Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Boss Red Seven

Imperial HUGE Ships...I'm Calling It.

2,476 posts in this topic

I don't think having the gozanti repair ties is necessary, but it's a cool idea if it can be made to work.  

Another alternative is to just allow it to bring two tie fighter reinforcements along for 'free'.  You pay the point cost of the gozanti, and you get all of its special abilities, plus you get two extra whatever-squadron pilots at no extra point cost that can each launch whenever you lose one of your other ships...

In some sense the cost of the tie fighters is rolled in to the cost of the gozanti, but the mechanics are a bit different (ties are protected until launched or cruiser destroyed), and the point cost of the cruiser can be freely adjusted by the game designers.

TIE Fighter repair would be cool. Especially with a ship that can provide aircraft carrier-type functionality.

It's possible that there'll be an Imperial Gonzanti for GenCon.

But here's the thing. Last year, when they announced Rebel Huge Ships, it took 8 months.

Do we think it'll be the same this time around?

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

TIE Fighter repair would be cool. Especially with a ship that can provide aircraft carrier-type functionality.

It's possible that there'll be an Imperial Gonzanti for GenCon.

But here's the thing. Last year, when they announced Rebel Huge Ships, it took 8 months.

Do we think it'll be the same this time around?

Yeah is is going to be cool. I think we can look for this to be the norm; a pair of Huge Ships every year, which FFG will preview at GenCon.

Last year we got two Rebs. This year we get two Imps.

In 2015 we will see a Reb and a Imp.

<_<

The idea of a carrier ship is a cool one, but time is your enemy.

1 turn to dock

1 turn for astromech to arrive

1 turn for astromech to do repairs (basically like a droid on an Xwing)

1 turn for droid to disembark your TIE...

1 turn to undock.. (maybe you're lucky to have a target close and in arc)

Still... 4 or 5 turns... game could be basically over by then...

I just dig the Gozanti, it looks cool and it has possibilities as a unit in this game.. add a TIE to the box and you can have some new pilots and some new upgrades ...

I don't see why the idea of repairing TIE fighters is such a bad one, when Rebel ships easily get repaired by astromechs, and don't even have to effectively leave the fight or sit out a round or two not shooting.

The Empire, thus far, has no way of repairing ships at all. No shield recovery. No hull recovery.

They also, before the Decimator, had no turrets, when Rebels had 3 (4 after Wave 5).

Very true.

;)

Except that the Empire has characteristically never given 2 ***** about the individual TIE, because its answer is to send out tons of them, because we can always build more cheap TIEs (and "recruit" pilots and/or grow clones), unlike the Rebels who fly junkers, and have to take care of every ship they've got to the point of repairing old CW-era fighter-bombers (those Y's with the cowlings are pretty sexy). If the Rebels stopped caring you'd get ships that fall apart as they flew, and if the Empire started caring you'd see line fighters with shields, hyperdrives, astromechs, cupholders, hot waitresses, etc. 

It's the trade off of quantity vs quality we're all familiar with by now. Expecting anything different is just pie in the sky. The Empire cares about its capital ships, not the flies that buzz around them.

Best case would be for the Gozanti to be able to ferry them in close under its shields and dump them directly into combat while screwing the enemy with a substantial EW package and lots of blaster fire. Ideally, it'd also have some anti-ship cannon to deal with CR's and GR's. 

Edited by BenderIsGreat

Best case would be for the Gozanti to be able to ferry them in close under its shields and dump them directly into combat while screwing the enemy with a substantial EW package and lots of blaster fire. Ideally, it'd also have some anti-ship cannon to deal with CR's and GR's. 

I agree this is the real meat of it.

:)

and if the Empire started caring you'd see line fighters with shields, hyperdrives, astromechs, cupholders, hot waitresses, etc.

I'm curious... does your "etc." include engine, shield and hull upgrades that the standard TIEs don't come with, but can be modified for?

No. He means if the Empire cared about its pilots they would have had nothing but full Squadrons of Defenders at the battle of Endor.

Just because you had the odd modifications does not mean they cared.

BenderIsGreat likes this

Re: Imperial attitudes toward TIE pilots:

Judging how many times they fished my alter ego out of space and subjected him to some floaty high-tech Imperial medical treatment after I'd gotten my TIE shot out from under me yet AGAIN in the old LucasArts TIE Fighter video game, it would seem that they put at least a little value on their pilots.  :)

We are likely going to get an Imperial Gozanti Cruiser for the GR-75 Transport equivalent.

10231954603_4ffb4ac787_o.jpg

What do you all think?

Spotted this the other day and I was thinking they are from the same show right?

bottom_of_imperial_cruiser_by_tattooedho

original_by_tattooedhobbit-d6qoq8o.jpg

Oh, I just noticed the roof, that must be a projector screen of some sort,

but it was the underside detail that I thought was most interesting.

Edited by gabe69velasquez

We are likely going to get an Imperial Gozanti Cruiser for the GR-75 Transport equivalent.

10231954603_4ffb4ac787_o.jpg

What do you all think?

Spotted this the other day and I was thinking they are from the same show right?

original_by_tattooedhobbit-d6qoq8o.jpg

Yeah I have that image in my files. This model is a very expensive and now out of print resin kit that was made years ago.

Yeah I have that image in my files. This model is a very expensive and now out of print resin kit that was made years ago.

So can you tell us what the big circle between the docking ports is??

That is just a general bay for larger ship docking.

It looks too big for that, and also the TIE docking extensions would then have to be retractable. Maybe some kind of loading platform that drops to the ground, G-Force style.

(not the guinea pigs)

Exgodphonix03.jpg

G-Force_-_group_shot2.jpg

Edited by gabe69velasquez
oneway likes this

It's a cargo elevator. Gozanti Cruisers are haulers first and foremost- freighters.

But The Empire has made use of several things not intended for military purposes. And very well, at that.

oneway likes this

Calling it myself:

Imperial GR-75 Equivalent:

500px-BFF1BulkFreighter-TCG.jpg

Meet the BFF-1 Bulk Freighter, a stalwart of the Imperial supply lines and target of opportunity for X-Wing (video game) players everywhere.

See those 4 Class-A Cargo Containers it's carrying?  They will be detachable, and mountable on  individual flight stands to use as obstacles / objectives / whatever...

And the CR-90 equivalent?

D_Nebulon-B1.jpg

Oh yes.  You know it.

This. A thousand times this.

FTS Gecko likes this

No. He means if the Empire cared about its pilots they would have had nothing but full Squadrons of Defenders at the battle of Endor.

Just because you had the odd modifications does not mean they cared.

Thank you for getting it, Rambler. 

And further, why bother recovering a damaged TIE fighter. The Empire can stamp them out like a tray of cookies and clone er-- forcibly conscript er-- recruit whole air wings of pilots, so they'd just let the thing float away whether or not the pilot lived. 

Don't forget who runs the Empire. 

SidiousSenate.png

"HELLOOOOOOOOOOO DARLINGS!"

He lets perfectly good Sith apprentices die. TIE pilots are like toilet paper to him.

Edited by BenderIsGreat

Here's my idea for the Gozanti TIE transport.

Give it a Deploy action, assign up to 4 fighters to it.

During its activation phase, after it executes a maneuver it can take the Deploy action, the controlling player places one or more of the assigned ships within range 1 of the Gozanti's base, then these ships may execute their maneuvers and actions.

This allows you to have your 4 fighters up to 15 bases from the imperial edge of play in the first round (if the Gozanti performed a 4 forward and deployed its fighters in front of it, and they moved 5 forward). I might limit the fighters' maneuver to green only, or they might need to loose their action that turn.

While docked to the Gozanti, fighters are protected by its shields and share its 0 Agility.

R2Servo and Rob Jedi like this