-likely scenario. They can only release so much so fast, and - honeslty - an even faster release schedule would be a mistake. With this slow-drip release (which really isn't all that slow - at all - and it's faster than it used to be), those of us who can afford to keep up financially are driven to buy the stuff that's outside our favorite faction.

I bought a CR-90, even though I almost never play rebels. Why did I buy it? Because they didn't come out with the Imperial Huge, and I still want to be part of the epic-playing scene (even if all my opportunities really haven't panned out since I got it over a month ago). When the Imperial Huge comes out, I'll probably get it too, and so I'll have bought two huge ships, rather than just the one that I would have bought if they'd announced the Imperial Huge at Gencon.

Now, their rationale may not be on the demand side at all, and just on the production/supply side of the equation. Maybe they're working as fast as they can while maintaining quality control.

The difference is that CR-90s have been well established as used by both factions (mostly because the CR-90s are fairly small and easy to steal and/or have a crew decide to defect) Same with Neb-Bs.  X-wings were never gonna be used by the Imperial Navy, and of course we have to remember that the "Falcon" is basically just a modified YT-1300 which was a popular civilian ship so while it would feel "off" to have an Imperial YT-1300 logically it wouldn't be as big of a breach of fluff as people would make it out to be

You're basing this on the old video games, right? Where they rolled out the Neb B and CR90 b/c they couldn't be bothered/weren't allowed to come up with any original ships? Well, we're past the 16-bit era, my friend. Now there are a ton of designs to play with, and we don't have to settle for Darth Han's Evil Palette-Swap Special. You can if you want, but you don't have to.

Plus, all the EU fluff is out the window, so it kinda depends on whether Emperor Mickey says it's okay.

You're basing this on the old video games, right? Where they rolled out the Neb B and CR90 b/c they couldn't be bothered/weren't allowed to come up with any original ships? Well, we're past the 16-bit era, my friend. Now there are a ton of designs to play with, and we don't have to settle for Darth Han's Evil Palette-Swap Special. You can if you want, but you don't have to.

Plus, all the EU fluff is out the window, so it kinda depends on whether Emperor Mickey says it's okay.

Never played those old Video Games, I am basing it on the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels saying the the Nebulon-B was designed by the Empire to protect convoys against Rebel starfighter attacks.  The EU mentions the CR-90s being used by Zinsj (an Imperial) during his campaign against the New Republic.

Also if you are one of those guys that says everything that previously "happened" didn't unless the Disney says otherwise, we can also use a very rare commodity on the internet, logic.  Almost every revolutionary/rebel/insurgent force in the history of the world uses weapons that they didn't design and/or buy but stole from others sources usually the people they are fighting against.  The percentage of stolen arms increases dramatically when it comes to naval vessels (a good example being Jon Paul Jones and the Continental Navy) and armored vehicles (ISIS today stealing from the Iraqi/Syrian armies).  If this takes place in the real world (which Star Wars happens to be loosely related too) then it is only logical to assume that the Rebels steal from the Empire (which they confirm that they at least steal small arms in the Rebels Premiere)

I would like to see Mobquet medium transport,

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mobquet_medium_transport

and Suprosa on one of the cards.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Suprosa

The Mobquet is a good shout for an Imperial transport option - similar in size to a GR-75, but lightly armed so could paly slightly differently.

I still think the "Best Friends Forever" would be a good option as well - especially if we got a modular ship with cargo containers that could be used separately as objectives or obstacles as well...

Shaidown likes this

Neb B won't be released as Imperial - while it's an impy design it's always seen in use by the Rebs.

Bah, humbug.  In the films, maybe - but Thrawn and Zaarin say hello.  The EU is not dead until WE SAY IT IS!

Revanchist likes this

Neb B won't be released as Imperial - while it's an impy design it's always seen in use by the Rebs.

Bah, humbug.  In the films, maybe - but Thrawn and Zaarin say hello.  The EU is not dead until WE SAY IT IS!

Oh I know. Indeed I once wrote a campaign for XvT where you are part of a TIE squadron attached to a neb B.

Doesn't change how they are seen though.

An Imperial CR90 card will prove me wrong.

I want to be proven wrong.

Edited by DariusAPB
FTS Gecko likes this

Also if you are one of those guys that says everything that blah blah blah getting too excited

Cool your jets. Bottom line is I just want to see cool imperial ships, not boring repackaged repaints (or Space Dongs) People can subscribe to whatever fluff they want.

Edited by BenderIsGreat
melminiatures likes this

An Imperial CR90 card will prove me wrong.  I want to be proven wrong.

Yep, I was really surprised they didn't include Imperial cards and crew in the Tantive box from the start - allowing Imperial players to use the model (and have some unique upgrades) would have increased themarket for the model and probably the number of people playing Epic as well.

I'm still thinking (and hoping for) a proper scale, compared to the fighters, gozanti (1:270 I believe) is the best option for the gr-75 analogue.

An imperial customs corvette to compare to the tantive iv

I think the Gozanti is odds-on favorite at the moment for the Imperials.  The only troublesome part is it's scale - it it's going to carry TIE's a la Rebels, then it will pretty much need to be 1/270 scale.

A Rebel Transport-type box with the Imperial Gozanti and the Inquisitor's TIE Advanced seems custom made for an Imperial Epic play announcement...

I dunno i still recon the Goz looks too small having seen it in rebels.

Yeah.  Mel's looks good, but Mel's is oversized compared to the "official" stats.  At full 1/270 scale it should just work.